Ammonia, Navel Jelly, Peroxide, And Gasoline, What Next?

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 20190215_222021.jpg
    20190215_222021.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 64

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.doityourself.com/stry/cleaning-brass-using-vinegar

Try vinegar. I'm assuming it's brass? If you use straight white vinegar be careful and keep an eye on it. I've ruined stuff by throwing it in and forgetting about it.:laughing7: Find it months later and the vinegar is bright green and it will take the oxide off that's for sure. It may take a few tries. Another thing I found that actually works on Iron oxide is Molasses, but I never tried it on Brass to see it it would work, just on steel. I'm surprised ammonia didn't touch it. You can lightly,carefully, go over it with a fiberglass brush, they also have fiberglass pens that are used in electronics. If you get some of that outside hard surface scratched up the acid that you use will work a little better. That is some hard stuff!!!

When your done you want to neutralize it. baking soda water works. I know people will get all technical about this in other forums about neutralizing, but if you do it with a mixture of baking soda and water, it's better than nothing. If not the acid from the vinegar will keep working at it... or any acid that you use. I may be wrong but I think people use milk to try to neutralize things too...any attempt is better than nothing.

added.....I've learned that some of this kind of stuff ends up looking better if left alone and some mineral oil(for brass and copper and is sold at the drug store in the laxative section :laughing7:) rubbed into it. most times it looks shiny, pitted up, and loss of detail when the oxides are removed. But....No one could tell me any different when I had stuff I wanted "clean". :laughing7:

Last edited:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Andres Pencils, the tightly compressed 0 grit steel wool one only. It will allow you to “grind” off the verdigris as much or as little as you want. I don’t think a chemical bath will work.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Andres Pencils, the tightly compressed 0 grit steel wool one only. It will allow you to “grind” off the verdigris as much or as little as you want. I don’t think a chemical bath will work.

I've been looking at Andres Pencils myself, will probably pull the trigger soon - only about $20 probably plus shipping.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions