Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: are "treasure hunters" narcissists ?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2015
    3054 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Getting backing to the original question Are treasure hunters narcissist?

The general definition of narcissist is a person who has an excessive interest in or admiration of themselves. I have no doubt some people who engage in treasure hunting have narcissist tenancies. But it would be hugely unfair to label that character trait to all people who engage in treasure hunting. Nor is egocentricity a character trait in all treasure hunters either?

Egocentrism is the inability to differentiate between self and other. ... Although egocentrism and narcissism appear similar, they are not the same. A person who is egocentric believes they are the center of attention, like a narcissist, but does not receive gratification by one's own admiration.

However I have no doubt some treasure hunters display those character traits. But no different from any field of en-devour. You will find those traits in business men, professional sports people, Company directors, managers, politicians,even with Artists and music entertainers.

Kanacki
    Last edited by KANACKI; Apr 21, 2019 at 09:21 AM.

May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    587 times
    You are correct, I am just a bit baffled by those who would think of themselves as THers wanting their mug on TV.

Bill
    KANACKI likes this.

Mar 2015
    3054 times
    Hello Bill

Why would anyone humiliate themselves on TV reality shows period? Yet they do?

However the term treasure hunters is used these days very broadly. And peoples perception of what a treasure hunter really is? Is influenced by Hollywood and the media perceptions of what treasure hunters are. This has been ingrained so much in society today even archaeologists believe it.

In fact truth be told the more passionate treasure hunters are more like archaeologists they become. Except they have more of profit leaning motive than just a pure altruistic one. The Irony of it all even archaeologists in their quest to get to truth in making a name for themselves of writing ground breaking thesis can display egocentricity and narcissist qualities.

Sadly these qualities can be traced back to the style of teaching at universities, passing on their cognitive bias in which these qualities are ingrained into students by academics without any real life skills.

Kanacki
    Last edited by KANACKI; Apr 21, 2019 at 10:39 AM.
    BillA, Blak bart and Ditlihi like this.

May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    587 times
    at times it seems some of these so stridently vocal shriekers have majored in narcissim
    sad

Bill
    KANACKI likes this.

Charter Member

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 36°60'
    4564 times
    I'm not narcissistic but if I was I'd be D@mn good at it.
    Tpmetal likes this.
    Liberty is the Freedom to do the next Right thing.

In God We Trust

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    23996 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    No Im not
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Sep 2018
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Max
    1846 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BillA View Post
    You are correct, I am just a bit baffled by those who would think of themselves as THers wanting their mug on TV.

Bill
    In this day and age of youtube where everyone can be a star... and tv treasure hunters... we tend to forget that these people are entertainers of sorts. They are sharing their quest and their finds and knowlege with a sometimes large audience. It's not solely for their fame. As much as I laugh at the youtube video makers I really love watching people make the finds.

us
    Hey! I found a .........

Jul 2006
    TEXAS
    914 times
    A narcissist is someone who "gets off" on himself. These kinds of people are found in all walks of life. Someone who is simply fascinated by finding interesting or valuable things or the adventure that goes with it, is a treasure hunter.
    If you get a depth reading of four inches and you've dug down two feet and widened your hole several times and still get a signal, GIVE UP!

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2007
    8098 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I think very little about myself .. a mere fluke of the universe ... but I love getting out and swinging a detector. If I find something, that's great .. If I don't.. That's great too! I think it stems from my grandfather's teachings to me as a child - The Lesson: "He who expectith nothing. ain't going to be disappointed" I live by that lesson.
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

us
    Sep 2015
    Bowie, Texas
    Minelab Equinox 800
    After reading all the different discussions in the forums, I think there is someone in CA that answer that question often. JMHO

Charter Member
    us
    Only boaring people get board

Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    Mine Lab Equinox 800, Mine Lab Pro Find 35, Quest Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer 2, Whites ID5 Classic
    637 times
    I feel like most Youtubers are the type that like to hear them selves talk and they are the people that love to talk and talk...

us
    Mar 2006
    Southwest
    MXT, V3
    65 times

May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    587 times
    Thanks Dick
    obituary of Richard Ray 2016

us
    Oct 2018
    NE Ohio
    Minelab Equinox 600 Garrett AT Max Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
    889 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
    I feel like most Youtubers are the type that like to hear them selves talk and they are the people that love to talk and talk...
    Youtubers are an interesting bag of mixed nuts. Some are so full of themselves that ive unsubscribed from their channels, while some others I can watch for hours. After 68 years on this blue orb, I’ve gotten pretty good at sizing up folks within the first few minutes of meeting them or watching their channels, and I can pretty much figure who’s a phony and who’s genuine. I’m pretty sure others my age are able do the same.

From that "superpower" I’ve determined is that I’m my own best friend, and I mostly enjoy spending time with myself, especially when detecting and small game hunting. I’m not antisocial, it’s just that I get tired of the "one upmanship" that comes with so many people, and their need to compete every time we go out. I’m going out to enjoy the day, not to compete against anyone...even myself!

I can count my true friends on a few fingers of one hand, and the rest of the people around me I count as acquaintances...they show up when they want or need something, and then you don’t hear from them until their next moment of desperation. Blood relatives are in this latter category as well, although I don’t hear from them as often since selling my pickup truck. (They weren’t happy about losing their delivery vehicle!)

As was said before, narcissists are found across the general population, but the one group that takes the cake are politicians...they also dominate the liar class as well.

JMHO YMMV
    Toecutter, BillA and Duckshot like this.

Charter Member

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 36°60'
    4564 times
    As was said before, narcissists are found across the general population, but the one group that takes the cake are politicians...they also dominate the liar class as well.
    Politicians? That ain't narcissism, it is phsycopathy.

Don't ever vote for a politician. Vote for statesmen.
    JoeVal likes this.
    Liberty is the Freedom to do the next Right thing.

In God We Trust

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links