dougolf2

Apr 27, 2019
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks,

I'm fairly new to metal detecting (6 weeks), and I'm enjoying the hobby. However, recently I've been experiencing a numbness, tingling, and itchy feeling in my hands...especially after holding a cold beverage, washing my hands, or touching bare metal. Has anyone else ever experienced something like this?

I've got an appointment to see my doctor, but thought it could be:

A - caused by Lyme disease (possibly bitten by a tick while in the woods).
B - caused by exposure to toxins (digging in dirt where RoundUp or other chemicals were used).
C - caused by the electrical transmission of the detector.

Searching for clues/answer.

Thanks.

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use to have a similar issue and ended up being a pinched nerve in my back. Hopefully it's something simple for you and good luck.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, welcome aboard. When I saw your post I initially thought you were going to say that it occurred while detecting in which case I would tell you that happens to me occasionally, keeping hand in same position and doing a repetitive motion sometimes pinches a nerve and puts my hand to sleep. Not sure what kind of machine you have but "C" seems really unlikely. Doc will figure it out, good luck:icon_thumleft:

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome! I hope this doesn’t turn you off to detecting. Hopefully the doctors will figure it out. Seems too soon to be carpal tunnel syndrome..Good luck!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's an old superstition that when your palms itch it means money. An itching left palm means money to be paid out, while an itching right palm is money coming in. To stop the left palm from itching, the superstition says to rub the palm on a piece of wood.

Seriously though Mine itch occasionally I'm still waiting for the Money.

Sometimes when I get on my Knees to Dig My Shins feel like they are Being Devoured by ants
or that I'm kneeling in fast acting Poison Ivy.

I Sort of think it's caused by Life coming back into My Skin.
Sort of like when your Leg falls asleep and You get all sorts of Pain etc.
as it comes back to life.

I never asked a doctor, I get two Results when I Ask doctors Things .
1 They blow it off as a Joke, or they don't know so they don't care, Or two
they suggest setting me up for all types of Tests. so I don't ask.

When I Bring up Lyme or West Nile they Blow me off as paranoid,
One said testing is too Complicated and the odds are too Remote,, to Bother.
So to avoid being Labeled a Hypochondriac, I Stopped bringing them up with Doctors.

So Good Luck getting Answers :coffee2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dougolf2

Apr 27, 2019
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to see a doctor, and it turns out he's into metal detecting as well. We shared some stories, then discussed my itchy and tingling hands. He ruled out the three suspicions I shared above, and indicated that it's probably a mild case of Raynaud's Syndrome. It causes the blood vessels to narrow when a person feels cold or stressed. When this happens, blood can't get to the surface of the skin and the affected areas turn white and blue. When the blood flow returns, the skin turns red and throbs or tingles.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. Most of what I own now is numb or just hurts. Unfortunately, no joke, and using the metal detector didn't have much to do with it. Couple vertebrae messed up and the nerves go berserk.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nerves? Circulation?
Enhanced sensitivity from wearing gloves while detecting , and then removing them after? (Wear gloves detecting though.)

My numbness and tingling is nerve related. Plus the effect of aging to boot.
Does not stop going forward though.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you using a machine with an S bent shaft? My hand used to "go to sleep" with my Sovereign. I put a straight shaft on it & problem solved. It was pinching the nerves in the wrist and with the straight shaft handle at a better angle it did the trick. Doesn't sound like much but a silly couple degrees makes a huge difference!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GO get a physical and have yourself adjusted. Pinched nerve likely Numbness and tingling can be a multitude of other things including pre diabetes. A blood test will rule all of that out and then you can focus on detecting. Wear gloves if you are paranoid about round up but frankly I worry more about the residues in food than what is in the dirt. Organic it is for me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread