How often you guys have dry spots metal detecting?

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes just being out there with a detector is enough for me. I know that each hunt might produce and it might not, but I got exercise and helped clean up a park or a yard. Good karma will catch up to you the more you go out!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the thrill of the hunt. These days, its research, research and then some more research. We have over 400 years of history here on the East Coast, with some earlier Spanish thrown in, but the really early stuff is scarce.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just keep thinking,,,that next signal might be a gold coin, or buckle, or whatever(insert favorite here)...:laughing7:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, when I get to hunt, the biggest thought when I start is: I wonder what will turn up! I'm pretty happy to get any kind of relic. Coins are good too but not primary in most of my spots. I always keep thinking as I'm wading thru iron signals, there were people here and where ever people were, they lost stuff, so I'm in a good spot.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smallfoot, you're right on. A few years ago I was digging junk iron parts to Civil War ration cans previous diggers had tossed up against trees. The one had a kinda funny sound to it, I dug it and it was a pristine breastplate.

On another farm, another year, I was with a digging buddy and was happily removing aluminum cans from along an old road, with an occasional modern bullet thrown in, now a paved driveway and the one "aluminum can" was a Confederate buckle. I got so excited I almost threw up!

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out today, waited til 7:00 and the temp to drop to 90 and humidity to 60%, heat index 97.
It is miserable hot in the Lowcountry. You don't want to be in the sunshine in the middle of the day.
Hunted 3 sites. Didn't find a damn thing.
Day before same story and day before that, same story.
And Monday, went to a beach an hour of heavy traffic away each way.
Got there about 4:00, there were thousands of people on the beach. Started to try something else and decided to dodge people and work the beach. I thought there had to be some good stuff there. It there was, I couldn't find it.
Worked non stop til 9:30. All told 7 1/2 hours with drive.
Found 2 junk rings, 3 junk earrings, $.87 and 3 rivets and a screw I thought were silver earring backs .

junk .jpg

Last week found this:

20190628_003611_HDR.jpg 20190628_003624_Burst01.jpg 20190608_173701_HDR.jpg

Sometimes you hit and sometimes you miss.
Find some new sites.
Do some research, do some door knocking.
Make sure your detector is still working as it should, by burying a target or two and testing.
It's been a while since you detected, go to a local school or park and dig some clad to refresh your skills.
There's still good stuff to be found, it just takes more effort these days.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smallfoot, you're right on. A few years ago I was digging junk iron parts to Civil War ration cans previous diggers had tossed up against trees. The one had a kinda funny sound to it, I dug it and it was a pristine breastplate.

On another farm, another year, I was with a digging buddy and was happily removing aluminum cans from along an old road, with an occasional modern bullet thrown in, now a paved driveway and the one "aluminum can" was a Confederate buckle. I got so excited I almost threw up!

I'm back and forth across an old trail out here where I live. Found enough cast iron to build a stove, but I still dig them. Never know when it might be a big tool. Deep large iron all over and I can still pull non ferrous out. I tune out some iron but not much and dig the large deep stuff every time. But I really think if you take most of it out it helps next time thru. I'm not kidding, the other evening I swung across an area that I've been over many times. Lot's of small iron and other signals. I dug 36 firearm related items out of a 10x10 foot area. All kinds..shot shells, bullets, round balls, pistol cases, rifle cases and one big chunk of plow share.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Let’s face it, California is Corona Cap Capitol of the world next to pulltabs. Try backyards with permissions. Look for old homesteads or open areas that host swap meets, carnivals and other people get togethers.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just enjoy being outside, so a dry outing or two doesn't bother me. We are always more motivated to go on another hunt when we make nice finds. Like some have said, research is the key to finding nice old "treasures". Look for old schools, churches, and go knock on some doors of older homes. Sometimes you will be told no, and sometimes the yard will have been hunted, just keep on knocking ! If you continue to hunt the same newer school yards and small parks, chances are your finds will be minimal after time.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper-2, I like the pic of the knight on the horse. Good stuff there.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dry spots certainly happen to us all and it's no fun when it does because time is precious. Those of us who aren't retired only get so much time. When I'm not finding stuff I try to soak in my surroundings when its nature or picturesque. To keep the motivation I watch youtube videos, read books about the history in my region, read American Digger magazine, and live vicariously through the people on TNet and their finds!!! Also I really like to take out my finds and sit and look at them think about their unknown history and I often pick up a coin or relic and I can almost replay the experience of finding it in my head! Also you have to know that the dry spell will come to an end.

rjeffw

Mar 27, 2017
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time I go out I hit a dry spot. Either my entire county has been hunted bare, or I just stink at it, or these people were very careful with their money. I go where there should be old money about, but none is there. I am envious of all those who seem to find something all the time.

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love history and reading about places of old, a lot of good leads in the 900 section at your local library, or visit a meeting of the historical society, keep your ears open these places are dripping with leads...Geo...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions