Newfoundland fishing

histoguy

Apr 12, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on recent research, it is believed that fishing fleets from Scandinavia, Ireland, England had reached the fishing waters off Nova Scotia as early as the 800's, long before Columbus sailed. These fisherman sailed their fishing cogs along a route skirting Iceland and Greenland to N. America using routes originated by Vikings. Is it not possible that they then set up fishing outposts on the coasts to overwinter and also to process their catch? Possibly this is what is being found on Oak Island, and would be consistent with discoveries of 500 year old artifacts and construction ( but so far not a single piece of treasure). Why has this contact with the New World not been reported? It is because the fishermen wanted to keep the knowledge of these rich fishing banks to themselves without government influence ( and taxes). Slipways, attempts to modify beaches and the construction of structures related to fish processing camps would explain most if not all of what has been found so far.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting, thank you for sharing. Do you have any links to some of your researched sites? :icon_thumleft:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Possibly this is what is being found on Oak Island, ....

Or .... possibly the "what is being found on Oak Island" is nothing but embellished telephone game legend nonsense. And any of the supposedly "uncanny" things can, likewise ..... be found anywhere in the world if you dug enough pits and made enough conjectures.

I bet that i can walk a 1-mile circle from my house in Monterey, CA, and .... likewise .... find all sorts of uncanny out-of-place things (depressions, a gold link, fibers, logs, etc...) and make all sorts of conspiracy theories and conjectures.

Just like if you lie on your back and study the passing clouds: You can find all sorts of uncanny shapes, symbols, codes, etc... Eg.: a smiley face, a bunny, a big dipper, etc....

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from MI also Tommy

Erin_09

Jan 28, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great read and info,,Interesting, thank you for sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is no doubt that the French, Portugese and Basque fishermen knew about the Grand Banks before Columbus reached San Salvadore. It is likely they landed frequently to dry fish and collect freshwater and other supplies. There is even evidence of trade with the Inuits.

And the Scandanavians were at L'Anse aux Meadows as early as 900AD . . . likely other sites along the coast as well.

As far as Oak Island: there have been 28 groups digging, drilling, mining since 1795 and, so far as anyone knows, nothing of value or much interest has ever been found. Only the History Channel has found a way to prostitute it for more rewards as pseudo-history for a reality hungry TV audience.

Perhaps it was an Ancient Alien landing site? :BangHead:

Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasurenet from Arkansas,I like your story and link,I find that very interesting,much more so than the Oak Island TV show.Thank you.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome To The Show!...Histoguy

Based on recent research, it is believed that fishing fleets from Scandinavia, Ireland, England had reached the fishing waters off Nova Scotia as early as the 800's, long before Columbus sailed. These fisherman sailed their fishing cogs along a route skirting Iceland and Greenland to N. America using routes originated by Vikings. Is it not possible that they then set up fishing outposts on the coasts to overwinter and also to process their catch? Possibly this is what is being found on Oak Island, and would be consistent with discoveries of 500 year old artifacts and construction ( but so far not a single piece of treasure). Why has this contact with the New World not been reported? It is because the fishermen wanted to keep the knowledge of these rich fishing banks to themselves without government influence ( and taxes). Slipways, attempts to modify beaches and the construction of structures related to fish processing camps would explain most if not all of what has been found so far.

Yes!... Things found on Oak Island represent a "History" of artifacts left behind.

Hope to see more of your "Theories" and "Posts" here on TreasureNet!

Ramos7798

Banned
Sep 15, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking great work dear, I really appreciated to you on this quality work. Nice post!!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or .... possibly the "what is being found on Oak Island" is nothing but embellished telephone game legend nonsense. And any of the supposedly "uncanny" things can, likewise ..... be found anywhere in the world if you dug enough pits and made enough conjectures.

I bet that i can walk a 1-mile circle from my house in Monterey, CA, and .... likewise .... find all sorts of uncanny out-of-place things (depressions, a gold link, fibers, logs, etc...) and make all sorts of conspiracy theories and conjectures.

Just like if you lie on your back and study the passing clouds: You can find all sorts of uncanny shapes, symbols, codes, etc... Eg.: a smiley face, a bunny, a big dipper, etc....

I like to lie on my back and look at passing clouds.Beats working!

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is FAR more likely my ancestors were in Nova Scotia before Columbus discovered the New World, than it is the Templars buried a treasure on Oak Island.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Your second article hints of a successful winter habitation. Late as far as fishing the banks goes ;and not without suffering prior as happened elsewhere in other endeavors.

Winter of a chosen era. A diet of....Well likely fish. And whatever piolet bread or stocks were brought on ship.
However , away from home over the winter when communication was sparse could be trying. Of course it was in summer too.
Winter traffic reduced odds of ships staggered in passage vs summer allowing at least some news. War. Plague, who knows. It would take a lot to return without a sufficient catch , but being able to return seems it would affect morel. Or even hands.

If as in your article summer camps were the norm , ( no argument from me on that ) why would winter camps matter?
Ship repairs should have been a regular affair. And summer beats winter for such work.
Winter could cause more wear and damage too. But I'm no authority on storm seasons involving Oak Island or connecting routes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions