Oregon_Digger

May 11, 2019
Lane County, Oregon
Detector(s) used
MX Sport -
Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The other day on youtube I saw a thunter and in his kit he had these little stakes that had retractable neon line. It was like 2 little 5 inch poles and he stuck one in the ground then walked down and the line pulled out and he made himself a little neon grid line across the ground. I want 3 of these to make little 5ft wide grid walks!! Does anybody know what these are called, or were they some custom job? I've searched and searched with no luck!!

Thanks guys HH :hello:

Last edited:

Coinucopia

Nov 24, 2017
SE Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites MXT All Pro, Whites Treasuremaster, Fisher F5,
Multiple coil options
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just use plain old stick and string. A cheap roll of twine and some wooden dowels from the hardware store.

OP
OP
Oregon_Digger

Oregon_Digger

May 11, 2019
Lane County, Oregon
Detector(s) used
MX Sport -
Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just use plain old stick and string. A cheap roll of twine and some wooden dowels from the hardware store.

That’s what I was thinking, but the appeal of the retractable string got me curious if it was a well known thing that I just haven’t stumbled across yet.
I think I will give your idea a shot I was pondering some ideas for something similar for a while now I just saw them getting tangled in my bag and being too annoying to use more than a couple times then inevitably eyeball gridding and missing large sections of ground. Thanks a ton for your response. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You could get yourself a few of those retractable dog leashes and that would work. You could probably find some really cheap ones on Ebay. Marking it off is a good idea, especially in wide, open fields.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The other day on youtube I saw a thunter and in his kit he had these little stakes that had retractable neon line. It was like 2 little 5 inch poles and he stuck one in the ground then walked down and the line pulled out and he made himself a little neon grid line across the ground. I want 3 of these to make little 5ft wide grid walks!! Does anybody know what these are called, or were they some custom job? I've searched and searched with no luck!!

Thanks guys HH :hello:

Was it retractable or a winder. If it was a winder it probably a masons line. They're like 10 to 15 bucks. I've used retractable athletic line stakes for marking bike trails but they're a bit bigger and pretty expensive. There's also line winder stakes but those just take spools. If you're handy you could convert one to a winder though.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ,Learn to walk in a straight line . TP

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I follow the lawnmower tracks hh chug Red wanders around sometimes in circles HH Chug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread