City parks banned.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know this is not a find other than the total ban of metal detecting in all city parks here In London Ontario Canada. I feel the ban is going across Canada, Windsor ont, has had a total park ban for a year and a half, now our city, here is the letter I recieved explaining the ban, what do you think.Hi Brian, under Part I of theProvincial Offences Act, City of London Parks and Recreation Area By-law4.1(13) states it is an offence to operate a metal detector and/or use a metaldetector. This offence has a set fine of $100. As for the reasoning behind thisban, metal detecting requires one to remove an item from the ground, anddisturbance of parks and recreation lands is prohibited. I hope this helps. Ifyou have any more questions feel free to reach out to me. Thanks,
Jake Orzech

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do they say anything about depositing trash on the ground?

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
I know this is not a find other than the total ban of metal detecting in all city parks here In London Ontario Canada. I feel the ban is going across Canada, Windsor ont, has had a total park ban for a year and a half, now our city, here is the letter I recieved explaining the ban, what do you think.Hi Brian, under Part I of theProvincial Offences Act, City of London Parks and Recreation Area By-law4.1(13) states it is an offence to operate a metal detector and/or use a metaldetector. This offence has a set fine of $100. As for the reasoning behind thisban, metal detecting requires one to remove an item from the ground, anddisturbance of parks and recreation lands is prohibited. I hope this helps. Ifyou have any more questions feel free to reach out to me. Thanks,
Jake Orzech

I’ve seen that when I’ve visited London for business and looked it up. You could risk it but if you get a ticket, I don’t expect you’d win that fight in court. London has lots of old properties though. Might be better to bite the bullet and start asking for permissions...

OP
OP
Brian C.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We have had a by-law for several years, now they are enforcing it. We were told there are big holes left open in our parks, not sure on that one. We are going to fight this if we can, I only do farm fields. HH

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have had a by-law for several years, now they are enforcing it. We were told there are big holes left open in our parks, not sure on that one. We are going to fight this if we can, I only do farm fields. HH

Most people are complete idiots and assume that the holes made by squirrels, skunks, dogs, and other animals are being left by people.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Disturbing the land is the key phrase. Does cutting and returning a plug disturbs the land? If so to what degree? We know the answer. If done properly you might not be able to find the hole. At worst the disturbance is negligible and offset by the removal of trash. . A strong case can be made to allow RESPONSIBLE metal detecting in the park. It would be better to fine people who leave holes $200.00 and permit detecting in the park.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This ordinance specifically mentions "possession or use" of a metal detector in those parks, so just having it is the problem!!

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
He wrote you a personal letter. Does that mean you know him? What are the circumstances if you do? How much does he know about our hobby? Has anyone spoken to him about it? The bottom line if no one stands up be prepared to be run over.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad the only "public" place I ever hunt is whenever I go to Myrtle Beach during Summertime and try my luck at beach hunting. :laughing7:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people are complete idiots and assume that the holes made by squirrels, skunks, dogs, and other animals are being left by people.
WHEN I WAS YOUNGER GOT BANNED FROM AN AWESOME SPOT - SAID I WAS LEAVING HOLES ALL OVER - TURNED OUT TO BE 2 GUYS CHIPPING GOLF BALLS
I USE A SHARP KNIFE AND CUT PERFECT PLUGS AND I TRY TO KEEP ALL THE DIRT IN THE HOLE - ALL THEY DID WAS ADD NO GOLFING TO THE SIGN :BangHead:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they tried banning it from a bunch of spots in Ma. too - myself and others sent tons of pics of trash we remove and pics of ring returns we have made and
that stopped the bans for now
dont think it would help - but maybe you and others up there should do the same - feel free to use some of mine and say it was pulled from spots up there
not like they will know
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/29748-albums4911.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread