Metal detector for kids

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been detecting since 1973. I want to know what everyone thinks is the best kids detector. I don't mean the cheap junk toy one. I want one that's light shows depth, VDI and would be easy for a 10 year old to learn and use.
Thankyou for any help
MackDOg

Here are some ideas:
Whites Coinmaster
Teknetics Digitek
Garrett Ace 200

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Robs post has good choices. Considering the Garrett Ace 200 for my 12 y.o. great niece.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's really nice to think that someone young will be getting an intro to metal detecting. All I have to say is please make it worth their while. Even if you have to plant a few coins(some clad stuff) before they get there. That memory will always be with them.
It would instill into them the drive to find more.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Sons was the Teknetics Digitek. He Loved it, nice and light and they sell a longer bottom stem for when he outgrows that one.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's really nice to think that someone young will be getting an intro to metal detecting. All I have to say is please make it worth their while. Even if you have to plant a few coins(some clad stuff) before they get there. That memory will always be with them.
It would instill into them the drive to find more.

I've taken both my great nieces detecting before letting them use my AT Pro. The older one(14 now) didn't care much for it. The younger one liked it and someone got her one of the detectors from Harbor Freight which she hated. It goes off on anything. The Ace 200 will be a big step up from the one she got. Of course me going with her is probably the biggest incentive lol.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the Bounty Hunter Jr., kid sized and light, and a discriminator that can eliminate copper cents and clad dimes. I dug with one for about 20 actual hours field time last summer, way too small for me, but I managed, it has super fast recovery time, and was fun for quarters only detecting in parks, gets down a solid 4 inches. They also make a digitized version, but I have no hands on experience with it. Hope you have found a new member of our pursuit.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've taken both my great nieces detecting before letting them use my AT Pro. The older one(14 now) didn't care much for it. The younger one liked it and someone got her one of the detectors from Harbor Freight which she hated. It goes off on anything. The Ace 200 will be a big step up from the one she got. Of course me going with her is probably the biggest incentive lol.

If you could have somehow put a makeup kit with mirror, along with a cellphone mounted to the detector the older one may have liked it. Sadly a lot of girls today are more into drama than they are getting out in the air and having some real fun. I tried to get my daughter into metal detecting, unfortunately she preferred fake nails, drama, cellphones, and other annoying things. LOL
It's really weird though, some kids really get into it if you can start them out young enough. If I had to pick a cut-off age I'd say 12. If you can get to them before that age they may get into it. After 12 though girls get all wrapped up in the drama at school.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you could have somehow put a makeup kit with mirror, along with a cellphone mounted to the detector the older one may have liked it. Sadly a lot of girls today are more into drama than they are getting out in the air and having some real fun. I tried to get my daughter into metal detecting, unfortunately she preferred fake nails, drama, cellphones, and other annoying things. LOL
It's really weird though, some kids really get into it if you can start them out young enough. If I had to pick a cut-off age I'd say 12. If you can get to them before that age they may get into it. After 12 though girls get all wrapped up in the drama at school.

Actually if she could detect from a horse she might of liked it better lol. She's into mounted shooting and barrel racing. The younger one likes a lot of different hobbies. And the makeup and cellphone along with it.:tongue3:

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RobNC is right on with his comments about getting kids started early with outdoor activities ... including metal detecting. I started with my older grand daughter when she was about 5 years old; same thing with her younger sister. I got them a Bounty Hunter Tracker 4 as a first detector. They had a great time finding "interesting" things ... including some that I may have planted on the beach or at a playground. Now the younger girl uses the BH and her older sister uses a nice Tesoro detector that I got at a thrift shop. If either detector beeps, they dig. Best thing so far is a set of brass knuckles found under a bench at a playground.

We live in North Carolina and there are quite a few places where you can find some placer gold in streams and rivers. Two years ago, I bought them their own gold pan and we spend time panning. We haven't found enough gold to pay for their college tuition but we have found enough to keep them interested.

One of my greatest joys is knowing that those girls (now 9 and 7 years old) would rather be outside playing and going treasure hunting with Papa (me) or their parents than inside playing video games or watching TV. Life is, indeed, good.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher F22 would be a good a good one...

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What about the Fisher F11?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread