3D metal detectors

mextallion

Jan 13, 2014
porterville calif
Detector(s) used
Spectrum xlt x-terra master huntercx gemini3 sierra madre, v3i, tdi, gti2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mi friend, be very careful before you spend your money on those machines. Find friends that used metal detectors. Go out with them experience what they do and ask questions. Have a great day!!

BlackSamurai

Jun 20, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im looking for a detector that can detect gold and other objects hidden in tunnels and caves, what would be the best detector? What do you guys think of 3D detectors like Makro Jeohunter or Deephunter, are they fraud?

The Makro Jeohunter and Deephunter can in no way shape or form produce any 3D image. They only produce a completely worthless image of the detection. It is a totally meaningless visualization of the detection. You can not learn anything from anything the machines display on their screens. The screen is useful only when doing the ground balance. The same goes for the precious metal LED light indicator which is never accurate. The machine is basically covered with worthless bells and whistles. I have owned the Jeohunter. The Deephunter is only an upgraded model of the Jeohunter which they claim can detect slightly deeper. It does detect deeply buried objects but in most circumstances you can not use the machine while set to its highest sensitivity level because it detects all mineralization and of course you will get excited because half the time the screen will display "GOLD". You will spend the rest of your life digging holes to nothing if you use the machine in the highest sensitivity. It is really only useful when you set it to 50% sensitivity and below. Which will greatly reduce the machines depth capabilities for each coil.

Michael, you'll be disappointed in these machines. They are way over priced for what they do. If you want to detect deep you should get yourself a VLF two-box machine like the White's TM 808 or one of the many PI units that include a larger square frame coil. Having both to test your targets would be much more reliable than having either of the Makro machines.

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id check ebay for a old xray scanner from a hospital and start taking pictures like the poperozi where the gold and stuff is hiddin.....boom!!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can rent a ground penetrating radar machine pretty inexpensively for a day. But interpreting the signals it gives back apparently is no easy task.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
think about it
3D = "x", "y", and "z" dimensions are each going to display the magnitude of some characteristic; which would those 3 be ?
ferrous, non-ferrous, and ?? (magnitude and depth can be somewhat massaged depending . .)

am NOT saying such a machine does or does not exist, just wondering what is being displayed

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, it's usually 4D. You have "x" and "y" do describe "shape" of the target conture, "z" may represent the signal strenght and "resistivity" of the material is encoded in colour. Thus, every dot in the space is described by 4 functions, that qualifies for 4D, the accuracy and usefulness depends from machine to machine and are ofently questionable....

Overseas

Jun 28, 2016
Europe
Detector(s) used
Deephunter by Makro
Primary Interest:
Other
I own one. I am a geeky guy, so yes I love bells and whistles.

PROs:
I can tell you it finds things deep without the two man coil...buckets full of dirt deep!

You have to "try hard", but it definitely find little things buried deep! When this thing goes off there is surely metal there! Even If I hear little beeps only from one side I usually will try again or try under different soil conditions. Most are hot rocks, but not always, so make sure you have done a good ground balance and balance again occasionally.

CONs: I have a weak back and this thing is bulky! I find the "Gold" reading inaccurate at low percentages, but with higher percentages it almost always is gold or some non-ferrous metal.

Summary 1: This thing is bulky, but finds things endlessly. Ignore the iron and set it to gold (unless you are in a UXO area!!!). You will still find some iron...nothing is perfect. Flag the high readings of gold and then dig to find your non-ferrous metal reward.

3D pros and cons;
PROs It works!

Cons: The 3d function requires either a 2nd person to take a measurement or for you to mark the ground on each side, measure the distances between the beeps in centimeters, and then input it into the screen. This is difficult to do alone if you suck at "eyeballing" measurements and need to use a ruler (the most accurate method). I have a mini retractable tailor's measuring tape from $tree (also occasionally available in Europe at €Shop). The end result is the same...a broad visual approximation. Kind of neat though.

3d Summary: I like the 3d and I might use it once (possibly twice) during an outing. Normally, if I have to bend down to take measurements I will just take the gear off and start digging with my pinpointer next to me!

I hope this helps anyone reading.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Overseas - interesting "hands-on"
can you give us something a bit comparative
which machine do you have ?
and you use what size coil ?
have you experience with other VLF or PI units ?

thanks, Bill

edit: Deephunter (I saw)

Last edited:

MAILITY

May 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own one. I am a geeky guy, so yes I love bells and whistles.

PROs:
I can tell you it finds things deep without the two man coil...buckets full of dirt deep!

You have to "try hard", but it definitely find little things buried deep! When this thing goes off there is surely metal there! Even If I hear little beeps only from one side I usually will try again or try under different soil conditions. Most are hot rocks, but not always, so make sure you have done a good ground balance and balance again occasionally.

CONs: I have a weak back and this thing is bulky! I find the "Gold" reading inaccurate at low percentages, but with higher percentages it almost always is gold or some non-ferrous metal.

Summary 1: This thing is bulky, but finds things endlessly. Ignore the iron and set it to gold (unless you are in a UXO area!!!). You will still find some iron...nothing is perfect. Flag the high readings of gold and then dig to find your non-ferrous metal reward.

3D pros and cons;
PROs It works!

Cons: The 3d function requires either a 2nd person to take a measurement or for you to mark the ground on each side, measure the distances between the beeps in centimeters, and then input it into the screen. This is difficult to do alone if you suck at "eyeballing" measurements and need to use a ruler (the most accurate method). I have a mini retractable tailor's measuring tape from $tree (also occasionally available in Europe at €Shop). The end result is the same...a broad visual approximation. Kind of neat though.

3d Summary: I like the 3d and I might use it once (possibly twice) during an outing. Normally, if I have to bend down to take measurements I will just take the gear off and start digging with my pinpointer next to me!

I hope this helps anyone reading.

The Makro Jeohunter and Deephunter can in no way shape or form produce any 3D image. They only produce a completely worthless image of the detection. It is a totally meaningless visualization of the detection. You can not learn anything from anything the machines display on their screens. The screen is useful only when doing the ground balance. The same goes for the precious metal LED light indicator which is never accurate. The machine is basically covered with worthless bells and whistles. I have owned the Jeohunter. The Deephunter is only an upgraded model of the Jeohunter which they claim can detect slightly deeper. It does detect deeply buried objects but in most circumstances you can not use the machine while set to its highest sensitivity level because it detects all mineralization and of course you will get excited because half the time the screen will display "GOLD". You will spend the rest of your life digging holes to nothing if you use the machine in the highest sensitivity. It is really only useful when you set it to 50% sensitivity and below. Which will greatly reduce the machines depth capabilities for each coil.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
maility well I gather you don't think much of it
but kind of the same questions

do you have anything a bit comparative ?
say a GPX with an 18" coil ?

MAILITY

May 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Makro Jeohunter and Deephunter can in no way shape or form produce any 3D image. They only produce a completely worthless image of the detection. It is a totally meaningless visualization of the detection. You can not learn anything from anything the machines display on their screens. The screen is useful only when doing the ground balance. The same goes for the precious metal LED light indicator which is never accurate. The machine is filezilla uc browser rufus basically covered with worthless bells and whistles. I have owned the Jeohunter. The Deephunter is only an upgraded model of the Jeohunter which they claim can detect slightly deeper. It does detect deeply buried objects but in most circumstances you can not use the machine while set to its highest sensitivity level because it detects all mineralization and of course you will get excited because half the time the screen will display "GOLD". You will spend the rest of your life digging holes to nothing if you use the machine in the highest sensitivity. It is really only useful when you set it to 50% sensitivity and below. Which will greatly reduce the machines depth capabilities for each coil.

Michael, you'll be disappointed in these machines. They are way over priced for what they do. If you want to detect deep you should get yourself a VLF two-box machine like the White's TM 808 or one of the many PI units that include a larger square frame coil. Having both to test your targets would be much more reliable than having either of the Makro machines.

lumusislight

Greenie
Aug 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Originally Posted by MAILITY
The Makro Jeohunter and Deephunter can in no way shape or form produce any 3D image. They only produce a completely worthless image of the detection. It is a totally meaningless visualization of the detection. You can not learn anything from anything the machines display on their screens. The screen is useful only when doing the ground balance. The same goes for the precious metal LED light indicator which is never accurate. The machine is basically covered with worthless bells and whistles. I have owned the Jeohunter. The Deephunter is only an upgraded model of the Jeohunter which they claim can detect slightly deeper. It does detect deeply buried objects but in most circumstances you can not review
my essay today and use the machine while set to its highest sensitivity level because it detects all mineralization and of course you will get excited because half the time the screen will display "GOLD". You will spend the rest of your life digging holes to nothing if you use the machine in the highest sensitivity. It is really only useful when you set it to 50% sensitivity and below. Which will greatly reduce the machines depth capabilities for each coil.

Yeah, that's quite possible (and in my case it was inevitable). Because of the highest sensitivity (I had Deephunter Pro then), I had to dig a lot (by "a lot" I mean really a lot).
I've been thinking to try Makro Jeohunter, but now I guess I won't. Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

Overseas

Jun 28, 2016
Europe
Detector(s) used
Deephunter by Makro
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not use the two man coil, but I do use the larger one. It does not require I swing it side-to-side but out of habit I do. The small coils I.must swing. I use it not because it is painfully heavier...lol but for better discriminating.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions