Can metal detecting headphones lead to hearing loss?

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an AT Max with the wireless headphones and I generally keep my headphones turned all the way up to make sure I don't miss any tones. I almost always use the headphones instead of letting the sound come out of the machine ( as it annoys the hell out of me). Is it possible that this could lead to long term hearing loss or tinnitus etc.? Does anybody have first hand experience on this? I'm not currently experiencing problems but I'm curious if this could lead to something. Thanks.

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
Though I don’t have any first hand experience here. I can say that I almost guarantee it is possible. I haven’t heard of any metal detecting headphone circuitry to limit volume to protect hearing though some music players have it. Different people have different sensitivity to sound. If you happen to be one of those people that have sensitive ears I imagine it could happen. The cut-off for damage is generally thought to be about 85 decibels. So if any of the tones are above that, it is possible they could cause damage. Some examples of that level are an alarm clock, a passing diesel truck, a lawn mower. Riding a motorcycle is about 100 decibels. Just as a few examples.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Short answer; No.:occasion14:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the tones are blasting when you hit normal and shallow targets, yeah it CAN cause hearing loss. ITs no different than any other loud noise. Most people don't have their volume so loud that its uncomfortable.

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely there is a danger. The lower the volume the less danger you have but even lower volumes can damage your ear - less likely but can. I turn my volume down fairly low and really focus on what is coming through. I find that the higher the volume the more chattery& chirping I have to deal with.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
WHAT??????

Sorry, I couldn't resist. That's the same thing I say to my wife when she asks whether I'm wearing my hearing aids.
BTW, she doesn't find it amusing.
HH
dts

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHAT??????

Sorry, I couldn't resist. That's the same thing I say to my wife when she asks whether I'm wearing my hearing aids.
BTW, she doesn't find it amusing.
HH
dts

That’s funny ... just about what my dad says. He has hearing aids but fails to where them. Drives my mom up a wall.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Eh...?

Suggestion, use headphones that don't fully seal off outside noises.

I use Philips SHS 5200 phones, that sit behind the head, resting on the ears like a pair of eyeglasses.
Light weight, and they are inexpensive compared to most headphones that detectorists choose to use .
Check them out online. Example
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Ph...238976&hash=item2ac9fcb71a:g:6qgAAOSwpTBcL7me

But by letting in outside noise, wouldn't that require the user to raise the volume on the metal detector, which in turn results in additional sound energy entering the person's year?

EKG

Mar 19, 2017
From Germany but in South America at the moment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Fisher Jeohunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My personal choice 1558032177178.jpg

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Though I don’t have any first hand experience here. I can say that I almost guarantee it is possible. I haven’t heard of any metal detecting headphone circuitry to limit volume to protect hearing though some music players have it. Different people have different sensitivity to sound. If you happen to be one of those people that have sensitive ears I imagine it could happen. The cut-off for damage is generally thought to be about 85 decibels. So if any of the tones are above that, it is possible they could cause damage. Some examples of that level are an alarm clock, a passing diesel truck, a lawn mower. Riding a motorcycle is about 100 decibels. Just as a few examples.

Thanks for the thoughts on it.

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the tones are blasting when you hit normal and shallow targets, yeah it CAN cause hearing loss. ITs no different than any other loud noise. Most people don't have their volume so loud that its uncomfortable.

I was thinking about the cumulative effect of the high tones. Thanks for the thoughts on it.

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely there is a danger. The lower the volume the less danger you have but even lower volumes can damage your ear - less likely but can. I turn my volume down fairly low and really focus on what is coming through. I find that the higher the volume the more chattery& chirping I have to deal with.

I'll give it a try and see if I can still find stuff. Thanks.

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe get a set that has volume control...besides, your metal detector should be telling you more info some other way, like id numbers
or good ol' icons - so sounds just help you finally decide to dig or not.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been detecting for 37 years and have always used headphones. I'm 73 now and last summer I started noticing that I had a minor? case of tinnitus. When listening to a radio, TV, cd player or whatever I always have it on low, so that makes me wonder....is the tinnitus simply caused because I'm getting old or did the years of detecting with headphones eventually cause it.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been detecting for 37 years and have always used headphones. I'm 73 now and last summer I started noticing that I had a minor? case of tinnitus. When listening to a radio, TV, cd player or whatever I always have it on low, so that makes me wonder....is the tinnitus simply caused because I'm getting old or did the years of detecting with headphones eventually cause it.
At 73, tinnitus would be something I wouldn't lose sleep over. I have tinnitus at 43.
Shooting, construction equipment, headphones, ect ect it all adds up.

Military service is probably a huge factor for hearing loss for many.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread