Who are the people here that hunt the legendary lost treasures?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... Texas Jay is quite correct, and obviously you have not moved in that realm ...

Ok. So of the treasure-legends that "make the rounds" in md'ing circles, it's not that some of them aren't indeed being found and aren't indeed real. Right ? Instead, the reason why we never hear of any of them being found, is a) conspiracies, and b) loose lips sinks ships.

And I would also add some other personal favorites: c) that the finders are "keeping mum" because they're afraid of the IRS wanting taxes, and d) afraid that thieves will target their homes. Eh ?

But rest assured: The stories are true. It's just that people are keeping mum. Right ? Nevermind that other caches routinely make the news every year, from around the globe. Those people were just fools to go public, show & tell, etc... Right ?

You got me. I can't disprove anything you're saying. Like trying to disprove leprechauns: If someone asks for proof of the existence of leprechauns, the believer merely points out that the "they hide, when you go to look for them, therefore you never see them. But rest assured, they exist". Eh ?

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Tom
pointless to dispute another's belief systems, and specifically to (attempt to) prove a negative
I would observe merely that there are some who pursue big stuff, about which non-participants hear little.
Just that what they may or may not find we, little guys, may or more likely will never hear a word about.
That we do not know implies little about anything - as we do not know.
speculate? sure, but such is entertainment

I could say that virgins do not exist - because I have never known one.
Would I be correct? hell no, a lack of experience all would say

Bill

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ,I will go and shovel another couple of yards of gold mining grey sand into the heavy gauge corrugated Cyanide Vat . Drain off in 24 hours and may have a go next weekend. Now i leave you experts to continue your debate.

Thats only one of my current projects and you all know about treasure hunting. I think not. TP

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One may only know and understand a TH if one is in the same or similar business. The treasure is not necessary made of gold or any other precious metal.

Last edited:

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a couple of stories about a friend of mine, who was and maybe still is a member of this site, who has found at least $200,000 of probably the largest depositors of buried treasure in the United States, the Knights of the Golden Circle. Ask him how dangerous big-time treasure hunting is, especially for those who are on the right track. They'll also, no doubt, advise you to keep your mouth shut if you get close to recovering a large treasure. They've been there and experienced it. The LA Times story tells about "the teacher" who "doubled back without him" and found a "Wells Fargo safe full of gold coins". These are not just myths and legends. These are true stories about real treasure that has been found fairly recently. The Oklahoma teacher's name, by the way, is Michael Griffith. Warren Getler and Bob Brewer wrote and published a book called "Rebel Gold".

Bob Brewer

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-treasure5dec05-story.html

~Texas Jay

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....who has found at least $200,000 of probably the largest depositors of buried treasure in the United States, the Knights of the Golden Circle....

No doubt: Anecdotal stories abound. But naturally, none of them come forward. Because they will be killed, or the IRS will come knocking, or thieves will target them, etc... Eh ?

As far as your 2nd link, Sure: Who could possibly dispute turtle markers and ... uh ...er... certain unconventional TH'ing wand methods? :dontknow:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ,Anyone see the pics posted of the rare white diamond on the news today .Found at the Argyle Mine in March.
28.84 Carrot . Found and made public . No BS TP

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... . Found and made public . No BS TP

Simply amazing that no one hunted down the finder and killed them. Eh ? Or that the diamond wasn't stolen from them by thieves tipped off when the story went public, eh ? Or that the person wasn't immediately bogged down in legal night-mares, IRS, blah blah .

But seriously now, Yes: There are big-ticket items that get found, and make the news all the time . And/or bragging rights trophies on forums, etc... Which is why I reject the notion that the legend-type stories of finds are true, yet people are simply secretive "for fear of their lives" blah blah.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply amazing that no one hunted down the finder and killed them. Eh ? Or that the diamond wasn't stolen from them by thieves tipped off when the story went public, eh ? Or that the person wasn't immediately bogged down in legal night-mares, IRS, blah blah .

But seriously now, Yes: There are big-ticket items that get found, and make the news all the time . And/or bragging rights trophies on forums, etc... Which is why I reject the notion that the legend-type stories of finds are true, yet people are simply secretive "for fear of their lives" blah blah.

Hi Tom .In the past several states in Australia actually put up huge rewards on certain myths of lost treasure .Not one of the rewards was ever claimed . TP

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was an exhibition held in EU, maybe a year ago, or so, showing artefacts from private Collectors, items found, but never reported to reweal slitely the "black" (illegal) side. Cortributors ware manly from Eastern countries. Those treasures ware not "legendary" but quite a vision to behold, non the less. One can conclude the activity "behind the scenes" is rather vivid.

OP
OP
R

research guy

Apr 8, 2019
PA
Primary Interest:
Other
What I find interesting in reading through this conversation is seeing the spectrum of people's beliefs and understandings, and what they are willing to discuss. I think it's great.

some points that need to be made regarding what I am seeing in this thread concern "show and tell". I've seen a lot of statements that have been made over the years of people claiming to have found certain things, and others demanding proof and evidence of these things.

"Prove" that you've solved the "Beale cipher", Is a good example. I personally don't have the answer to this cipher. But I know that if someone has solved it, there is no way for them to prove any of it without giving up their entire position on it. The solution is the solution tho the cipher, and you can't prove part of it.

Another would be that someone matches up information that places the find in national parks, or personal property. It would make sense that in the matter of privately owned land, again you have to give up your entire position in order to try and obtain a treasure that you have zero rights too the find in the first place.

When I've read people making claims on this website over the years, it's hard to tell the difference between someone that is placed in these positions and have actually found what they were looking for, versus someone that thinks they've found something on property that is not theirs, and therefore having no right to claim it. It doesn't mean they didn't find it, they just can't retrieve it without giving up their information.

i see claims that are made on this site, and I like to be happy for people making the claims. I know better than to ask them to prove their claim, because it would be naive for them to actually do it, and unless they have already fully recovered the find, it would be ignorant for them to give up their position on it. Even if they have recovered everything, revealing your position would be to also give away your position and become a target of government and nefarious people.

Having said these things, lots of people have made claims throughout history, and some of these are now our legendary hunts. Without these historical claims we would have little to none trial to follow, or markers to use chasing them. In the modern day, it doesn't make much sense to make public claims of finds, but I'll still read them with interest when I see them.

Someone on this site recently made the claim of starting a hoax related to a legendary hunt, and was trying to prove they were the origination of the hoax. They are essentially trying to claim giving this hunt it's legendary status, from my perspective. I have an issue with this. Why purposefully insert false information into an already difficult task? Whether or not you find a legendary treasure is neither here nor there. It's the hunt that we take pleasure in. We require these old claims to sift through trying to find relevance in some of the information. To introduce hoax information purposefully, is ignorant, and useless.

Luckily, this particular hoax information doesn't affect me. But rather than easily and pursefully create a hoax, try finding the target instead. You will find things not related to your target by default. Maybe you will get really lucky.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
...It doesn't mean they didn't find it, they just can't retrieve it without giving up their information. .....

Sorry. I'm not buying this definition of "found". If you've followed T'net long enough: There's been no shortage of people who say they "found" (past tense) some fabulous treasure. And so now they're inquiring about what detectors can go 6 meters deep. Or how to drain a swamp to reach it. Or how to overcome government obstacles. Or where to smelt 600 lbs of gold bars, etc....

And once they've got multiple inputs on the "best detector" or "govt. red tape", or "smelting gold bars", someone gets a little more 'pointed' about the treasure itself, that they claim to have "found". And then sure as heck, it's one of these scnearios where they've narrowed it down to a certain cave, or certain canyon, or certain lake bottom, etc... But rest assured, they've "found" (past tense) it. Right ?

Sorry, I'm not buying it.

As for whether some people remain "mum" when finding goodies: SURE ! But no, this does not justify every camp-fire ghost story legend as "true" . And sure, the person doesn't have to "show" it to the world. But that's a far cry from never having seen a red-cent (by their own admission), yet still using the past tense "found".

OP
OP
R

research guy

Apr 8, 2019
PA
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not going to disagree with anything you've just said tom. I've even seen someone try to gain investors in their attempts to make these claims. My point is that by entering claims into the public forum that you've found something, by default you are setting yourself up for skepticism, whether it is deserved or not. By making the claims publicly, the exact next step come from the "prove it" department, which again by default, you can't do without showing your cards and giving up your position on it.

When somebody produces a lost 5 dollar gold coin md'ing, they post it on Tnet and everybody is happy for them, and they've put their money where there mouth was. Other people are content with mining their own claims, making lots of headway, and say nothing about it.

But here is a realistic hypothetical...... you hypothetically find a lost mine only to find out that it is currently claimed. Maybe the person that has the claim knows nothing of its history, and the person that located it on purpose, has no rights to it. Yet it is no less a win for that person that was looking for it. The only difference is, that if you make the public claim that you've "found" it, you by default become the bullseye on the public skepticism dart board. In reality, many people find something on land, only to find out later that it is claimed when they go to claim it themselves. It's just part of the process and a consequence of treasurehunting. But we all still treasure hunt anyway. It's the thrill of the chase, and maybe you get lucky in the process.

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Whites SL90, Surf PI, Minelab Excalibur 800
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Those legendary treasures are the only treasures to hunt for I don't know if there are any new treasures today that I wil waste my time looking for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread