Do you guys wear gloves while detecting?

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gloves always. Once you find a pair that fits you perfectly, either get additional pairs right away or write down the brand, model number and size somewhere so you'll have it for future purchases.

I've found these gloves fit my hands like they are custom made. They are my favorite blend of light but durable fabric with a rubber-like coating on the fingers and palms. Maxiflex 34-8743 Cut Resistent Gloves
$_12.JPG
Bob

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope .. Never wear gloves..except during the winter. So far..so good!

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the time! I never reach down into a hole without them on.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can’t stand gloves, they limit so many things, mostly touch, I like to feel around in the hole.

But I’m kind of weird about those things hate hats and sunglasses because both limit my vision and watches and necklaces are constantly bothering me if I have them on, sometimes while hunting arrowheads I’ll take my shoes off if there’s mud and feel under the mud with my feet while looking on the surface with my eyes

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I do wear sturdy leather gloves. I remember the second thing in my whole detecing career i dug was a bottle neck with crown cork still attached. Made me think.

Also keep I keep my tetanus shot current.

Greets Namxat

P.S: I wish we had so good protection against ticks like for pointy things.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never wear gloves..except during the winter.

Yep, the only times I wear them when bottle digging. Frozen hands aren't particularly useful.

To elaborate, here is the "sensory homunculus"
The sensory homunculus is a physical representation of the somatosensory cortex.

Front_of_Sensory_Homunculus.gif

The hands are extraordinary valuable sensory organs, and wearing gloves is like wearing a blindfold. I've navigated literally millions of pieces of broken glass and many metric tons of sharp rusted iron without any real problems and would have damaged/broken many finds if I was wearing hand-blinder gloves.

I also grab and handle red-hot coals without injury; it's easy but if you don't know how to use your hands then it isn't recommended and you'd better stick with your gloves. Everyone's different.

Buzz in California

Apr 22, 2019
Yuba City California
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000
EQUINOX800
MOSSBERG 12 GA.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wear gloves sold by Harbor Freight, they are under $2.00 a pair, feel good, protect my hands from abrasions that may lead to infections and keeps dirt from accumulating under my finger nails.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably should but no only in the winter

JCPLTAB

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 W/ treasure talk , Garrett GTP 1350 , GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always wear gloves... I never did until I almost lost my middle finger to a bacterial infection. There is a great deal of bacteria in the ground so digging with no gloves exposes all those nicks and scrapes on your fingers and hands to the bacteria in the soil . I encountered a nasty strain , most I am told are harmless but I have no desire to tempt fate …. so gloves it is !
PS : I still only have limited use of the middle finger on my right hand … well one good thing it's pretty easy to do a middle finger salute now !

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I always wear gloves, to much sharp junk in the soil! :icon_thumleft:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely ! They are in my supplies box, and go onto my hands no matter what time of year, or what place I am hunting. Dont wait until you dig a screw cap with the broken bottle neck still attached before you start wearing them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread