Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Why does this site say Not Secure at the top?

treasurenet not secure warning.jpg

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
the browser states its not secure due to not using SSL and having a security certificate. SSL is "secure socket layer"

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes no difference, no financial data is transmitted on this site. Warning started appearing after Google Chromes 68 update last summer.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why does this site say Not Secure at the top?

View attachment 1706659

My Internet Security system gives me that same warning every time I log into this site. It's been doing that for quite a long time. I visit other websites that give the same warning but most don't. My browser rates the "Privacy Essentials" here as being C+ which is not very secure.
~Texas Jay

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It’s ok, we already know all your secrets

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are secure as we need, no one is transmitting any financial data. Being secure doesnt mean a pot secure sites are hacked every day.

When Google Crome did update in July 2018 it started appearing because the warning was part of the update.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine also says "not secure" but I come back on a daily basis and have never had any kind of problem. If someone wants to steal my identity, they can have it !

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Is this site based out of Europe or Africa?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
When the site first started the times led me to a time zone in either Europe or Western Africa and nobody could tell me why.. Im glad to hear that its based here in the USA. I guess all members need to be careful not to use the same password anywhere but TreasureNet? Other than that I guess its not a big deal since nobody seems concerned. I haven't been on an unsecured site since the US government SS site was hacked. I lost my tax refund 2 years in a row. The IRS paid both years plus interest so its all good..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I see all the same people are here. And TreasureNet is still the number 1 treasure hunting site although I still have trouble finding the standard smiley face. :laughing7: This will work. :hello:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eating_popcorn_tn_final.gif
Here we go again! This has got to be the 15th thread talking about HTTPS stuff. Here is one of many - will it ever end? :laughing7:

tn_metal_detector.gif
FWIW "fill in member name"
:laughing7: - the owner of this site (who is paying for server space, band width, technical support, etc.) has chosen not to pay even more for HTTPS support. Why? The owner is providing a forum to exchange information about MD'ng and not financial data, social security numbers, etc. Or, as your Google evaluation says "we suggest you don't enter any private or personal information..."

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
of course not, between newbies and oldsters you will forever be busy - Bill
tn_metal_detector.gif
Yea - you are right. It does kind of make you pause when you first see the warning. IMHO - just another way to get more money - scare the crap out of people so Forum owner's have to spend more money for a service that simply isn't needed (for most forums)! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I dont know anything about it but all these years I was away, I thought the owners were from Algeria! Thats how stupid I am. Im glad to find out that apparently it is not true. Sorry for posting without researching old threads. I really thought the problem was on my computer and I was afraid I was hacked or something. It reminds me of when the IRS site was hacked and showed the same warning but I used it anyway because I didnt think it was possible for a US government site to be Not Secure.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Mine also says "not secure" but I come back on a daily basis and have never had any kind of problem. If someone wants to steal my identity, they can have it !

They got mine and I lost my tax refund. Adding insult to injury, they did it the following year!

Facebook accounts are often hacked. Even though, financial data is not transmitted on Facebook either, the perpetrators apparently gather lots of personal data. No way I would put my correct birthday, employer, etc on Facebook or use the same password anywhere else. Heck I dont even use my proper name on Facebook.. I guess everyone here is smart enough not to do that.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions