Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Suggestions for cleaning out bottom of well?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1

    Jun 2013
    Hudson Valley, NY
    White's M6 AT Pro Garrett GTA350 White's F2
    337
    280 times
    Relic Hunting

    Suggestions for cleaning out bottom of well?

    My neighbor's house was originally built early 1700s. He showed me today where he found a well under the porch that he enclosed. His wife wanted him to fill the well but he wouldn't do it. He finished around it including ceramic tile but then just put a piece of slate over and inside his house. LOL
    The well measures 25 ft deep and is about half full of water. He said the water is stable as far as depth goes year-round. There is no metal pipes or anything in the well. It looks like this stone-lined well maybe almost original, and the house was built out towards it and eventually around it.
    It's only a bout three and a half feet in diameter. Any suggestions on how I can clean out the bottom? I plan to start with a magnet, but is there any kind of scoop design I can use to clean that out. I'm picturing my old Tonka trucks when I was a kid where you would lower the scoop down on a rope and it would close.
    I'm not sure your typical trash pump if I rented it to pull up the dirt from the bottom that distance.
    Any thoughts?
    doc-d and vpnavy like this.
    “As I slowly grow wise I briskly grow cautious.”
    ― Mark Twain

  2. #2
    us
    Sep 2018
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Max
    853
    1846 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Watch oak island. learn. I think you should probably start by removing the house and getting some heavy drilling equipment in.

  3. #3
    Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

    Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA) Brevard County, FL (USA)
    29,970
    12761 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    OLD WELL - BUILT in 1700's - RUN REAL FAST!
    Darke likes this.
    .:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.

    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

    .:: Rules and Guidelines ::.
    .:: NOTICE - You must be a Charter Member to sell on Treasure Net (Forum: Charter Member Classifieds) - NOTICE ::.

  4. #4
    Charter Member
    us
    Only boaring people get board

    Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    Mine Lab Equinox 800, Mine Lab Pro Find 35, Quest Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer 2, Whites ID5 Classic
    429
    637 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Rope around your ankles, go in head first and have a electric winch hooked up with 25' lead for the controller?? boom your shiten in high clovers!!

  5. #5
    Charter Member
    ca
    Mar 2014
    1,452
    967 times
    Oak Island Treasure

    Yes...Oak Island!...Or Other Cenote Treasure Hunters...May Have A Solution!

    Name:  Cenote-Dredge.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  13.5 KB

    You maybe able to construct a similar scoop like the one Thompson used at the turn of the 20th Century to Dredge the Cenote of Chichen Itza.

    https://www.lonelyplanet.com/mexico/...980c474/361707

    I would use a cheap electric winch to maneuver the bucket up and down.

    Good Luck!
    BillA likes this.
    The search for "Truth" and "Justice" is my "Prime Directive."

  6. #6

    Jun 2013
    Hudson Valley, NY
    White's M6 AT Pro Garrett GTA350 White's F2
    337
    280 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Robot View Post
    Name:  Cenote-Dredge.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  13.5 KB

    You maybe able to construct a similar scoop like the one Thompson used at the turn of the 20th Century to Dredge the Cenote of Chichen Itza.

    https://www.lonelyplanet.com/mexico/...980c474/361707

    I would use a cheap electric winch to maneuver the bucket up and down.

    Good Luck!
    THIS is what I was thinking. Or at least a simple, poor man's version. But it looks like the buckets would have to be heavier than I want to work with in order to close, or hydraulically operated.
    Maybe some kind of sand scoop on the end of 25' pole....
    “As I slowly grow wise I briskly grow cautious.”
    ― Mark Twain

  7. #7

    Jun 2013
    Hudson Valley, NY
    White's M6 AT Pro Garrett GTA350 White's F2
    337
    280 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
    Rope around your ankles, go in head first and have a electric winch hooked up with 25' lead for the controller?? boom your shiten in high clovers!!
    Sounds perfect, except for the 10-15' of water. Have a cheap hookah (Brownie Third Lung type) that I can use?
    Toecutter and Kray Gelder like this.
    “As I slowly grow wise I briskly grow cautious.”
    ― Mark Twain

  8. #8

    Jun 2013
    Hudson Valley, NY
    White's M6 AT Pro Garrett GTA350 White's F2
    337
    280 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopperstax View Post
    Watch oak island. learn. I think you should probably start by removing the house and getting some heavy drilling equipment in.
    First, I'd have to have ONE guy, with ONE detector and three people with shovels following, take four years to wonder the homestead and randomly swing.
    Megalodon likes this.
    “As I slowly grow wise I briskly grow cautious.”
    ― Mark Twain

  9. #9
    Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

    Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    20,643
    20202 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    How long can you hold your breath??
    ToastedWheatie likes this.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

  10. #10
    Charter Member
    us
    papa

    Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    2,875
    4941 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by ToastedWheatie View Post
    Sounds perfect, except for the 10-15' of water. Have a cheap hookah (Brownie Third Lung type) that I can use?
    Oh Hell no!
    Toecutter and ToastedWheatie like this.


    "And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

  11. #11

    Apr 2017
    Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2 Nokta pinpointer
    901
    1219 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Start with a magnet. Maybe a go pro in a waterproof case with a weight and a light? Maybe go to your local plant hire and get a water pump or sludge pump (slower but doesnt need priming). First things first -tape your detector (or pinpointer) to a length of pvc conduit and work the inside walls of the well. Is there a swimming pool nearby? Buy a few lengths of pool pipe and start cleaning the pool ( to get prime)....then move down to the well. It should suck up 25 feet. Or get a wet and dry vac and tape on a length of pvc pipe and see if it will suck it up the contents of the floor..

    chub
    ToastedWheatie likes this.

  12. #12
    au
    Sep 2004
    Eaglehawk
    GPX
    4,264
    1056 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (4)
    Hi , Take a bucket of water for a quality check . Temperature , smell and colour . Bio organisms , toxics and contamination is a major health risk. Hope this helps .TP

  13. #13

    Jun 2013
    Hudson Valley, NY
    White's M6 AT Pro Garrett GTA350 White's F2
    337
    280 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by chub View Post
    Start with a magnet. Maybe a go pro in a waterproof case with a weight and a light? Maybe go to your local plant hire and get a water pump or sludge pump (slower but doesnt need priming). First things first -tape your detector (or pinpointer) to a length of pvc conduit and work the inside walls of the well. Is there a swimming pool nearby? Buy a few lengths of pool pipe and start cleaning the pool ( to get prime)....then move down to the well. It should suck up 25 feet. Or get a wet and dry vac and tape on a length of pvc pipe and see if it will suck it up the contents of the floor..

    chub
    Researching the idea ofa trash pump, it's not going to lift the height I need. Has to do with atmospheric pressure etc. Above my pay grade.
    I was planning on a magnet first. Ill attach my carrot to some pvc first, great idea. Not sure I'll hear it, but worth a try.

    But you just gave me an idea that might work. Drop a wet vac down to just above waterline. attached a suction hose that will reach bottom. Now my "lift" is only a foot or two.
    It will suck up the silt and small objects and discharge the water.
    The bottom of the vacuum will trap the objects ( and silt). The water will get dirty and I'll lose the visibility, but what the heck.

    Thanks!
    chub likes this.
    “As I slowly grow wise I briskly grow cautious.”
    ― Mark Twain

  14. #14
    au
    Sep 2004
    Eaglehawk
    GPX
    4,264
    1056 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (4)
    Hi , I read once a diving bell was used in a deep gold mine shaft that had filled with ground water.TP

  15. #15
    us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    3,032
    4695 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by ToastedWheatie View Post
    My neighbor's house was originally built early 1700s. He showed me today where he found a well under the porch that he enclosed. His wife wanted him to fill the well but he wouldn't do it. He finished around it including ceramic tile but then just put a piece of slate over and inside his house. LOL
    The well measures 25 ft deep and is about half full of water. He said the water is stable as far as depth goes year-round. There is no metal pipes or anything in the well. It looks like this stone-lined well maybe almost original, and the house was built out towards it and eventually around it.
    It's only a bout three and a half feet in diameter. Any suggestions on how I can clean out the bottom? I plan to start with a magnet, but is there any kind of scoop design I can use to clean that out. I'm picturing my old Tonka trucks when I was a kid where you would lower the scoop down on a rope and it would close.
    I'm not sure your typical trash pump if I rented it to pull up the dirt from the bottom that distance.
    Any thoughts?
    up here in ny it was not uncommon to have the well directly next to, attached, or actually in the basement of a house. Winter gets cold, they didn't like having to travel far to get fresh water in the cold.
    ToastedWheatie likes this.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Cleaning colonial copper suggestions
    By Channon in forum Cleaning & Preservation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Mar 14, 2016, 08:53 PM
  2. Cleaning suggestions?
    By Brentallica in forum Cleaning & Preservation
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Jul 13, 2015, 02:45 AM
  3. Coin cleaning suggestions?
    By dirtdigger1581 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Dec 21, 2011, 08:47 PM
  4. Silver coin cleaning suggestions??
    By BomberJohn in forum Cleaning & Preservation
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 06, 2009, 05:23 AM
  5. Michigan dredging or bottom cleaning laws?
    By lonesomebob in forum Gold Prospecting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Apr 05, 2009, 04:55 AM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0