Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. Hope everyone is well. I had a hunt last week in some fields close to my house. On this hunt i took my wife's brother with me, he also has just started with the hobby and he is using my ace 250. We drove around with my truck and found a spot to hunt next to the road. I usually drive into the fields and park my truck but on this hunt i stopped next to the road on the shoulder. I always hunt with one eye at all times on my vehicle. So across the road from my vehicle we were hunting behind some long reeds. At some point of time i noticed a guy ridding a bicycle past my truck and i kept on swinging the detector, when i looked at my truck again i noticed the guys bicycle lying on the shoulder of the road in front of my truck and i knew immediately here is trouble, it was at that time that i saw the guys head disappear behind my truck behind the canopy by the back wheel. This guy did not see us at all because of the long reeds. Anyway it took me 2 seconds to get through the reeds and across the road and i started shouting at the guy with the spade in one hand and the detector in the other hand, he came flying out from behind the truck. I shouted at him what he was up to and the guy kept saying nothing he was just looking. I only glanced at the back of the truck briefly before chasing the guy away who took of on his bicycle like a bat out of hell. At this point my wife's brother joined me to see what the commotion was. He wanted to go after the guy and i told him to leave it. Then when i walked to the back of my truck i only realized then that the back wheel valve was halfway turned out and the wheel was losing pressure. I turned around and told my wife's brother to go after the guy while i watched the detectors. He did run after the guy who at that time jumped of hes bicycle and took a short cut through the field. We could not catch him. i had to drive immediately after that to get home before the wheel went flat completely.

Thanks for reading and Happy Hunting to all

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are all kinds I guess, but I’ve never felt the urge to stop what I’m doing to deflate a random tire

wuzfuzzy

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
He would have had a couple of flat bike tires also.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
What was that idiot doing? I wish you would of caught him and dragged him into the Sheriff’s office. Maybe advertise “found bike” and see who shows up.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first it sounded like a very unusual event, but then I saw that you're in South Africa! I bet the perpetrator figured he'd immobilize the vehicle by letting the air out and then come back with some friends to steal it or at least strip the parts they could carry off. I'm glad you made it back safe.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd advise swapping your valve stem caps out with the ones that have the tool on the end to tighten schrader valves.
Also a $30 12 volt air compressor and repair kit under the seat.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple extra schrader valves would be handy as well.

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Officer...I just don't know how this guy ran into a tree...3 times in a row...must have been going too fast I guess...trying to get away from us I suppose...:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Got-Good-Tones

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread