Easy Planting
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Easy Planting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Sep 2012
    497 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Easy Planting

Year number two for my little garden.....

"I like gardening - it's a place where I find myself when I need to lose myself."
    Alice Sebold
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2527small.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	1727527   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2520.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	1727483   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2521.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	3.57 MB 
ID:	1727487   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2522.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	3.71 MB 
ID:	1727492   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2516small.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	1727526  

Last edited by joesmarbles; Jun 28, 2019 at 12:50 PM. Reason: replace rotated photos

us
    Bryan

Jul 2012
    Mid-Missouri
    Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
    175 times
    Looks nice. You are making the most out of the space you have.
    Kray Gelder and joesmarbles like this.
    Bryan in Mid-Missouri
    "MidMoTreasure" on Youtube

Sep 2012
    497 times
    I have about 600 sq. feet to plant. All my veggies have back-up plantings. I will have tomatoes cucumbers peppers(8 different varities) and corn through the fall.
    I have harvested onions, garlic, radishes, sweet carrots, turnips, snap peas, snow peas, greeen peppers, jalapeno peppers, hungarian wax peppers, green beans and wax beans so far this spring.

Joe McDonough
    Kray Gelder and kingskid1611 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    6558 times
    Metal Detecting
    That's a fine looking , intensive, container garden you have. Wow, what a variety! Hope you share some pics of those glads when they start blooming.
    joesmarbles likes this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Sep 2012
    497 times
    They are giant German Iris and the season is over for them. I have in my garden those and about 150 exotic tulips( season over) reticulated Iris'(season over) Asian lillies(almost over) and one pot of Gladiolas(about to bloom) I have had stolen from my garden Asian Lillies and Gladiolas.
    Somehow this became a new thread check out the original for my method of bucket planting.(EASY PLANTING)
    Last year was the wettest year ever here and this year we are already beating that by 4 inches of rain.
    Thanks and best wishes.....joe McdONOUGH
    Kray Gelder likes this.

Sep 2012
    497 times
    Hello MODS is it possible to combine this thread with my original easy planting thread? Thanks.....Joe McDonough

us
    Bryan

Jul 2012
    Mid-Missouri
    Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
    175 times
    I use square foot garden boxes for a lot of stuff, saves me a ton of space. But I do have a small row garden behind the house. I do all edibles, except for some landscape ornamentals. I am trying three sisters companion planting for the first time.
    joesmarbles likes this.
    Bryan in Mid-Missouri
    "MidMoTreasure" on Youtube

Sep 2012
    497 times
    Hi Bryan I use a lot of buckets because we have so much rain. I use cheap dollar store collanders upside down in the bottom of the buckets to drain the soil along with weep holes.
    Good luck with your garden.....Joe McDonough
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2512.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	1727842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2513.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	1727843   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2514.jpg 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	1727844   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2525.jpg 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	1727845  
    Last edited by joesmarbles; Jun 29, 2019 at 11:05 AM.

Sep 2012
    497 times
    Hi All, we are experiencing a major caterpillar invasion. They are about one inch long and crunch when crushed, black in color and are everywhere.
    So far they don't seem to have eaten anything in the garden and they don't seem to live but a short time. Has anyone else run across this type of caterpillar?

best wishes to all.....Joe McDonough

Sep 2012
    497 times
    Good morning all, the invasion of caterpillar like critters appears to be over.
    The best example to use to describe the critters would be a black meal worm
    but I cannot find such a critter existing. The invasion lasted apx. two weeks
    from the first sighting and a final explosion of population during a heavy storm.
    My neighbors house was covered with the critters and they were on my porches and steps
    and lattice work. I cannot find any damage to my garden and I cannot find any nests
    from which they may have come, For me it was a good fright as I could envision the
    devastation they could have caused. fortunately that did not come to pass.

Best wishes to all the gardeners out there I hope this experience may help you in your endeavors
    .....Joe McDonough

Charter Member

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 36°60'
    5297 times
    Sounds like millipedes. Can you post a picture? What are these bugs eating? If they are eating the leaves try using Sevin. If they are eating roots you gotta use a systemic to kill them, but you don't want to use a systemic pesticide on vegetables.

There is a guy at the community garden in town that does small patches of corn like you got. The other day he was telling me that a small patch like that might not self-pollinate in the wind and he goes around shaking the tassels together. I guess bees don't do corn.

Nice looking garden. I like that you got room for flowers. Some people forget to make room for flowers.
    joesmarbles likes this.
    Liberty is the Freedom to do the next Right thing.

In God We Trust

Sep 2012
    497 times
    Thanks Duckshot, They have not eaten anything in the garden and although I have dozens of birds of all types( woodpeckers bluejays robins cardinals sparrows and blackbirds) not a single one of the birds ate one of these critters. I actually have three plantings of corn, about 35 stalks in one planting, so far they are doing well, ten in buckets(3) they have six cobs growing, and 22 stalks planted about a month later and they are beautiful. Sorry I don't have a camera or a cell phone or a t.v. or even a watch. I live a simple peaceful life with the garden, the birds and ice cold Labatts.
    My computer give me as much information as I need. I don't have to die to go to heaven I am already there. Best wishes.....Joe McDonough
    Duckshot likes this.

Sep 2012
    497 times
    Duckshot I just watched some videos on millipedes and yes that's what happened. My neighbors rain gutters are full of rotting vegetation and that's probably where they came from.
    Best wishes.....Joe McDonough

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    26920 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Very nice job!
    joesmarbles likes this.

cr
    May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    963 times
    congrats Joe, looks quite fine
    on avg, how many hours/day ?
    joesmarbles likes this.