Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was hobbling out to the truck from a convenience store and was preparing to get into it. I have a Tacoma which I love except for getting into it. I was about to begin my not so pretty entry when this guy in the truck next to me speaks, "I don't recon these so called "Golden Years" are what they claim that they would be." I turned to see the older guy as he shook his head. "I can barely walk or do anything, kind of like you."

I smiled as I told him, "The only thing golden about getting old so far has been getting up at night for the "Golden Flow." He laughed and agreed. When I was a young man, my father used to gripe at me for hunting and fishing. He said that I needed to be working all the over time that I could get, to save all of that for the golden years. I told him that I didn't know if I would make it to the golden years and so I planned to do what i could while I could.

While there are some that manage to live into their 90s and can still run and jump etc, a lot of us aren't that lucky. There are a ton of things that my mind still thinks that I should be able to do but my body screams otherwise. A very old man once told me that if you manage to get old, you had better be very good at math. What he meant was subtracting, subtracting what you can do or what works right.

My now 83 year old father is still fairly active but has been forced to be as he says, "A lot smarter as to how he does things." He doesn't get in a hurry anymore and only works when he feels like it. He has had both shoulders replaced and two finger joints with two more waiting to be done. The "Mileage" can be pretty rough for some of us and it is later when we really pay for it. And some of us that finally get to retire, end up working more than we did before we retired LOL. It is what it is.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I went into a small grocery store. An old lady with a shopping cart on line to pay out of nowhere says, "When I was in my 70's I thought I was old. Now I look back and realize that I was actually young." Some one asked, "How old are you?" "Ninety two!," she replied. Thats a true story. One that stuck with me.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
I read recently (link?) of a study done on old men to determine the characteristics of 70 year olds that best indicate if they will live to their 90s.
And the most positive indicators were . . . . excessive alcohol consumption and being overweight.
As a sidenote it was observed that (statistically speaking) all of the 90 year olds were incapacitated.

Being 73 I can confirm that subtraction is the metric, I wish I had more confidence in being able to die at a time of my choosing.

old Bill

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get yourself some of those motorized running boards that drop down when you open the door. They look really slick.
The other thing I recommend is getting a 4-wheeler with a cushy seat or one of those UTV's. Something that a guy can putt around on when the knees and hips start bothering you. Anything that makes life easier and allows you to stay active outdoors. In some states the UTV's are street legal and you can use them as grocery getters!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread