glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was given a White's Gold Master TR-DISCRIMINATOR this week It appears to be in working order .It do not know anything about how it operates but I guess it is an older type of detector .Can anyone tell me when they where made or how to set it up for genrtal use Thanks and if this not the right place for this post I am sorry

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
there are manuals on line, just look for whites detector manuals.
good luck have fun

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yes, as 1637 said, I think it's on-line. A long time back I recall seeing a link to every single whites operating manual, for every single machine they ever made. I'm sure the link sill exists somewhere, but I don't happen to have the link.

The unfortunate thing about the individual operating manuals on that link though , is they do not show the date of introduction for each of those machines. On some of the manual, you could indeed see a date for the publication of the manual. But that could not be counted on as being the date of the introduction of that machine. Because ... sometimes ... the operating manual itself went through revisions a year or two later. And the date you're looking at might only be a date of an updated manual. Not the date of the introduction of the machine to production.

But I can take a pretty close stab at your particular machine. I'm pretty sure that yours is when Whites attempted to add a disc. function to their earlier 66tr. That was short-lived before the introduction of the GEB supreme. Which would make your machine to be about 1974-ish or 75-ish.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Enjoy the vintage machine! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to those that replied .I was able to locate a manual for the item in question I need to sit down and see if the thing works . It does find metal and coins but I am not sure if all the dials work like that are supposed to . It is indeed vintage but should be fun just to try out

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try contacting Whites web site - is box huge? my first experience in detecting was with a whites gold master - it was like 2 feet long - i had to use 2 hands to swing - i was only 11

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are a number of old Whites catalogues on line at a site called treasurelinx. Their oldest catalogue is from 1976 and does list a Goldmaster Discriminator, but I think that Tom in CA was right about them coming out a year or two earlier. A dinosaur performance-wise, but was probably as good as anything else out there in its day.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There are a number of old Whites catalogues on line at a site called treasurelinx. ...

I'm familiar with that link. But I think that was just for various catalogs of the manufacturers. Not operating manuals. Right ? The link I was thinking of, that I recall seeing, was the links to actual Whites machines, that went back well into the 1960s models. Versus the link you're speaking of, that ... yes ... . only goes back to the mid 1970's.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm familiar with that link. But I think that was just for various catalogs of the manufacturers. Not operating manuals. Right ? The link I was thinking of, that I recall seeing, was the links to actual Whites machines, that went back well into the 1960s models. Versus the link you're speaking of, that ... yes ... . only goes back to the mid 1970's.

Yes, only catalogues and old advertisements. Some interesting history there though.

wingding

Greenie
May 12, 2019
Pennsylvania- U.P Michigan- Montana
Detector(s) used
First 1964 Relco- White's Coinmaster 4 - White's Eagle SL - Garrett 2500- Minelab GP Extreme- Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im feeling OLD here... When we first went out metal detecting with my friend, I had a white;s coinmaster 4 and he had a whites Goldmaster TR-66.. My old man had one too. I just went down to the basement where I have it hanging from the garage above my bench.I believe that is what you have...My father never used his but my friend did a whole bunch and did he EVER find a lot of stuff... BUT this was the golden age of metal detecting . Every place we went was Virgin and hardly anybody knew what we had. Im going to put the year of the Goldmaster Tr 66 about 1971. Im kinda new here but when I figure out how to take a photo, I'll place it on this thread...But thats what I think you have.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread