Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: easy planting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Sep 2012
    443 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

easy planting

To all you gardeners at Tnet here is an easy way to drain you planters and save some soil at the same time.
    If you are using buckets 3-5 gal size to grow food or flowers put an inexpensive food strainer/collander in the bottom of the bucket upside down to drain the soil
    so there is no caking or mold problem. This will also save on soil which can be expensive. Dollar stores have the strainers for $1.00 each

Good luck.....Joe McDonough

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    4958 times
    Metal Detecting
    Great idea Joe. Whatcha growin'?
    A2coins and joesmarbles like this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    23382 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Nice tip, thanks for sharing!
    A2coins and joesmarbles like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    24011 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Good idea I have a plant that the top of the soil gets whitish hope it's not mold
    joesmarbles likes this.
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Sep 2012
    443 times
    Thanks guys, krey gelder this is only my second year planting. I retired a year and a half ago.
    My garden is divided into four sections, two for flowers and two for vegetables plus I have four growing tables for bucket planting.
    In my flowers sections I have 130 exotic tulips. flames, frilly edges, different colors such as solid purple, yellow with red flames, white with purple flames etc.Also about 12 asian lillies.

My vegetable sections are Kentucky wonder pole beans, heirloom tomatoes, silver queen corn.
    Next vegetables section is Sun glo tomatoes, green arrow peas and cucumbers.
    In the buckets are watermelon radishes, red globe radishes, golden wax beans, green bush beans, turnips, organic carrots, scarlet nantes carrots and more.
    So far so good, looking for a great season.

Sprouting so far at both radishes, kentucky wonder beans, green arrow peas, turnips and both carrots and sun glo tomatoes.

Joe McDonough

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    4958 times
    Metal Detecting
    Congrats on retiring. Sounds like a great garden, and it all sounds yummy. I grew up in tulip country, just south of the Skagit in Washington. Love 'em.
    joesmarbles likes this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Sep 2012
    443 times
    Krey the best part of the garden is sharing it with the neighborhood kids. They love picking fresh veggies and learning about what is blooming. I also have four museum quality(BIG) fosssils
    that are more than 200 million years old that they love to see and learn about. Lepidendrons including a rare branching one and a tree crotch with some color from the original bark visible.

Life is very good in my little piece of heaven.....Joe McDonough
    Kray Gelder likes this.

Sep 2012
    443 times
    Here is an update on how my planting with a colander in my buckets has worked. We have had more rain this year than last year. Last year was the wettest in the history of Pennsylvania.
    We are at almost 18" of rain already. Last sunday my neighbors harvested scallions from my garden for their Ramadan meal. Today in the rain I picked radishes. I have planted more than 40 buckets/containers of flowers and vegetables and all but one has sprouted. I think with a little sunshine that one will sprout also. With all this rain I have to say my method of using a strainer in my buckets has worked out great.....Joe McDonough
    Last edited by joesmarbles; May 14, 2019 at 05:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Jul 2012
    633 times
    Joesmarbles, yes, last year was terribly wet. I couldn't work the soil til June. This spring we had one day that the soil was dry enough to plant, so I planted parsnips on April 13. After that, the weather turned wet and cold. Parsnips are notoriously slow to germinate and I thought I had lost them, but they finally did pop through the soil. Last year I grew sweet potatoes in 5 gal. buckets and they did better then what was growing in my garden.
    joesmarbles likes this.

Charter Member

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 36į60'
    4564 times
    Good idea with the colander.

I got my Hungarian wax peppers in 4" pots right now, they will grow in five gallon planters.

My Tomatoes are about a foot high and might go in the ground next week. The sqaush has popped up. Peas, beans, cabbage, and kohlrabi are going in too. I also got four tobaccos started. Gotta have nicotine to spray on the peas and beans or the Japaneese Beetles will eat them to the stem.
    joesmarbles likes this.
    Liberty is the Freedom to do the next Right thing.

In God We Trust

Sep 2012
    443 times
    Plateau hiker and duckshot where are you guys located? I am I Wilkes Barre.....Joe McDonough

Charter Member

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 36į60'
    4564 times
    Zone 5.
    joesmarbles likes this.

In God We Trust

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    12725 times
    Metal Detecting
    Bet that works for weed too
    Iím the only one of me, baby thatís the fun of me.. / brendon urie

DONíT TRUST WHITEY / Navin Johnson

EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE ALRIGHT, EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE OK.
    ITS GONNA BE A GOOD GOOD LIFE, THATíS WHAT MY THERAPISTS SAY. / Bebe rexha

IF YOUíRE LOST AND ALONE, OR YOUíRE SINKING LIKE A STONE, CARRY ON / Fun

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
    2654 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET
    Nice post .... I also use stro foam peanuts in my pots to help drain water and also i do not have to use as much soil..
    ".. Let no one know what , when , or where ..'

Charter Member

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 36į60'
    4564 times
    Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    Good idea I have a plant that the top of the soil gets whitish hope it's not mold
    When I'm starting plants I mist them, but once it's a seedling I water from the bottom up to prevent mold. Dip the bottom 2" of a potted plant into water, let it drain, and you are done. The water is in the bottom, the top is too dry for mold.

In God We Trust

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links