Advice needed.

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Being new to the research part of TH'ing, the area below in the article, is pretty nearby and actually my boss has a few acres right in the middle. His house is close to the tavern mentioned.
The tavern is on private property but, most of the Kings Highway runs through the Pine Bush area up here and is public land.
Now, where do I start? This area is large and unless anyone may have a few suggestions, which would be appreciated, I will just park in his drive and,,,,,,,,,start... Any suggestions would be APPRECIATED.. Joe

"The King's Highway

"The Kings Highway" is a legendary term that has been used to describe any of the country roads out of colonial Albany that may have been built by the British army during the French and Indian War. However, it most often refers to the main route through the "Pine Bush" from Albany to Schenectady.

This overland thoroughfare connecting the Hudson and the Mohawk was in existence from the earliest days of the community and was first used by Native American hunters bringing their furs to Beverwyck and then Albany.

Until the mid-18th century, the Kings Highway was little more than a path through the woods. But it was improved dramatically by British and provincial soldiers during the last of the colonial wars. After the war, many new settlers were travelling west from Albany over this road. By that time, the western parts of it were maintained under contract with the Albany city government.

On the Albany end, the Kings Highway began at the Schenectady gate of the stockade and continued uphill and into the pine barrens along the route of today's Washington Avenue.

The detail shown on the left is from a map of Rensselaerswyck made in 1767. It clearly traces the overland route from Albany (according to the map's legend) - past Christie's at Sandy Hill (#64) - west to "John Ritchie's at the Kil" (#65) - then to "the Verbergh" (#66) - then west to Isaac Truax's tavern (#69) near the northern border of Rensselaerswyck, and finally the last seven or so miles west to Schenectady.

At the Schenectady end of the Kings Highway, cargoes and travellers could be loaded onto boats and moved west along the Mohawk into the Iroquois country and beyond.

By the time of the American Revolution, buildings began to dot the way along Lion Street - the western extension of State Street and Maiden Lane. Monier's lumber yard and Bromley's inn were part of this development."

OP
OP
JOe L

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A bit more...

Isaac Ja. Truax
by
Stefan Bielinski

Isaac Ja. Truax was born in May 1726. He was the son of Jacob and Elizabeth La Grange Truax of Schenectady.

In June 1750, he married Maria Wyngaert at the Albany Dutch church. By 1768, ten children were christened at Albany and several others were baptized elsewhere.

He ran the "Halfway House" tavern/inn located at the mid-point of the King's Highway route between Albany and Schenectady. Later, he would be described as a "jolly good tavern keeper and [a] good friend" and characterized as a "very eccentric person" and disposed toward "fastidious and gaudy dress."

His "old red tavern" located just inside the northern boundary of the Manor was an eighteenth-century landmark and stopping point on the road through the pine barrens. In 1754, he was commissioned an ensign in a Schenectady-based company of the Albany County militia.

In 1790, his home was configued in the Watervliet section of the Federal census for Albany County. The homes of two sons were located nearby!

Maria Wyngaert Truax died in 1802 leaving Isaac with a large family of grown children and grandchildren - many of whom lived nearby. Isaac Jacob Truax filed his will in November 1804. It provided for his living children as well as the children of those who had passed on. He died in April 1808 and was buried in the family cemetery created in response to instructions in his will. The will passed probate on June 19.

Attachments

• kingshwy1.jpg
    kingshwy1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 228

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, ACE250
With that amount of history, I would think anywhere in that area would be great. Maybe someone else can help you narrow it down. I'm still somewhat new to this.

OP
OP
JOe L

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, this is how much you really don't know about your boss after 28yrs. The grave yard is about 100 yrds behind his house and the 4 stones are there. 3 still can be read. Time to do a bit of exploring.

Bassfish

Jul 12, 2006
JoeSWFF said:
Well, this is how much you really don't know about your boss after 28yrs. The grave yard is about 100 yrds behind his house and the 4 stones are there. 3 still can be read. Time to do a bit of exploring.

I know there's some state land that you could hunt along the Thruway near exit 24 also. Not sure what Rd gets you there.

OP
OP
JOe L

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is a bit further than the Old SEFCU. Check out the google shot..
even after 50 yrs in this area, you never realize the history around you, at least I didn't.

Attachments

• TH.jpg
    TH.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 254

Bassfish

Jul 12, 2006
I think there may also be another historic marker between the Tavern and that house to the South. Where it is escapes me right now though.

My wife works for Pinewood Elementary, so I have traveled King's Highway tons of times. Keep us posted on your search.

PS- You'll be seeing the bow hunters in the woods this Saturday.

OP
OP
JOe L

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yup Bass, right across the street is another marker for the cemetery which is actually on the other side of the road.
I also will be out there with bow in hand, not in the Bush though but, I though about that.
Another problem I know is the Pine Bush is a tick haven.... >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread