Possible native American rock art or tool? Really cool natural rock? Opinions?

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This rock was found in western NC on land that was inhabited by native Americans for thousands of years. We were just flipping rocks in a dry creek bed near a known native American gathering site. My dad picked this one up and it just looked too purposely done to be natural, but nature is amazing so I'm stumped. The mark is really depressed into the stone and there is significant color change between the stone and the"carving". The item was photographed and placed back, even though we were on private land, out of pure respect. Is this natural? Is this an artifact? Any opinions? This was treasure to us even if it is natural, very cool! received_308905289779371.jpeg
Jim Brown
Bonez Customs and Collectables

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... We were just flipping rocks in a dry creek bed....

Here's something to consider : If anyone just goes "flipping rocks in dry creek beds" long enough. And studies to find uncanny designs, then: I'll bet that ..... yes ......... they can eventually find uncanny designs. Eg.: a smile face, an x, etc.....

Just as in if you lie on your back and study the passing clouds long enough : You will eventually see a clown, a big dipper, etc.... My bet is: It's random nothingness.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeeze, you thought it was ancient art so you put it back down on the ground "out of respect". Just seems so backwards.

I think it is probably just an interesting rock, but you never know.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Indian gods put it there for you to find. You dissed them by leaving it. Bad Karma. HaHa! You better go back and get it. Gary

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well... we all know where the interesting rock is now. ;)

OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody! Thanks for the replies. I pretty much figured the same thing, just had to have some outside opinions lol. As I said, nature is amazing and this rock was pretty strange. Yes, I placed it back out of respect. I could retrieve the rock any time as it is on private property owned by my family. I did place it back out of respect. I am part native American and we are taught that these things are not meant to be taken from where they lie. I am a treasure hunter and it is enough for me to photograph and return things that may be related to Native Americans. I ain't leaving behind any silver change etc though for sure lol! Sorry if I sound crazy for returning the item, but I believe it is the way things are meant to be. Even if it's just a cool rock, I'm fine with it lying in the same creek bed its been for longer than I've been around. Thanks for confirming the suspicion that this just looked man made. Still a very strange depression unlike any other rock we saw. Looks pretty cool lol. I'm heading back to the area today... maybe I'll find something else to post! Im bringing my metal detector and looking for something dropped by one of the many passers by, recorded starting in the mid 1700s! Wish me luck.

OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.S. NOBODY knows where the cool rock is, except me lol! Sorry guys, no permissions granted here either...Family invite only lol.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... Im bringing my metal detector and looking for something dropped by one of the many passers by, recorded starting in the mid 1700s! Wish me luck.

Good luck. Yes, I'm all for "taking those things dropped" by the post-contact people that passed by :) That's one good thing about being in the hobby of metal detecting, is that the items we're looking for is that post-contact period, which has MUCH LESS bruhaha laws & sensitivities .

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's interesting.

There is SO much culture loss that has occurred in the last 180 years, I would think preserving artifacts for future Native American generations would be encouraged. Especially artistic artifacts. You would think there would be a tribal museum that would accept random finds not associated with burials or offerings.

To each their own. Personal beliefs are important.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... Especially artistic artifacts....

Who said this was an "artistic artifact " ?

I don't doubt that those "tribal museums" would be rushing to display "artistic artifacts". Trouble is: Everyone and their brother thinks that every odd rock or squiggle is an "artistic artifact" sometimes.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya never know what people made back then and they weren't all artists lol

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who said this was an "artistic artifact " ?

I don't doubt that those "tribal museums" would be rushing to display "artistic artifacts". Trouble is: Everyone and their brother thinks that every odd rock or squiggle is an "artistic artifact" sometimes.

If you read my previous message I said what I thought it was.
The remainder of the conversation was about the belief that IF it were an artifact, out of respect it should be left be.
Hope that clears it up.

Additionally, to his credit, Mrmarshill did not come here claiming this was an artifact. Came here with an open mind.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions