Wishing you great success with your garden.....Joe McDonough

OP
OP
J

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Day all. Today is March 3, 2020 and I have flowers blooming in my garden in north east Pennsylvania. The maple trees are starting to bud and hundreds and hundreds of geese have been flying north
up the Susquehanna river. I am 71 years old and have never seen this happening this early in the year. Today the first Reticulated Iris bloomed, they art usually first to bloom but never this early.

Anybody else seeing happenings like these?.....Joe McDonough

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's early here too. A couple weeks ago, my wifes daffodils were up with swollen buds. My leeks (ramps to you all in West Virginia) were up 2''. Way earlier then normal, but they were delicious. I had planted 4 blueberry bushes last year and a rabbit ate 3 of them. It's gonna be a dead rabbit if I see it.

OP
OP
J

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Hiker thanks, trim you blueberry bushes high enough to wrap some chicken wire around the base and that might solve your B'rer Rabbit problem.
I may add blueberry or blackberry bushes this year but they must be ready to fruit. .....Joe McDonough

OP
OP
J

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning fellow growers, What's Growin' On?
Had my first heirloom slicer today a Cherokee Purple on a BLT.
Can't tell you how great it was, perfect acidity and sweetness.
Been harvesting many peppers of all sorts and plenty of sun gold cherry tomatoes.

What are you doing in you piece of heaven?.....Joe McDonough

poetsgarden

Dec 6, 2021
Good morning fellow growers, What's Growin' On?
Had my first heirloom slicer today a Cherokee Purple on a BLT.
Can't tell you how great it was, perfect acidity and sweetness.
Been harvesting many peppers of all sorts and plenty of sun gold cherry tomatoes.

What are you doing in you piece of heaven?.....Joe McDonough

poetsgarden

Dec 6, 2021
Good day everyone! I would like to re-start this thread because of the difficulties many people may face with all the firings and layoffs that are occurring right now in America. Not only are there record numbers of people not working
prices for everything are going crazy. Therefore if this thread may help someone to grow food for family and friends
I think it will be a worthwhile endeavor. Please tell us what you plan to grow/where you grow/how you grow food and flowers. Flowers in many cases are edible. Also I am a scrounger, not afraid to ask for free stuff to help with my garden.
I am currently getting 5 gallon food grade buckets for free from Chick Fil A locally. This year my garden will expand from 600 sq. ft to about 750 sq. ft. I eat from it my brother eats from it and the rest we give to anyone who needs or wants something from the garden. Good luck to all you mini-farmers and best wishes.....Joe McDonough
Formerly joesmarbles Hero Member

poetsgarden

Dec 6, 2021
Something amazing and hopeful happened in the garden today.
At least a dozen tulips broke ground this morning. We have been covered in ice and have had freezing temperatures for quite a while so I was very surprised to see the tulips coming up so early. Much earlier than before in the garden.
Perhaps we can have an early spring this year.

Best wishes.....Joe McDonough

poetsgarden

Dec 6, 2021
Something amazing and hopeful happened in the garden today.
At least a dozen tulips broke ground this morning. We have been covered in ice and have had freezing temperatures for quite a while so I was very surprised to see the tulips coming up so early. Much earlier than before in the garden.
Perhaps we can have an early spring this year.

Best wishes.....Joe McDonough
For all the gardeners out there, our local Ocean State job lot store is selling 2022 Burpee seeds at 40% off.
I have stocked up for a few years. Just can't beat that price anywhere.....Joe McDonough

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Good day fellow gardner i love your thread and would like to share pics of my garden with you. I live south calif desert and grow year round indoors n out.
It a warm 90 out today just started planting my out door garden. weather is strange here 2 week back it was to cold for in ground planting.. Now its summer weather.
I also have a green house for winters that are cold and protection from the high winds we have here

My green house today is probably 110 degrees and time to start up the wet wall keep things cooler, it extends my growing season for last of winter crop..

I only grow vegetables, keeps me from spending $ at the market.
Also my garden is my place to meditate get away from the real world for a minute. Lookin foward to seeing your garden this season and sharin my garden story with you if you dont mind.
Fellow sodbuster...
Gt....

20220404_160621_HDR.jpg

20220404_160558.jpg

poetsgarden

Dec 6, 2021
Welcome GT, love your garden and story. I firmly believe we cn and should help others who I believe will have to grow some food in the future. Food prices at German markets Aldi and Lidl and others went up as much as 50% on Monday.
I believe this is just the beginning. As for the food I grow many of my neighbors think food comes from the store so I try to show them where food really comes from and to teach them to grow food themselves. You don't need a garden per se, containers will do just fine as you demonstrate in your garden. I wish you all the best and thank you very much.....Joe McDonough

poetsgarden

Dec 6, 2021
Okay fellow gardeners here is the status of the garden so far this spring.
A three day freeze killed the hyacinths and reticulated Iris' over the Easter period.
The tulips in the same bed did just fine and are in full bloom.
Currently there are three different types of onions out of the ground, Red Yellow and scaliions.
Two different radish are out of the ground, Lady slipper and red globe.
Three different types of carrots are out of the ground, Danvers Nantes and Kuroda.
Newly planted tulips have flowered along with the original tulip bed.
Currently 23 newly planted Gladiola plants have spiked up with 8 more planted yesterday.
This week I hope to get tomatoes in the ground and pepper plants in containers.

Hope all is well with everyone, Best wishes.....Joe McDonough

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread