Can metal detecting headphones lead to hearing loss?

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
NO ! as you get older God selects hoose hearing he takes away ? depending how much crap you been through in life. like he'd say ? i'm taking a little of nomads hearing.because too many jerks have been blowing their horns. ignorant morons ! who ever has anything good to say anymore ? just listen to the news ? you're not missing anything i tell ya. if ya have anything you need to tell me ? tell me in sign language ? oh wait the only sign language i know is the bird ? OH WELL right back at cha buddy.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
over fourty years of metal detecting ,running big stihl chain saws , race cars and shooting i still can see pretty good.... .......:tongue3:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been detecting for 37 years and have always used headphones. I'm 73 now and last summer I started noticing that I had a minor? case of tinnitus. When listening to a radio, TV, cd player or whatever I always have it on low, so that makes me wonder....is the tinnitus simply caused because I'm getting old or did the years of detecting with headphones eventually cause it.

Check your blood pressure...it can cause ringing ears.

You can go for years...decades with heavy wax build up in your inner ears and not know it.
It will cause temporary hearing loss and ringing ears.

I once had my ears cleaned..it was crazy how much wax came out!!

Brother actually had too sensitive of hearing after getting his ears cleaned. Took weeks to settle down.

Coinucopia

Nov 24, 2017
SE Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites MXT All Pro, Whites Treasuremaster, Fisher F5,
Multiple coil options
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Listening to a threshold tone for several hours, and a quite low volume one at that seems like it could be an issue with me sometimes. My hearing isn't quite right for a little while afterwards.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FrightenedBlankJackal-size_restricted.gif

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i been in hobby since 1975 - used headphones that whole time and i can hear a mouse fart - so i guess it depends if you
use extremely loud headphones - i have used mainly standard ones for land and water

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Take it from a guy with two hearing aids that can only restore 45 percent of my hearing. If it sounds loud, it's doing damage.

TerryEastTexas

Oct 26, 2004
Palestine. Tx.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.
Primary Interest:
Other
Huh! Just kidding. But for real, I have tenitis and I think it was toooo much loud rock & roll with headphones or in my truck going down the highway over the years. But then again I'm no expert on hearing loss.

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to wear my headphones sort of Half on/Half off on my ears...that's just my personal preference tho...:laughing7: Can hear the different tones just fine...:headbang:

Got-Good-Tones

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Black Widows and Rattler (both DeterctrPro) have noise limiter circuits that clip the very loud signals.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But by letting in outside noise, wouldn't that require the user to raise the volume on the metal detector, which in turn results in additional sound energy entering the person's year?

Well, yeah, volume adjustment would be a nice feature, on the phones and/or your machine.
But, there seems to be no loss of hearing the outside noises, and still hold on a conversation,
without having to set aside one or both, in order to do so. It really feels like you are not wearing
headphones at all...!
I use another pair with my computer at home, so my rock and roll music doesn't bother my wife! :icon_thumright:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Huh! Just kidding. But for real, I have tenitis and I think it was toooo much loud rock & roll with headphones or in my truck going down the highway over the years. But then again I'm no expert on hearing loss.

No such thing as too much rock and roll.
My hearing loss was definitely military-related, then several decades more of
Too-Much-Rock-and-Roll :headbang:
plus other unmentionable bad stuff happened to me..., where I think I've earned my hearing loss...!
Eh? :laughing7:
Besides, headphones, helps save on batteries, too!

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had mild Tinnitus since 24 yrs of age. 2 months ago I hunted with the G2+ with headphones about wide open. When I took headphones off my ears were ringing wide open. Did not sleep for a week and I have since lost 20 lbs. The ringing has come down some but I think eating sugar raises it. I'm type 2. Started taking Magnesium at night and finally sleeping better. Have read where lots of people in music industry have it too from wearing headphones. I'm probably going to start hunting without headphones. 2 of my machines have volume control but the At Pro does not. May sell it. Protect your ears. Tinnitus can drive you crazy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread