Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By dirtlooter
  • 1 Post By Professor of Engineering
  • 2 Post By flinthunter
  • 2 Post By tinpan

Thread: It was a pretty good day

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    11689 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)

It was a pretty good day

In my older days, working on things has become quite the chore. I now dread doing things that I once totally enjoyed doing, mainly because I can't physically do these things anymore. I am also challenged now in just doing something correctly because I struggle to remember how to do things. But today, I managed by myself to jack up my old 17 AlumaWeld bass boat and block it with cinder blocks and 2x's all around to be safe and stable.

Then was able to break loose the U bolts on the good side of the trailer axle and get them off. The other side was quite the challenge as the four nuts were ground down pretty badly when the axle broke on the highway last fall. So, I had to hacksaw the other two U bolts in three places (this took a while and it was humid and hot). But I finally got it done and was soon off to this Trailer manufacturing place nearby. I was expecting to have to spend $200 plus on a new axle plus another tire (new tire destroyed.) The guy looked at the pieces and assure me that he could weld it back together for $40 no problem other than it would be a week before he could get to it. Then got a new tire mounted for $56, and all I lack is two new U bolts. So right now, got it all done for right at $100 versus close to $300. Very happy! I was just happy to have actually been able to do it but now even happier. A Pepsi and an Aleeve later and I am okay.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    24729 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Congrats on the hard work and cheaper repair bill. You earned your Pepsi!
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Jan 2011
    Illinois
    E-Trac, V3i, DFX
    560 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I'm with you dirtlooter. Things I did a few years ago are quite a chore now, but like you seem to do, I keep plugging along.
    A2coins and dirtlooter like this.

au
    Sep 2004
    Eaglehawk
    GPX
    1083 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Hi , How did manage to tow a boat and trailer home with a broken axle ? Let me guess you braced up with a copperhead. TP
    A2coins and dirtlooter like this.

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    11689 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by tinpan View Post
    Hi , How did manage to tow a boat and trailer home with a broken axle ? Let me guess you braced up with a copperhead. TP
    I wish, no, it was pulled up on one of those car haulers and hauled to our new home. The brand new tire was split down the side (for some reason they wouldn't patch it LOL). I was just glad to get it to the house. would have been a lot worse if I had been going faster but it happened just as I pulled out on the busy highway. The wheel pasted us down the middle, missing about five on coming cars thankfully. The transom saver managed to keep the lower unit and prop up high enough but just barely but barely counts. The insurance wouldn't cover the car hauler because technically it wasn't towed.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

May 2019
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtlooter View Post
    In my older days, working on things has become quite the chore. I now dread doing things that I once totally enjoyed doing, mainly because I can't physically do these things anymore mathway . I am also challenged now in just doing something correctly because I struggle to remember how to do things. But today, I managed by myself to jack up my old 17 AlumaWeld bass boat myanimelist and block it with cinder blocks and 2x's all around to be safe and stable.

Then was able to break loose the U bolts on the good side of the trailer axle and get them off. The other side was quite the challenge as the four nuts were ground down pretty badly when the axle broke on the highway last fall. So, I had to hacksaw the other two U bolts in three places (this took a while and it was humid and hot). But I finally got it done and was soon off to this Trailer manufacturing place nearby. I was expecting to have to spend $200 plus on a new axle plus another tire (new tire destroyed.) The guy looked at the pieces and assure me that he could weld it back together for $40 no problem other than it would be a week before he could get to it. Then got a new tire mounted for $56, and all I lack is two new U bolts. So right now, got it all done for right at $100 versus close to $300. Very happy! I was just happy to have actually been able to do it but now even happier. A Pepsi, birthday wishes and an Aleeve later and I am okay.
    greater happiness comes with greater challenges. i am happy for your accomplishment, it was inspiring.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links