One Of My Biggest Heartbreaks, What's Yours? Everybody.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been artifact huntin for 50 years, found a lot of broke bottles, bits of pieces, worn, ruined coins, broken aboriginal American artifacts and costume jewelry that hurt my feelings.
Show us yours. Whatever it is.
This is one of my biggest heartbreaks.
I was beach huntin and got a signal, struck my shovel in and flipped this bracelet, 12.9 grams of not gold and 44 fake diamonds:
Sandbar Bracelet.jpg
If it was real and made by a big name designer, it could have sold to a rich NFL player for $10,000 or $12,000.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My heart breaks = finding rings I can identify to owners. Find them, call them, and wait two hours to be stood up on attempted returns. That's happened twice on class ring finds. Guess they didn't want them after all.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found everything from fake Spanish cobs to fake Rolexes.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was poking around in the creek behind my house the other day and found an old medicine bottle... it appeared to be intact until I picked it up, it broke in half in my hand.Dammitman!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably when I uncover a ring and it's fake or heavy gold electroplated!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I am in the middle of the biggest hoard find of my life while out metal detecting and then my wife taps me on the shoulder and says WAKE UP!!!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
A really old pewter spoon that fell apart in my hand

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
20170508_154523.jpg
20170508_154510.jpg

Stainless steel Italian coin. It came out of the ground shining like new and it's the size of a half dollar. I about crapped my pants when I saw it. Good thing I didn't, as it would have been for nothing!:laughing7:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One fake Rolex, and one Readers Digest Token that surely looked like a $20.00 gold piece on edge in the hole ! That one, was as disappointing as it gets !

OP
OP
Deep1

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another heartbreaker.
Was hunting a beach that has yielded some 17th century shipwreck artifacts.
Saw what looked like a little piece of glass sticking out of the sand.
Flipped it out to see what it was and it was this:
20190708_013228_HDR.jpg 20190708_013119_HDR.jpg
A friend has a diamond tester, it's not a diamond
Don't know what it is or how it came to be on the beach.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to take the trash out to the curb, looked down and found a plastic bag full of 14k & 18k Italian gold chains. I couldn’t believe my luck! I was blown away. How in the heck did a bag of gold chains end up here?
Looked down again and oh, oh? I didn’t have any clothes on... then I woke up as the bag was evaporating. So disappointed..

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last fall I found a large silver coin. I go to tell my friend and he sets up his camera and we are both really excited. As soon as I picked up the dirt covered coin I knew the weight was wrong. It was an aluminum railroad token that was from the 30's or 40's. I was pretty bummed out by it. A week later I found another silver coin. I knew not to get too excited but when I picked it up the weight felt right and I had my first Morgan Dollar. That made my year and it even retroactively made up for the token!

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago I found a 1885 V nickel, the star of the V series. I have found many V nickels and I most of the dates are unreadable. I could clearly see 1885 on this one. When I started cleaning it I got too aggressive and most of the front delaminated. I was left with a smooth slug. I lost a valuable coin, but I learned a valuable lesson.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mine would be a Revolutionary British GR Box plate. I found the crown, but nothing else.:( Thinking about someday restoring it, just so it will display well.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a plastic container under a tree root full of coins deep turned out to be recent pennies

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two things, a 1626 or so Netherlands Daadler coin, huge, like a silver dollar. Recent drop of a reproduction coin and a few weeks ago the BACK to a Confederate local button.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years back after a long bout of finding nothing of any value I pulled a heavy thick gold chain out of the water, marked Italy 14k. And I didn’t even need to get the gold tester out, I just held it close to a magnet and it attached itself in a split second. So disappointing.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the time I found a 14k gold wedding ring on the beach with a 2 ct diamond in it. Sent the wife to a jeweler to get it appraised. She returned and said they would look at it later and tomorrow we could go back and pick it up.... Ya, tomorrow it turned into a zarconon....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread