Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In my older days, working on things has become quite the chore. I now dread doing things that I once totally enjoyed doing, mainly because I can't physically do these things anymore. I am also challenged now in just doing something correctly because I struggle to remember how to do things. But today, I managed by myself to jack up my old 17 AlumaWeld bass boat and block it with cinder blocks and 2x's all around to be safe and stable.

Then was able to break loose the U bolts on the good side of the trailer axle and get them off. The other side was quite the challenge as the four nuts were ground down pretty badly when the axle broke on the highway last fall. So, I had to hacksaw the other two U bolts in three places (this took a while and it was humid and hot). But I finally got it done and was soon off to this Trailer manufacturing place nearby. I was expecting to have to spend $200 plus on a new axle plus another tire (new tire destroyed.) The guy looked at the pieces and assure me that he could weld it back together for $40 no problem other than it would be a week before he could get to it. Then got a new tire mounted for $56, and all I lack is two new U bolts. So right now, got it all done for right at $100 versus close to $300. Very happy! I was just happy to have actually been able to do it but now even happier. A Pepsi and an Aleeve later and I am okay.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the hard work and cheaper repair bill. You earned your Pepsi! :occasion14:

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you dirtlooter. Things I did a few years ago are quite a chore now, but like you seem to do, I keep plugging along.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , How did manage to tow a boat and trailer home with a broken axle ? Let me guess you braced up with a copperhead. TP

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi , How did manage to tow a boat and trailer home with a broken axle ? Let me guess you braced up with a copperhead. TP

I wish, no, it was pulled up on one of those car haulers and hauled to our new home. The brand new tire was split down the side (for some reason they wouldn't patch it LOL). I was just glad to get it to the house. would have been a lot worse if I had been going faster but it happened just as I pulled out on the busy highway. The wheel pasted us down the middle, missing about five on coming cars thankfully. The transom saver managed to keep the lower unit and prop up high enough but just barely but barely counts. The insurance wouldn't cover the car hauler because technically it wasn't towed.

May 7, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my older days, working on things has become quite the chore. I now dread doing things that I once totally enjoyed doing, mainly because I can't physically do these things anymore mathway . I am also challenged now in just doing something correctly because I struggle to remember how to do things. But today, I managed by myself to jack up my old 17 AlumaWeld bass boat myanimelist and block it with cinder blocks and 2x's all around to be safe and stable.

Then was able to break loose the U bolts on the good side of the trailer axle and get them off. The other side was quite the challenge as the four nuts were ground down pretty badly when the axle broke on the highway last fall. So, I had to hacksaw the other two U bolts in three places (this took a while and it was humid and hot). But I finally got it done and was soon off to this Trailer manufacturing place nearby. I was expecting to have to spend $200 plus on a new axle plus another tire (new tire destroyed.) The guy looked at the pieces and assure me that he could weld it back together for $40 no problem other than it would be a week before he could get to it. Then got a new tire mounted for $56, and all I lack is two new U bolts. So right now, got it all done for right at $100 versus close to $300. Very happy! I was just happy to have actually been able to do it but now even happier. A Pepsi, birthday wishes and an Aleeve later and I am okay.

greater happiness comes with greater challenges. i am happy for your accomplishment, it was inspiring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread