Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While some treasure stories are just legends or myths, some have some truth about them. Case in point, two old spinster ladies who were sisters, lived in an old house at the lower end of Emmerts Cove in Sevier County, Tennessee in the middle or late 1800's to around 1910 to 1920's (not sure the exact time periods). It was rumored that they hid Gold coins inside the house and even outside in the fields and elsewhere. When the 1930 big flood hit that area, water from the Greenbrier River (Middle Prong of the Pigeon River) got well up into the fields and flowed under the house. When the flood waters receded, the current resident at the time, emerged from the home to inspect the damage. He saw a glint of Gold in the dirt and rock driveway on the downstream side of the house. Upon closer inspection, he found that it was a $20 Gold piece and he followed a trail of Gold coins under the porch and house to a somewhat bowl shaped impression under the house which was filled with Gold coins. Later in the 1970's when the house was going to be torn down, two treasure hunters asked permission from the owner to search the house for treasure. He gave them permission but only if he got 60% of the finds or 60% of the money when the finds were sold. The two treasure hunters entered the home and one made a beeline to the closet under the stairs to the second floor. With his little hammer, he banged on the enclosure of each step and one gave him a dull bong sound. He pried off the enclosure of the step and found a half gallon fruit jar laying on it's side that was full of $20 Gold coins. As far as I know, that was all they found in the house but I have heard of more Gold coins being buried under flat rocks in the fields fairly close to the home.

When I hear of such stories I wonder where the people were getting all these gold coins to squirrel away.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
When I hear of such stories I wonder where the people were getting all these gold coins to squirrel away.

I think the two old gals were actually Bootleggers but can't prove it. Maybe the Sheriff's Office has records that go back that far. It is quite possible that Bootleggers lived in the home in the 1950's. A 1955 Chevrolet Sheriff's Deputy's car disappeared somewhere in that area along with the Sheriff's Deputy around 1955 or 1956 and neither were ever found per se. However, my friend whose family lived in the old home in the 1960's and we also used it when tending Tobacco crops, got me to borrow a metal detector and metal detect the place in 1974 while I was on leave from the U.S. Army and which was long after the old home had been torn down. We found an old covered over well that was under where the side porch was and that we never knew was there before. While digging the signals from the old well, we actually dug out a chrome bumper and fender to a 1955 Chevrolet and when we dug out the door with Sevier County Sheriff on the side, we got spooked and threw everything back in and covered the well back over. Believe it or not, we never went back and never told anyone until recently but we did not give the location. Maybe I will go back there someday with permission and Law Enforcement.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the two old gals were actually Bootleggers but can't prove it. Maybe the Sheriff's Office has records that go back that far. It is quite possible that Bootleggers lived in the home in the 1950's. A 1955 Chevrolet Sheriff's Deputy's car disappeared somewhere in that area along with the Sheriff's Deputy around 1955 or 1956 and neither were ever found per se. However, my friend whose family lived in the old home in the 1960's and we also used it when tending Tobacco crops, got me to borrow a metal detector and metal detect the place in 1974 while I was on leave from the U.S. Army and which was long after the old home had been torn down. We found an old covered over well that was under where the side porch was and that we never knew was there before. While digging the signals from the old well, we actually dug out a chrome bumper and fender to a 1955 Chevrolet and when we dug out the door with Sevier County Sheriff on the side, we got spooked and threw everything back in and covered the well back over. Believe it or not, we never went back and never told anyone until recently but we did not give the location. Maybe I will go back there someday with permission and Law Enforcement.

That is a great story. I suppose, if the deputy is down there, his kin would like to know.
There had to be more people in on that business.

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi, I'm new to treasurenet and look forward to reading more on this forum. I have a question if someone can point me to a link or contact information on how to contact the people that were on the Lost Gold of WWII that was recently on the history channel. I need to contact the two main treasure hunters John Casey and Peter Struzzieri who were the treasure hunters. I need to contact them about another Japanese burial site that they may know of or not know of.

Rust: welcome!
Try here : https://www.ampleent.com/

This company produces the show. The actual Executive Producers are Mike Stiller and Mary E. Donahue. They are responsible for putting together the hunting crew for the show.
They may be of interest in what you have, or could d the info.
Their website has some contact info to get you started. It actually says, ""have your people call our people" with awesome
ideas!"
Good luck, and keep us posted if it works out!

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ,Kind of funny that none of these productions ever mention the great post war salvage industry in the Pacific TP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread