Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey...I'z gots a guitare but ain't got no banjoe!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can play a mean Spoonz......specially if there is a bowl of ice cream nearbouts.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A polite society is an armed society. With similiar happenings in my own rural neighborhood I have found that keeping a backyard shooting range pays big in keeping it peaceful around here. When the locals seem to be getting out of hand I step out the back door and unload whatever flavor firearm I am keeping oiled and ready for any nasty surprise event. Tends to make the locals realize they might be next on the bullet backstop list, and it gets nice and quiet around here.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A polite society is an armed society. With similiar happenings in my own rural neighborhood I have found that keeping a backyard shooting range pays big in keeping it peaceful around here. When the locals seem to be getting out of hand I step out the back door and unload whatever flavor firearm I am keeping oiled and ready for any nasty surprise event. Tends to make the locals realize they might be next on the bullet backstop list, and it gets nice and quiet around here.

I say shoot and let shoot as long as it's reasonable.
Living in rural America means waking up to a gun shot now and then.
I want to be able to shoot within earshot of other people (which is a big radius), so I allow the same...within reason.

Numerous times I have contacted people wizzing bullets over my head. They usually thought they were safe and some were shooting into a berm of dirt they put up in an attempt to make it safe to shoot.

I listen to the police scanner...many calls about gunshots in the evening.
Almost as many as the reckless driver calls.

I usually don't get too upset unless it's right on my doorstep so to speak.

I've heard full auto shooting several miles from my property and still didn't call it in.

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are coming with cars, dont they?

A 308. under the wipers is a nice innuendo that other people have guns, too.

Dont leave fingerprints.

Namxat

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not a good idea to return fire. UNLESS you know they are shooting at you. Found out who did it. Film at 11.

A few years ago a neighbor allowed some of his friends to use his "sandpit" to do some shooting.
It wasn't long before I heard some pellts falling through the trees.
My "return fire" shot into the dirt, was the perfect signal to tell them, "Hey! Someones over here A@@hat! "

Just letting your poachers know that you know may be enough to move them along.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toastedwheatie, a "return fire" scenario would best be made with one larger sized firecracker. No chance of it hitting them, but, with people on drugs and all, best to call the cops and hide. Fireworks are legal here.

MAILITY

May 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get out there in tan coveralls with a white hanky hanging out the back pocket, make hand antlers on your head, and do some buck snorts.

Don't worry they will know antlers without velvet is not in season.

:P
“During the gold rush its a good time to be in the pick and shovel business.” Mark Twain

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a big fan of "return fire". Won't see me doing that unless I have to make it count.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a big fan of "return fire". Won't see me doing that unless I have to make it count.

I agree that the case described here probably would not have been ideal for return fire and i also agree with you about "making it count". But there can be rare instances when return fire is a way of saying "Hey I'm here". About 50 years ago, while crossing the bottom of a sand and gravel pit (yes, trespassing...), I was fired upon by a high powered rifle from the rim of the mine pit. I saw neither the muzzle flash nor the person. It was a single shot and penetrated the pulled-up collar of my pea-coat before slamming into the ground behind me. I hit the deck and fired all but two shotgun shells in the direction where I thought the shot originated. My intention was not to kill anyone, because I couldn't - the person would have been far out of range of my 16 ga. shotgun loaded with #6 shot for rabbits. There were no additional shots fired at me - but of course, I have no idea if there would have been even had I not fired my own gun.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that the case described here probably would not have been ideal for return fire and i also agree with you about "making it count". But there can be rare instances when return fire is a way of saying "Hey I'm here". About 50 years ago, while crossing the bottom of a sand and gravel pit (yes, trespassing...), I was fired upon by a high powered rifle from the rim of the mine pit. I saw neither the muzzle flash nor the person. It was a single shot and penetrated the pulled-up collar of my pea-coat before slamming into the ground behind me. I hit the deck and fired all but two shotgun shells in the direction where I thought the shot originated. My intention was not to kill anyone, because I couldn't - the person would have been far out of range of my 16 ga. shotgun loaded with #6 shot for rabbits. There were no additional shots fired at me - but of course, I have no idea if there would have been even had I not fired my own gun.

Well of course returning fire when fired upon!
I was shot at as a kid, probably 10 or 11 years old.
A girl friend and I were out exploring. We were on someone else's land, which was generally acceptable those days. Fences were for cattle, not people.

All of a sudden I hear yelling and then a couple loud shotgun shots. My head turned on a swivel and I caught a glimpse of a man lowering a shotgun from his shoulder.

I yelled "RUN!

We bolted and as I came closer to the first fence, I decided to just leap over it like a track star.
Didn't quite make it and ended up stuck straddling the barb wire fence.
By then my friend caught up ;) and we both helped each other through the fence.

We kept running home. I noticed that I had ripped the back of my pants leg and my friend said "your bleeding..stop for a minute!" I yelled "keep going". Finally we were far enough away and out of breath.

I assessed my wounds. Ended up with a long ragged gash running from my back pocket down to the back of my knee.
There was fat and muscle showing. We had roamed farther than we were supposed to and there was no way I was going to tell my parents. I snuck into the bathroom and doctored my leg and hid it from them. I think my mom probably asked me about a missing pair of jeans. Don't know?!
Still have that scar.

Never did go back on that property.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, my ex marine neighbor must have spoken to the right people. It's been quiet here for the last few nights. It's probably over all by itself.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digger, Excellent story! I was hit by shotgun pellets quite a few times when I ignored "no trespassing" signs (Signs, signs, everywhere a sign...) and hollers to vacate. If the field was irresistable to me for arrowhead hunting after a rain, and if there was no chance for getting permission, well, I just kept at it and stayed out of shotgun range until the pellets actually sang.

My trespassing started early. Last month, my mom was buried within sight of our first house - a rental adjacent to a pig farm, long gone now. When i was 3, I took advantage of whenever my mother would be occupied with my little brother and would escape to visit my friends the pigs. I would stand among them and talk to them. The farmer added barbed wire, not to keep the pigs in, but to keep me out. I was caught once and snagged my left knee on the barbed wire. Those were my first stitches 61 years ago and I still have the scar. I remember leaving the hospital with p'o'd parents who would not let me linger to admire the most beautiful rhinocerus beetle on the hospital steps. We moved shortly after that.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, my ex marine neighbor must have spoken to the right people. It's been quiet here for the last few nights. It's probably over all by itself.

Excellent. A Howitzer would have been too expensive anyway. Around here, a cease-fire means the a-holes have run out of eagles to shoot.

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were called. Never saw one.
Give em time. :laughing7: Around here response times are hilarious! Forty one minutes to show up for an accident in the middle of the intersection. I kid you not! Sat waiting with a burglar at gunpoint for almost half an hour!!!! Call for suspicious people scoping out cars with a flashlight? I'm still waiting!!!! That was seven months ago.

Sounds like I'm out in the boonies? Heck no, I'm in the middle of the city 1.7 miles from a substation and a little over 2.5 from another one. When they do finally show up they look like the Keystone Cops! Told a field Sergeant that and he got a little testy. Handed him my ID and told him to run it to see my background. He came back with a sheepish look & it was yes sir no sir from there. Seriously I think we got all the youngsters that flunked the academy either that or they don't train them these days.

So count your blessings my friend.......

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My neighbor deserves a medal...scared them off real good!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread