Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, when something is called in, you have to respond to that. Then hopefully common sense prevails and they write the call off as unfounded, but yeah we checked it out. You don't want to berate the reporting party, even though it is a waste of time, but next time they call it may not be.

BigRay

Apr 21, 2019
Northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This country is in a world of hurt. Untill we can figure out what sex we are were all suspecious.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a competing hunter called you in to get the spot for himself... ��

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Maybe you just have that look. Have you ever noticed old ladies suddenly clutch their pocket books when you walk by? Or perhaps you've walk into a bank and the guard immediately rest his hand on his gun when he sees you. If so you probably have that look.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with others here in that Public Safety which includes Fire, Police, and Rescue have to respond to calls when dispatched. They do not have the luxury of picking and choosing as to which calls they wish to respond to or not. It is what they are paid to do. As a 26 year Firefighter veteran I responded to plenty of calls that seemed like a waste of time such as false alarms, and many other calls that I won't go into, as I'm sure Many First Responders feel the same way. Again, it is their job. Public Safety Personnel would be headlining the news if it was found out that they failed to respond to a call and something catastrophic happened such as the loss of life or a serious injury, etc. Most likely they would find themselves unemployed and possibly front and center inside a courtroom. Bottom line, they go where they are dispatched to.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dare I suggest a Fake Mustache ?
& A large Cardboard Box

images.jpg

Should make ya invisible

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been metal detecting this park for over 20 years. Yesterday it was kind of raining so i sat in my truck for an hour waiting for rain to stop. A cop pulls right by my truck knocking on my window for me identify myself cause someone called the cops on me for acting suspicious. You see, I'm out there with my metal detector and shovel and no one says a thing but when i rest at a park that is acting suspicious. There were at least 10 people in their cars but I'm the suspicious one.

Is it just me or would anyone else politely say "It is suspicious that you would ask!"

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Some years ago, I worked in a high tech factory. Our electronics were run for many hours in large heating/cooling boxes from -50 to +100 degrees C. at times.

One day, a lot of smoke started coming out of the big box. I had no idea what was causing it. All I knew was we had several thousands of people working in a closed building, and the chambers used Freon R-12, which when heated produces deadly phosgene gas. So, I ran to the phone and called the company internal fire chief.his office was not far away. I wanted him to look at it. The operator said, he is out of the building and transferred the call to the city fire department.

It turned out to be a minor problem, and one of the supervisors made an insulting remark. But, I was also on the company safety committee, and well knew a lot of people are injured or killed in disasters because someone hesitated to call for help. The company fire chief was also safety department chief and he would have been upset if he learned I, a member of his safety committee, had not called it in.

It was somewhat embarrassing to have the firefighters traipsing in, with their uniforms, but I knew I was correct in jumping the gun as I did.

It could have been worse. I might have pulled a fire alarm switch and had a couple thousand workers evacuating the building. :D

Forgot. He was in the dentist chair with his portable emergency radio when the fire department reported the hit. He was one nervous man for a while. He did agree safety rules said to call it in.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time...

Roll your window down and say...

"Confucius say... when man run behind truck he get exhausted".

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
While people are being beaten, mugged, robbed, murdered, kidnapped, or raped, we can feel safe because the cops are busy checking for seat belt violators and detectorists sitting in their vehicle.
He says from a recliner in his living room.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions