Who are the people here that hunt the legendary lost treasures?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
There are a lot of people that I see like the coin shoots, and the relic hunts. But who are the people here that hunt the legendary lost treasures?

Everything we find is a legendary lost treasure in its own rights!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People sometimes will ask you looking for treasure and believe me I am robbery loot jars of coins I did find a jar of pennies but my town is too boring no treasure tales but I'm still looking. Tommy

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well since the Peacock Throne is whereabouts unknown I do keep an eye out in case someone buried it in a local park or old fairgrounds.

You never know.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
I take a stab at local legendary treasures at times.

No luck yet.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do, and I'm not embarrassed to admit it. The lure of legendary treasures is what first got me into metal detecting/treasure hunting when I was 14 in 1969 so I've been seeking and finding treasure of all kinds ever since. In those days, long before the Internet, it was the legendary treasures that got most of us into the hobby because treasure and old western magazines published stories about them in every issue unlike now, when those of us who seek the big treasures have to rely on old books and other forms of offline research to get most of our leads as the Net is severely lacking in that regard. We didn't have or need computerized detectors, pinpointers, and digital cameras (filming our every find) wasting our time. We spent it actually treasure hunting, not trying to make a popular YouTube video. :) But don't ask me if I've ever found one of those legendary treasures because that's strictly between me and the IRS.
~Texas Jay

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll admit I've spent a lot of hours hunting down the gold from an old stage robbery. Fortunately, it's not far from home, so I can be out there in 45 minutes. It's a nice break from prospecting.
Jim

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Plenty of lost treasure leads to be found, research is important. Of course this topic is of interest to me, yesterday our 19th book was released.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... research is important. ....

Here is where the devil is in the details. I assume, that by the "research" you allude to, is to ascertain the validity and truthfulness of the various components of the story. Eg.: Names of actual persons that .... yes did exist, and yes did live there, etc... Right ? Names and dates of battles or bank-robberies, etc.... Right ? Factual-ness of persons who said they saw such & such, and therefore suspect such & such, etc.... Right ?

And for every-single-one of the treasure legends: YES ! You can fill volumes full of "facts that line up". Eg.: Names, dates, events, probable conspiracy motives, "uncanny squiggles on rocks", fuel capacity of ships, fibers, etc....

None of the legends ever starts with: "Once upon a time". And so your "research" would be a success. Right ? The treasure legend crowd can announce "true", eh ?

But this fails to take into account that ALL treasure legends are based on facts. Eg.: Names, dates, events. Around which is spun a treasure story. So let's say that your "research" shows that 99% of the story is "true". Ok, but if the 1% (about the treasure) isn't true, then what good does the 99% true do ?

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, White's Goldmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do a lot of big Alaskan legends. Check out the website in my signature. It has some of my bigger projects.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....But don't ask me if I've ever found one of those legendary treasures because that's strictly between me and the IRS....

This is my favorite, when it comes to discussion of "big ticket treasures" (and the oft-times unconventional methods that seem to go hand-in-hand with finding them) : When you press the believers/advocates for examples (proofs), then .... it's like here: The suggestion (albeit veiled) that big-ticket treasures are being found. But ... lo & behold : They don't show or tell anyone. Because they're afraid that the I.R.S. might come to claim taxes.

Another variation on this is: They're afraid that thieves might target their house. Right ?

But oddly: There is always accounts, made public , of treasures found. Even here on T'net, some mighty nice stuff (even caches) makes it's way on to our show & tell "Today's find" section (yes, even caches sometimes). Did any of them ever have the IRS come knocking on their door ? Were any of them the target of thieves ? And bigger ones found, for example, in the news, by const. workers. Or by someone walking their dog. Or by some dude named Mel Fisher, etc.... Doesn't seem to have stopped them from claiming their well-deserved bragging rights.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anybody that claimed bragging rights to a truly large treasure hoard would be a fool. Or, so rich they didn't care about the money.
Robert Ringer said it very well in one of his books..."your ego is the biggest overhead item you have" or words to that effect.
Jim

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Anybody that claimed bragging rights to a truly large treasure hoard would be a fool. ...

Ok then. So can we assume that big-ticket treasures are being found frequently. But that we just don't hear about them, because it was non-fools who found them. Right ? (and thus kept quiet). And those who HAVE told about finding them (headlines we read in the newspapers) were "fools". Right ?

But: Rest assured big ticket treasure legend stuff is getting found. But no-proof need-be-forthcoming. Because of the dastardly IRS. Right ?

Just making sure I understand you correctly.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Frequently?

Even "infrequently". The point remains: It seems to be the easy "out". And sure: There are sure to be people who've stayed "hush hush". But .... on the other hand .... they can't have their cake and eat it too. Ie.: to claim "treasure" (via their own skills, or via their chosen TH'ing method), but then turn right around and say: "Sorry, no proof forthcoming".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread