Greenie
May 6, 2019
Ottawa, Canada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

New to the Treasure.Net Forums but I am a long time Treasure Hunter.
When I was a kid I would naked eye comb the beaches after every rainstorm for cash to buy snacks at the beach canteen.
I also did a lot of snorkeling and later scuba diving and have found many relics and clad/dollars in "holes" below fast moving rivers.... I have always had a knack for finding things. However, I may be in WAY over my head with this latest endeavor.

I am hosting the 55th wedding anniversary of my inlaws this June. At their 50th anniversary my mother in law told a story about how her husband had lost his wedding ring in 1967 while cutting trees in the yard of their new home in Peterborough, Ontario. He actually took off both his wedding and engineering ring and placed them at a base of a tree while he worked the chainsaw. After a full day's work he couldn't find the rings. So, every since hearing that story I have been thinking - those rings are STILL there. I know it.

In secret, I have contacted the current owners of the house they built back in 1967 and they are very willing to let me look for the ring with my metal detector - I go on the 25th of May. Now, I know it is a VERY long shot but I want to give it my best effort.
I have a metal detector - a Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200. I have been "Training" to find the wedding ring by burying my wedding ring in different areas of my yard and trying to teach myself what a Gold ring sounds like at various depths. On the surface of the grass it shows up as zinc....same as the most plentiful coin on the planet ...the penny - I really don't want to dig a hundred holes in generous home owner's lawn.

It gets worse, when I bury it a little deeper (say 2 - 4 inches) it really flags as all sorts of metals. In fact, when I bury it on it's edge it was appearing as a solid iron target - very repeatable from all sorts of angles. With that type of signal variation I wouldn't be able to discriminate on anything!

Two questions:
1) Is there something I could do differently with my metal detector to better my odds of getting a reliable signal for a gold ring - perhaps a new smaller coil?
2) Would I have a much better chance with a different metal detector? The local Cabella's has a Fisher Gold Bug - but I am reluctant to spend $~600 cdn on it if it wouldn't drastically improve my odds of being able to detect a gold ring.

Again, I know this is a REALLY long shot but I would like to take it none the less.

thanks in advance for your help and advice.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a fun challenge. I would stick with your current detector and swing around the biggest trees. 70-100+ year old trees are typically BiG, like 30” diameter and up, pass on the smaller ones. Dig any signals that repeats consistently and is small in size when pinpointing. It might be shallow due to the trunk pushing it to the surface or could have been pushed 12”+ down by root growth and out of any detectors range. Good luck!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Julison! Take a look at Forum: Canada for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your country.

tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - You might consider browsing and/or also posting your question on: Brands > Bounty Hunter for more exposure...

t_o.gif
3rd - After you find the rings - please make sure you post it on Our Discoveries > Today's Finds!!

May 7, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds comes after great sacrifices, but you have to be cautious too because if that person want able to find after even though he searched exactly where he placed there can be a possible reason that wild squirrels or birds took is so its advisable to look for nests before making costly changes.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be sure to grid the area and be sure to overlap sweeps properly.Keep us filled in!
would love to know the outcome

chub

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, welcome from Northern Virginia :skullflag: Second, this is really a worthy cause, is there a local metal detecting club you could contact to help you hunt? Or maybe someone from Ringfinders? I know it would be very cool if you found it but as long as they get found is what is really important. I know if I my son-in-law pulled this off I would be very grateful:headbang:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmm. Where he placed rings....
Did he cut the same tree he placed them near , and were stumps removed?

Gold has a habit of ringing up like foil , a pull tab or similar.
Makes deliberately looking for a ring amid trash in an area fraught with digging. Even after learning certain types of trash.
Hopefully the area is not real trashy. That would be the best scenario.

Good hunting to you.

A ring is a thing.
Your detector is blind , but tells you if it smells something. Then it takes it's best guess at what it is. You interpret the guesses.
It works out. But in fussy target ranges digging (plugs or flaps ect.) can be expected.
A frisbee or piece of canvas , even a towel , can hold your removed soil to be able to replace it neatly.

A pinpointer can check before you start a plug in case a target is shallow.
(Depth is only relative sometimes to a detector.)

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
I would set disc under small foil, and dig every signal (forget the display). Practice neat yet quick target recovery. Try to narrow down search area with deductive reasoning.

Also consider an upgrade in your budget with a detector that transmits 10Khz, or higher.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do not know much about your machine. IMHO: run the machine "wide open", no discrimination and dig every signal within a 3 - 5 foot radius of the possible trees. Take your time!

Good Luck! :occasion14:

OP
OP
J

Julison

Greenie
May 6, 2019
Ottawa, Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be sure to grid the area and be sure to overlap sweeps properly.Keep us filled in!
would love to know the outcome

chub

Great idea with the grid - I would hate to go all the way there and miss it just because I didn’t cover the area. I will definitely keep the forum updated. Thanks

OP
OP
J

Julison

Greenie
May 6, 2019
Ottawa, Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks vpnavy for the welcome. I will definitely keep the forum updated!

OP
OP
J

Julison

Greenie
May 6, 2019
Ottawa, Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Professor, I will have to judge things as I go. If the owner seems not too concerned with me digging many holes then I will hit as many promising targets as possible. I think I need to practice digging and replacing holes in a manner that makes it invisible. Stay tuned.

weekender

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas-River Valley-Ft. Smith
Detector(s) used
Prism V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would ask the Dowsing Forum. Put up a picture of the
property, and let them narrow it down for you.If you find it,
with their help, just let them know .
-Weekender

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
Great post. You seem like a great guy and hope you stick with the forum after the anniversary.
Gold always looks like trash or foil in my experience. I too say you’ll have to dig everything near the really big trees. Your heart is in the right place and I’m hoping and praying with you Dude.
And welcome to TNet from Japan.

OP
OP
J

Julison

Greenie
May 6, 2019
Ottawa, Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tomorrow is the DAY

Well, after thinking about finding my father in law’s lost wedding ring for the last 6 years I am finally going to search for it tomorrow. It’s a 7.5 hour round trip so I hope it is productive. Wish me luck!

I ‘ll keep you updated.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you find it. Everything everyone has said is correct. Gold is next to Aluminum on the conductance scale. Also, since the ring will most likely be laying horizontally in the soil, there isn't much surface area of the ring so go very slowly and absolutely dig every signal no matter how weak and unrepeatable it is.

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was wondering about this thread the other day. Good luck. Will be amazing if you find them!

Chub

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread