Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By IMAUDIGGER
  • 1 Post By Madmox

Thread: Boots

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2016
    2349 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Boots

I wear boots 365 days a year.
    From in the snow to pounding the pavement to hiking in the mountains.
    In the past I've worn the following logger style boots:
    Redwing boots (last 11 months)
    Wesco boots (last 1.5 years)(rebuildable)
    Whites (last 2 years) (rebuildable)
    Danner Quarry (last 1 year) (recraftable - meaning you can put new soles on them)
    Danner Rainforest (last 1.5 year) (recraftable)

Currently I have the Danner Rainforest boots and they have failed at 1 year due to insulation balling up under the boot liner. It's damaging my feet.

Sounds like Danner is going to take care of me by giving me store credit.
    The only other boot they make that looks sturdy is the Flash Point. They weigh 100oz. Per pair!

Thinking of switching to a lighter boot and plan on having soles put on them in 1-1.5 years ($130).
    Has anybody ever worn the Danner Mountain Light boots?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	800B843B-4D55-4698-B0FF-89F76D1FAF23.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	1703317

This one piece upper leather boot design has been around since 1979!
    It has very good reviews on their website.
    I'm wondering how they hold up to daily use?
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Apr 15, 2019 at 04:39 PM.
    Kray Gelder likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    4504 times
    Metal Detecting
    My 2 cents worth...I was a diehard, heavy leather, vibram soled boot kind of guy for 30 years. Unless you're scrambling over scree slopes battling broken rock and boulders, I found it's not necessary. Find yourself some good tough nylon shelled, gortex lined, ankle high, insulated or not, boots with lug soles with give in the rubber, unlike the rock-hard vibram. Your feet will thank you. I have not tried the lightweight Danner, but owned a heavy duty pair years ago. Really tough, really heavy. Good luck.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Mar 2016
    2349 times
    I probably need more than one pair of boots.

I do find myself digging in my heels on steep ground...scrambling down that steep slope where you gotta keep your feet moving. Jumping from granite boulder to boulder, but only on weekends.

The remainder of the week I'm either in the field or behind a desk...kicking up clods of dirt detecting after work.

I'm curious how the Mountain Light boots actually hold up to more than annual hunting trips.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Mar 2016
    2349 times
    Here's the Danner Rainforest after 365 days.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D0294F1D-5CF8-4122-9A31-185503942578.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	544.3 KB 
ID:	1703417

Mar 2014
    342 times
    For my money, nothing are better than Wescos. Iíve had one pair for the last 10 years. Been resoled twice. Had the uppers patched from an incident with an angry girlfriend. And I still wear the hell out of them. I got a pair of the thick felt insoles for them. Most comfortable supportive sturdy boots Iíve ever owned. And I absolutely abused mine for years as an industrial electrician. I had a pair of Danner Rainforests that work bought me that had an eyelet pull out in less than a month and the leather was nowhere near as heavy as the leather Wesco uses. Sure the wescos are heavy but the support is worth it. I have a pair of Hoffmanís for work that Iíve had for a few years. They are gore-Tex lined and seem to be holding up well. The sole is much more stable than the Wescos because the heel is much lower and wider. Let me ask tomorrow what the lineman at work are wearing, as I recall, they are all wearing the same boot almost to the man and it was not a brand I was really familiar with, and they are all swearing but them. Hell, even the gas crews are wearing them.
    Toecutter likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Mar 2016
    2349 times
    Probably Nick's Boots.

At this point I am going to have Danner store credit (I hope) so it really doesn't matter what brand is best.
    I'm looking at Danners.
    ----------
    For discussion sake, Wesco boots were a good value, then the price shot up.
    That's when I quit wearing them.
    About same price as Whites now, which last longer in my opinion.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Apr 16, 2019 at 12:49 AM.

us
    Only boaring people get board

Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    Quest Pro Garrett AT Pro Whites ID5 classic pro
    419 times
    Gotta love the Wescos they are awesome, I dont work outdoors anymore and only wear boots out exploring or detecting, I have bin happy with the Bates side zip boots.... i would recommend looking into some of the Government issue boots...

Mar 2014
    342 times
    So just to add a little more discussion, the boot of choice around here with the field crews are Meindl Boots. Everyone of of them swears by them.
    Using Tapatalk

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links