Joaqion Murietta and His Loot?

Californio

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joaqiun Murietta and His Loot?

I'm somewhat aware of Joaquin Murietta and his stagecoach robberies throughout the 1850's and 60's. And 1 of his stash is said to be in the hills east of Carrizo Stage Station. It is said the gang was ambushed by indians and they buried the box in a old burial cave under a pertuding rock ledge. I looked up a satellite imagery of the area and it really doesn't look like it should be that difficult to find it. Then again, if it was that easy, i would think someone would have found it. I would imagine the cave would still possibly exist. What do guys think of this?

How do treasure hunters figure this type of stuff out?

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... What do guys think of this? ...

As a fellow Californian, with 43-ish years md'ing, I too have heard all the camp-fire lore stories of Joaquin Murrieta and his supposed treasures and caches. But .... here's the problem : Most every county in CA has an equal # of supposed J.M. cache story legends & spots. A few in my area of CA as well (Monterey to San Benito county). And sure, when you read each one, they sound so *bullet-proof* true (who can resist a good treasure story?)

At some point you have to realize that all of these legends are just that : Legends. Camp fire telephone game stories that grew and grew. And upon each telling, it becomes bullet-proof true. And you can never "put them to rest", because they are always built around true names, dates, events (eg.: J.M. slept here, or was known to have passed through here, or that he visited such & such stage stop, etc...). So before you know it, you have 50 J.M. treasure stories around the state.

By all means, go look for it. But ... just saying .... I put little to no stock in any of the treasure legends.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They also claim Three Rocks in California was his hideout, the actual rocks.As it actually turns out they were a fantastic marker as they stood out well so you didn't lose your way, it is close to where he was killed.Three Rocks actually was his hideout but not the rocks, the little town of Three Rocks.People have worn out the area around the rocks looking for treasure.If he hid anything it is probably down in the valley with cotton fields above it now.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
And so too was the caves at the Pinnacles park east of Soledad. And so too was the rock-outcroppings and eucalyptus tree area north of Prunedale along Hwy. 101. The list is endless. But not to worry: Each one of the spots is iron-clad true. Just a little deeper. A little more to the right. A little more to the left. Or someone already found it. But rest assured: The treasure was/is there.

OP
OP
C

Californio

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a fellow Californian, with 43-ish years md'ing, I too have heard all the camp-fire lore stories of Joaquin Murrieta and his supposed treasures and caches. But .... here's the problem : Most every county in CA has an equal # of supposed J.M. cache story legends & spots. A few in my area of CA as well (Monterey to San Benito county). And sure, when you read each one, they sound so *bullet-proof* true (who can resist a good treasure story?)

At some point you have to realize that all of these legends are just that : Legends. Camp fire telephone game stories that grew and grew. And upon each telling, it becomes bullet-proof true. And you can never "put them to rest", because they are always built around true names, dates, events (eg.: J.M. slept here, or was known to have passed through here, or that he visited such & such stage stop, etc...). So before you know it, you have 50 J.M. treasure stories around the state.

By all means, go look for it. But ... just saying .... I put little to no stock in any of the treasure legends.
California is over 160 years old. There is bound to be some buried loot of large value. There was a couple who found a bunch of rare gold coins from the 1850's, i think.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
California is over 160 years old. There is bound to be some buried loot of large value. There was a couple who found a bunch of rare gold coins from the 1850's, i think.

Correct. There's been caches, here, and all over the USA, that are recorded as found.

Uhhh, but what does that have to do with the validity of J.M. treasure legends hither & yonder ?

And oddly/ironically to your point: The couple who was walking their dog, and kicks the top of a rusty can protruding from the ground, and found all those gold coins, did so on accident. And so-too is a LOT of cache recovery stories just like that : Eg.: a construction worker, digging a ditch, who accidentally finds a cache (no TH'er legend involved). Or an md'r who thinks he's about to dig a pesky hub-cap out of the way, finds a cache (no TH'r legend involved). Or someone who's bought a old house, and needs to tear out a wall for remodel, finds a cache (no TH'r legend involved).

So rather than bolstering old legends: The vast majority of caches found, are typically by accident. Or if someone IS chasing a legend (like Mel Fisher/Atocha) it is FAR AND AWAY much-different than the likes of J.M. lore, Yamashita, Pearl ship, lost dutchman, etc.... Which can be 100% chalked up to nothing more than camp-fire legend ghost stories.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tom, do you know anything about turtle signs?

Paulo

Well, yes..... I'm glad you asked: Rock shapes or squiggles that appear to be shaped like turtles, mean nothing other than: Treasure.

And so-too for triangles, squares, big-dippers, etc....

mantoothsean

Nov 25, 2019
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all -

I am a producer on Discovery Channel's "Expedition Unknown." Does anyone know of anyone currently looking for any of Murrieta's stashes or have any new theories on where they could be? Understood that most of this is steeped in (dubious) legend but wondering if anyone is currently out looking.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They also claim Three Rocks in California was his hideout, the actual rocks.As it actually turns out they were a fantastic marker as they stood out well so you didn't lose your way, it is close to where he was killed.Three Rocks actually was his hideout but not the rocks, the little town of Three Rocks.People have worn out the area around the rocks looking for treasure.If he hid anything it is probably down in the valley with cotton fields above it now.
You are right he put his stash in the area. Landowners in that area have found gold coins where they should not be. The U.S. government paid him to go back to Mexico where he died. A relative told me this info. :dontknow:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm somewhat aware of Joaquin Murietta and his stagecoach robberies throughout the 1850's and 60's. And 1 of his stash is said to be in the hills east of Carrizo Stage Station. It is said the gang was ambushed by indians and they buried the box in a old burial cave under a pertuding rock ledge. I looked up a satellite imagery of the area and it really doesn't look like it should be that difficult to find it. Then again, if it was that easy, i would think someone would have found it. I would imagine the cave would still possibly exist. What do guys think of this?

How do treasure hunters figure this type of stuff out?

They typically don't.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions