Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Detector Purchase Choices Help

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2016
    CT
    40 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Detector Purchase Choices Help

Hi,
    I wanted to see what kind of advice and or suggestions anyone can provide in my final decision on which detector I should buy to begin my hunting adventures here in Connecticut please.

I have been looking at a couple of detectors to buy from one of treasurenet supporting vendors. I have spoke with them already for suggestions and would like to see what feed back I may get here also.

I will start with I donít mind spending the money to get something really good so cost is not an issue at this time.

I have been looking at either the Minelab E Trac or the Whites V3i detectors so far. I have only came up with these two as options based on all I have read and watched videos on so far. My fear and questions are which do you think would be best in the Connecticut hunting area and also would be best to learn on yet grow into for its full capabilities it has. I would hate to buy the wrong unit for my expectations or to difficult to use as a beginner where it ends up in my closet not used cause of this.

Any help and suggestion would be great and I thank you in advance for your input.

Thank You
    Brian From Connecticut
    Terry Soloman likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Only boaring people get board

Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    Mine Lab Equinox 800, Mine Lab Pro Find 35, Quest Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer 2, Whites ID5 Classic
    637 times
    Equinox 800 or the v3i where my choices i chose the NOX 800

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2018
    Rhode Island
    Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
    418 times
    Welcome to Tnet!! What type of hunting with you be doing next door in CT? Parks, Woods, Cella holes? If parks to coin shoot than V3I and Etrac will be fine if those are the two you like.. not so good for relic hunting. In mainly looking for relics than XP Deus or Equinox.
    iffy signals - youtube

us
    Aug 2016
    CT
    40 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Iffy Signals View Post
    Welcome to Tnet!! What type of hunting with you be doing next door in CT? Parks, Woods, Cella holes? If parks to coin shoot than V3I and Etrac will be fine if those are the two you like.. not so good for relic hunting. In mainly looking for relics than XP Deus or Equinox.

I am thinking more so will be doing parks and woods type detecting. I would like to also be able to try and explore he relic hunts form time to time if that opportunity comes up lol.

I did see the Equinox also but was not sure if that was a good choice to add to my final decision.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2007
    Mn.
    Minelab E-Trac Nokta Marko Anfibio Multi
    1438 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (3)
    Get the Etrac. An Indian Head cent at 14" deep will blast you ears as if it were on top of the ground.
    Deeper than the others and better Discrimination once you learn it. Just practice on coins at first than pull tabs and aluminum caps.
    I doubt any whites detectors can reach 14" deep.

us
    Apr 2014
    NJ
    Whites Spectra V3i, Whites MX5, Whites BH 300, Whites MX Sport, Tek Europro, Tesoro Compadre, Makro Multi Kruzer .......... No longer own....... Etrac, CTX3030, G2, Fisher F4 Tesoro Bandido
    263 times
    If at all possible swing each machine you're interested in before making that final buying decision.

I bought the Etrac - didn't like it and sold it. Bought the CTX 3030 - didn't like it and sold it. Bought the V3i - still have it and love it.

Others have experienced the opposite.

My thoughts on the V3i...

On the heavy side, but well balanced and swings nicely. Can be a turn on and go machine, or a tinker to your heart's content machine. Too much tinkering can lead to an ineffective machine. It will get deep targets. Requires a slower swing speed - although that can be adjusted too. You can save a bunch of your own custom programs. Best screen on the market - it's really nice. Wireless headphones are worth every penny. Good assortment of coils available. Can be adjusted to suit nearly any hunting condition, or for nearly any type of targets sought (relics/coins/etc.). Stock programs are starting points - learn the machine using them and (once learned) then make adjustments to the stock programs to tailor the program to the type of hunting/conditions you wish. I know of no other machine that gives the user so much target information.

Not waterproof. Requires protection (against rain, etc..) if you're going to hunt where it can get wet (including salt water spray). Trigger pin-point - a big plus in my opinion. In soil conditions that vary quite a bit - either ground balance fairly frequently, or get a good ground balance and lock tracking.

I think of the V3i as a general purpose machine that can be adjusted (easily) to be a specialized machine (clad, silver, jewelry, deep silver, relics, etc..). You can choose to hunt in all 3 frequencies at once, or any one of the 3 frequencies. You can assign tones to each VID number, or blocks. You can discriminate individual VDI numbers, or blocks. You can hunt (mixed mode pro) with all discriminated targets signaling in one ear bud, and all accepted targets in the other ear bud. Pin-point mode tells you which frequency hits the hardest - an excellent tool for determining a good target from junk. Polar plot and sizing are other sources of target information (I tend to just use the pin-point mode).

Like all machines, the V3i has strengths and weaknesses. For my needs, the V3i's strengths far outweigh its weaknesses. Your mileage may vary.

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    22009 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    My suggestion is to save a bit of money, and get the Minelab Equinox 800. It will take 50-hours to learn, versus 100-150 hours to learn the V3i or E-trac. You will not be giving up much depth at all, and as you get better and understand the hobby more, you can re-sell the Equinox at a good price (although you'll probably keep it no matter what.)

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2007
    Mn.
    1438 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (3)
    The Equinox never found me any silver or gold just junk. The etrac cleaned out all the places I'v hunted.
    I could tell the difference between a gold ring and a pull tab.
    I knew when it was a rusty bottle cap.
    If I went over a gold coin I knew it was a good target just like a silver dime.
    With the Equinox you have to dig it all because you will never know if it's a gold ring or a one cent coin or pull tab.
    I used a lot of detectors and most were junk finders with little odds of telling you what might be in the ground.
    The Etrac gives high tones on good targets and if not sure to dig just go to all metal mode and you will see the numbers get big.
    The Etrac will have a small pinpoint area on coins.
    I run the Etrac in coin mode and high tones are mostly gold and silver' Lower tones nickels and lead.

us
    Apr 2009
    1443 times
    If you're undecided. Just ask and shake.

Name:  download.jpeg
Views: 139
Size:  19.7 KB
    BLK HOLE, solx nys and Loco-Digger like this.

us
    Sep 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
    2501 times
    Can you start by renting or borrowing a decent machine and go out and put say 20 hours in to see if this hobby is really something you want to spend that much money on? A local dealer may be of great service to you. Or, a friend/acquaintance that is into it and has a machine they'll lend.

I guarantee that there are many many e tracs and v3i's in the closet to never be used again due to "just finding trash".

Both of those machines have a big learning curve.
    Whatever you decide, have fun and good luck!

I guess if I were a newby right now I'd probably jump on the Equinox as it is the newest and greatest currently.
    If you're into spendy machines, don't forget a looksee at the Deuce.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    19553 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Your question is an open ended one. Your types of sites have a lot to go into the decision as to which detector to purchase. I have seen guys with etracs and they love them. Same with the V3i. My best gold coin was found with a $329 Tesoro Cibola and the MOST items I have ever found without digging trash has been with my XP Deus. I have owned Garretts, the Equinox 600 and 800 and a slew of other machines. My best advice is to trest drive any machine you are considering. There is no such thing as a perfect machine. There must still be some dealers you can visit, Like Xr7ator suggested.

us
    Mar 2010
    Southwest Georgia
    XP Deus, White's DFX
    5531 times
    I have to cast a vote for the XP Deus. I used Whites detectors for over 35 years but an auto accident left me with a fused neck and lower back problems. I found that swinging my DFX for more than an hour or two was all I could stand. After much thought I ordered the XP Deus and I no longer have a problem. I can hunt almost all day now. The Deus, with an 11" coli weighs in under 3 pounds. And, it can be updated over the internet.
    Iffy Signals likes this.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel.

Jun 2007
    Minnesota
    Tiger Shark, Xterra 705
    2891 times
    One thing to keep in mind is the weight of the machine. There is at least a pound difference between the lightest (like the Equinox) and the heaviest (like the ETrac) and that can be a huge difference when it comes to your ability to swing for hours. And then there is waterproof multifrequency (Equinox) vs land only (Etrac), so of you think you might like to try water hunting, salt water in particular, go with an Equinox.
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of itĒ

Thomas Jefferson

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2007
    Mn.
    1438 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (3)
    You might like the Nokta Marko Anfibio Multi . Under water .
    I just got one and I'm liking it so far.

us
    Nov 2003
    Orange Co. NY
    White's xlt,Tesoro Silver umax, and Compadre.
    34 times
    I would go with the V3I if your patience equals your willingness to learn through trial, and error. You can go with the presets, and down the road customize the settings for your preference along with your conditions. I have had my XLT for over two decades with no problems, and the V3i has the extras I dreamed about. I just don't want to spend the money yet though my XLT certainly more than payed for a V3i.
    You know it's a good day when you not only have surface finds of Pulltabs, but pull two out of the same hole.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links