Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have about 600 sq. feet to plant. All my veggies have back-up plantings. I will have tomatoes cucumbers peppers(8 different varities) and corn through the fall.
I have harvested onions, garlic, radishes, sweet carrots, turnips, snap peas, snow peas, greeen peppers, jalapeno peppers, hungarian wax peppers, green beans and wax beans so far this spring.

Joe McDonough

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a fine looking , intensive, container garden you have. Wow, what a variety! Hope you share some pics of those glads when they start blooming.

OP
OP
J

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are giant German Iris and the season is over for them. I have in my garden those and about 150 exotic tulips( season over) reticulated Iris'(season over) Asian lillies(almost over) and one pot of Gladiolas(about to bloom) I have had stolen from my garden Asian Lillies and Gladiolas.
Somehow this became a new thread check out the original for my method of bucket planting.(EASY PLANTING)
Last year was the wettest year ever here and this year we are already beating that by 4 inches of rain.
Thanks and best wishes.....joe McdONOUGH

OP
OP
J

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello MODS is it possible to combine this thread with my original easy planting thread? Thanks.....Joe McDonough

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use square foot garden boxes for a lot of stuff, saves me a ton of space. But I do have a small row garden behind the house. I do all edibles, except for some landscape ornamentals. I am trying three sisters companion planting for the first time.

OP
OP
J

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bryan I use a lot of buckets because we have so much rain. I use cheap dollar store collanders upside down in the bottom of the buckets to drain the soil along with weep holes.
Good luck with your garden.....Joe McDonough

Attachments

• IMG_2512.jpg
    IMG_2512.jpg
    670.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2513.jpg
    IMG_2513.jpg
    784.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2514.jpg
    IMG_2514.jpg
    631.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2525.jpg
    IMG_2525.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All, we are experiencing a major caterpillar invasion. They are about one inch long and crunch when crushed, black in color and are everywhere.
So far they don't seem to have eaten anything in the garden and they don't seem to live but a short time. Has anyone else run across this type of caterpillar?

best wishes to all.....Joe McDonough

OP
OP
J

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning all, the invasion of caterpillar like critters appears to be over.
The best example to use to describe the critters would be a black meal worm
but I cannot find such a critter existing. The invasion lasted apx. two weeks
from the first sighting and a final explosion of population during a heavy storm.
My neighbors house was covered with the critters and they were on my porches and steps
and lattice work. I cannot find any damage to my garden and I cannot find any nests
from which they may have come, For me it was a good fright as I could envision the
devastation they could have caused. fortunately that did not come to pass.

Best wishes to all the gardeners out there I hope this experience may help you in your endeavors
.....Joe McDonough

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like millipedes. Can you post a picture? What are these bugs eating? If they are eating the leaves try using Sevin. If they are eating roots you gotta use a systemic to kill them, but you don't want to use a systemic pesticide on vegetables.

There is a guy at the community garden in town that does small patches of corn like you got. The other day he was telling me that a small patch like that might not self-pollinate in the wind and he goes around shaking the tassels together. I guess bees don't do corn. :dontknow:

Nice looking garden. I like that you got room for flowers. Some people forget to make room for flowers.

OP
OP
J

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Duckshot, They have not eaten anything in the garden and although I have dozens of birds of all types( woodpeckers bluejays robins cardinals sparrows and blackbirds) not a single one of the birds ate one of these critters. I actually have three plantings of corn, about 35 stalks in one planting, so far they are doing well, ten in buckets(3) they have six cobs growing, and 22 stalks planted about a month later and they are beautiful. Sorry I don't have a camera or a cell phone or a t.v. or even a watch. I live a simple peaceful life with the garden, the birds and ice cold Labatts.
My computer give me as much information as I need. I don't have to die to go to heaven I am already there. Best wishes.....Joe McDonough

OP
OP
J

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duckshot I just watched some videos on millipedes and yes that's what happened. My neighbors rain gutters are full of rotting vegetation and that's probably where they came from.
Best wishes.....Joe McDonough

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice job! :occasion14:

OP
OP
J

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks PoE and BillA, now it is more of picking and protecting more than anything else. Protecting against the elements(heavy Rains, wind etc) and picking veggies before the split or get too big.
I give a lot away to my neighbors and let little kids pick some veggies if they want to. As to how many hours, I am in my garden many hours every day but that is just because to me my garden is my "Little Piece of Heaven" In the evening I sit and watch it grow, watch the sun go down and enjoy an ice cold Labatt's.
Best wishes to all.....Joe McDonough

OP
OP
J

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
September 17 and there are lots of flocks of geese flying south along the Susquehanna river. Seems too early to me, I am still harvesting about a dozen tomatoes everyday and cukes still are flowering and all my varieties of peppers are still producing. Come what may I just put in 16 new windows( six in the attic and 10 on the second floor. New storm doors are installed front and back and new entry door was put in last night. Bring it on Old Man Winter I'm ready for you!.....Joe McDonough

OP
OP
J

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning to all, I have noticed an increase in the numbers of Wooly Bear caterpillars this year. So far about 24 have found their way into my garden.
All have been mostly brown with little black with the exception of one all black critter. Have you boys and girls seen an increase in your areas?
Thanks and best wishes.....Joe McDonough

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only an increase in the amount of night crawlers I have been digging up and uncovering close to the surface. Might be due to the very wet spring we had.

OP
OP
J

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Day everyone, it is February 12, 2020 and it seems as though all those Woolly Bear caterpillars that predicted an early spring may be right on target.

Here in NEPA we have had a mild winter for the second straight year(solar minimum) and in my garden Reticulated Iris' ,onions,tulips and Asian Lillies have broken ground.
They are predicting 5 degree weather this weekend so I will have to see what survives. Way too early to see these but time will tell how it goes.....Joe McDonough

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread