are "treasure hunters" narcissists ?

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
I've been poking around for some years but, other than for some specific cases, always alone. And that is before, during, and after.
One best not tell a friend, as invariably that friend will have another friend with whom they share stuff; then a 3ed acquaintance says "hey, I heard . . . ." - and the word is out. (and now you know just what a friend is worth)

I have known few actual big-time hunters and presently know no one on this forum; my acquaintenances are dead so I feel free to use their names to make this point.
"Van" Fossen would talk, and talk, and talk. And then start again. And he never said one word he did not wish to.
Richard Ray was another with experiences beyond the pale and, apart from having an ego as big as Van's, was generally quite circumspect regarding actual recovery stuff.

And as I sit here writing, I have to question my original premise that (real) treasure hunters are not narcissists - because both of these fellows loved nothing more than to be on TV, and they would seem to exemplify supremely successful treasure hunters. But both these fellows were in business (metal detectors), so any publicity is favourable. There are others who are referred to in passing, but they keep the lowest possible profile. So is it the case that 'real' treasure hunters stay low v.s. wannabes that revel in the spotlight? (How could Van or Richard be called wannabes??)

TV is now a part of most lives and the influence of Hollywood, with lipstick and the acceptance of lying, has brought falsity into every household (for x hours daily - good parenting?). The TV generation has learned that money is good, that people with money are good, and any activity that yields money is good (our wars and killing for the MIC). TV is a commercial activity and they are focused on that which brings money, advertising. This applies to all programming; sitcoms, news, documentaries, the works. The topic of treasure hunting (something for nothing is the subconscious equation) has universal attraction, and can sell advertising.

What sells on TV? All of you can answer better than I as I have never had a TV (don't like lies and brainrot). I used to read some other gold forums (Alaska) and the posters would have these huge discussions about this or that program, viewers that had an interest (and long winters, lol). Again these were miners talking about mining, no different than THers talking about THing. So soliciting THers on this site is logical.

My question was: Are "treasure hunters" narcissists ?
comments ?

Bill

Last edited:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something for nothing is the subconscious equation... I do think you've hit upon something with that statement. Time is money and when you take your leisure time and spend it looking for something you do eventually start to think about it all. You spend 5 hours looking for a treasure and find 1 IHP. It makes your day. Though I'd never sell it I think to myself... Hmmm that's a 3 dollar coin. Do the math: My time is worth .60 cents an hr!!! Back to the statement about narcissism: very few are too impressed with my finds. It's the joy in my own head that is created by searching and finding. If I could find some incredible stuff and become famous doing it I would, but I'm fine with being fairly anonymous and doing my best to find something I personally like. There are certainly narcissists but I don't think being a treasure hunter is narcissistic. Maybe the act of being a big time hunter with a team and all that it's kind of like you have to be the boss and all the focus is on the boss. I don't know. Interesting thoughts on your part and I think you made some pretty true statements about what tv and entertainment is doing to our society.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I suspect a mixed bag.

Did not note any narcissism in the man that introduced me.
Rather more the opposite, and can not say I ever heard him blowing his own horn.
Being involved with museums. Decorating veterans graves. Reviving abandon cemeteries , grave finder information , publishing accurate local history ,ect..

Spotlight seekers (non business promoter types anyways) exist in most enterprises.
Doing so in the realm of treasure hunting would seem counter productive.
Not only setting ones-self up for unwanted company watching ,but also risk of theft or robbery ,blown leads , more false leads , and increased competition.

Though when on a trail he was understandably taciturn , on occasion very subtle evidence of success kept quite quiet emerged .

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well the philosophy I use is I only compete with myself. I know many seasoned detectorists both in person and through the internet.

Most of them have been more successful than yours truly but I'm ok with that. For me it's the exercise and fresh air as well as the thrill of the chase and the finds are just icing on the cake.

Since I mostly hunt urban green spaces quite a few people will come by to chat when they ask me what my best year was I say
probably about $1000. in clad, silver and gold finds. That seems to impress them my response is that it involved about 500 hours of detecting.

Do the math and I certainly could spend my time more profitably...:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

And yes there are those in the hobby that like to blow their own horn or get their ego stroked, however, that applies to most endeavors in life.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My older brother is a narcissist, and he's my older brother so he's wiser than me in all respects. He has to be dominant and gets angry when I don't allow it.

As a final point, I offered to show him my 12 ga if he came back up my holler.

We have ZERO relationship. He can't see the light in front of him and I will NEVER be his little puppy.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, BillA. Legitimate question. Personally, I dislike, and avoid labels. As in Treasure Hunter, or Narcissist. I don't consider myself a treasure hunter. When I can get out with my machine, I'm just seeing what I can find. Sometimes it's interesting, mostly not. Sometimes it has actual monetary value, but mostly not enough to justify the time spent. It's only a pastime for me. I am aware there are full time Treasure Hunters. Not sure they are narcissistic, certainly dedicated and focused. And not likely to be sharing in information. Good for them, I hope they find fame or fortune or both.

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
DADS, made me laugh
and I have a younger brother who is a narcissist, but he's not a THer or prospector so does not count/matter

Bill, don't know that its so much competition as the use of the 1st person pronoun "I" over and over, and the upturned faces

KG, I refer to my self as a looter (avoids ANY acclaim) and I've spent far more than ever found. But it is a private activity, it is most difficult for me to understand why a THer would want to be on TV.

Bill

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
DADS, made me laugh

Bill, don't know that its so much competition as the use of the 1st person pronoun "I" over and over, and the upturned facesBill

Certainly been around the block!

I've another friend of over 50 years, but haven't seen in years! Used to go by and see him when I was in the local area. I gave up, each time I visited, it was all about him. Couldn't even carry on a conversation with him. Good Lord get out of yourself!!! He's a tall man in his eyes - which equates to a serious inferiority complex to the extreme.

We as individuals have to keep our own "space". I'm not better than anyone else, yet do exclude those who dominate every aspect of whatever.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
  • Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from other people
  • Fixation on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
  • Self-perception of being unique, superior, and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Need for continual admiration from others
  • Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
  • Exploitation of others to achieve personal gain
  • Unwillingness to empathize with the feelings, wishes, and needs of other people
  • Intense envy of others, and the belief that others are equally envious of them
  • Pompous and arrogant demeanor

Certainly if you are seeking something that is not yours you are exploiting those who did or do own it (whether they know it or not). Granted, they may be centuries dead . . .

And a positive outlook is just another name for a "fantasy of success"

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Certainly if you are seeking something that is not yours you are exploiting those who did or do own it (whether they know it or not). Granted, they may be centuries dead . . .

And a positive outlook is just another name for a "fantasy of success"

huh ?
seeking something that is not (mine)
are you referring to THing? or to prospecting? or to grave robbing? (ancient graves can be very productive, ask any archaeologist)

"fantasy of success"
are you referring to people who found something? or to those not successful?

over 10,000 posts, I am amazed

Bill

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Think about it. If you already own it you cannot "find" a treasure (I guess if you misplaced it or made your treasure mark on a rock upside down and fooled yourself). And if it was not given to you then most likely someone else has stronger claims to ownership of whatever it is. Even the courts recognize lost items as still owned by the loser. I wasn't talking about graves. I was talking about whoever placed or lost a treasure. If the owner passed away then descendants, land-owners, citizens of the region equally sharing, etc. I don't think it is possible to claim a treasure without having exploited someone at some level; though it may be by proxy.

If you actually found something then there is no fantasy. That is then fact. If you are hopeful - that is still a fantasy of success.

And you needn't be offended if only two of the nine traits I quoted apply to you . . . Oh.

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel more like an addict than a narcissist because it is the rush of first seeing that old coin or artifact when I flip the plug or pin point. I keep it to myself too.

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been poking around for some years but, other than for some specific cases, always alone. And that is before, during, and after.
One best not tell a friend, as invariably that friend will have another friend with whom they share stuff; then a 3ed acquaintance says "hey, I heard . . . ." - and the word is out. (and now you know just what a friend is worth)

I have known few actual big-time hunters and presently know no one on this forum; my acquaintenances are dead so I feel free to use their names to make this point.
"Van" Fossen would talk, and talk, and talk. And then start again. And he never said one word he did not wish to.
Richard Ray was another with experiences beyond the pale and, apart from having an ego as big as Van's, was generally quite circumspect regarding actual recovery stuff.

And as I sit here writing, I have to question my original premise that (real) treasure hunters are not narcissists - because both of these fellows loved nothing more than to be on TV, and they would seem to exemplify supremely successful treasure hunters. But both these fellows were in business (metal detectors), so any publicity is favourable. There are others who are referred to in passing, but they keep the lowest possible profile. So is it the case that 'real' treasure hunters stay low v.s. wannabes that revel in the spotlight? (How could Van or Richard be called wannabes??)

TV is now a part of most lives and the influence of Hollywood, with lipstick and the acceptance of lying, has brought falsity into every household (for x hours daily - good parenting?). The TV generation has learned that money is good, that people with money are good, and any activity that yields money is good (our wars and killing for the MIC). TV is a commercial activity and they are focused on that which brings money, advertising. This applies to all programming; sitcoms, news, documentaries, the works. The topic of treasure hunting (something for nothing is the subconscious equation) has universal attraction, and can sell advertising.

What sells on TV? All of you can answer better than I as I have never had a TV (don't like lies and brainrot). I used to read some other gold forums (Alaska) and the posters would have these huge discussions about this or that program, viewers that had an interest (and long winters, lol). Again these were miners talking about mining, no different than THers talking about THing. So soliciting THers on this site is logical.

My question was: Are "treasure hunters" narcissists ?
comments ?

Bill

Hello Bill has Richard Ray passed away?

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe so, he was in declining shape when we last chatted about 7-8 yrs ago. Unable to contact for years.

Bill

Hello Bill I am saddened to hear that. He had been very obliging and helpful over the years. He gave one of my business partners an amazing gift from the time he lived down in Costa Rica.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting backing to the original question Are treasure hunters narcissist?

The general definition of narcissist is a person who has an excessive interest in or admiration of themselves. I have no doubt some people who engage in treasure hunting have narcissist tenancies. But it would be hugely unfair to label that character trait to all people who engage in treasure hunting. Nor is egocentricity a character trait in all treasure hunters either?

Egocentrism is the inability to differentiate between self and other. ... Although egocentrism and narcissism appear similar, they are not the same. A person who is egocentric believes they are the center of attention, like a narcissist, but does not receive gratification by one's own admiration.

However I have no doubt some treasure hunters display those character traits. But no different from any field of en-devour. You will find those traits in business men, professional sports people, Company directors, managers, politicians,even with Artists and music entertainers.

Kanacki

Last edited:
OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
You are correct, I am just a bit baffled by those who would think of themselves as THers wanting their mug on TV.

Bill

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Bill

Why would anyone humiliate themselves on TV reality shows period? Yet they do?

However the term treasure hunters is used these days very broadly. And peoples perception of what a treasure hunter really is? Is influenced by Hollywood and the media perceptions of what treasure hunters are. This has been ingrained so much in society today even archaeologists believe it.

In fact truth be told the more passionate treasure hunters are more like archaeologists they become. Except they have more of profit leaning motive than just a pure altruistic one. The Irony of it all even archaeologists in their quest to get to truth in making a name for themselves of writing ground breaking thesis can display egocentricity and narcissist qualities.

Sadly these qualities can be traced back to the style of teaching at universities, passing on their cognitive bias in which these qualities are ingrained into students by academics without any real life skills.

Kanacki

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions