The Old Coinshooter...

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMG_0007.JPG I didn't get to bum around much with this person, but I got to pick his brain and I really learned a lot about hunting. He did most of his hunting in the late 60's thru the 70s and I think around 1981 he had stopped ....... I really don't know just how much he actually found in old school yards, parks and street strips... I do know he found a gents ring in a park in Washington State that he eventually sold for enough to buy himself a new Ranchero... He had bags of coins, lots of jewelry, expensive stuff and junk...I didn't get to travel much for years as I was working on Trans Alaska Pipe projects but I think it was 1982 or 3 I went to Oregon and bought one of George Paynes newly designed Tek Mark 1s .. Dang that unit was a real coin killer, more then multi tones and there was no mistaking that high pitched silver tone...Dimes on edge rang out loudly and as I think back the detector constantly amazed me..I couldn't talk him into hunting anymore but he would tag along and watch...I think he just enjoyed watching me find stuff...Well I can't say much more as I start getting choked up. Who was this Old Coinshooter that gave me all of his finds ...I have a large bank bag full of silver and a bag of old pennies that I might go thru one day...This person I knew very well..The Old Coinshooter was my Dad....

Last edited:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s an awesome story, you are a lucky man!!!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This was a great story. I'm sure you and the "Old Coinshooter" (your Dad) have made some nice memories made thru the years together. You are indeed a lucky man. I always wanted to take my Dad relic hunting but he had a bad ankle from a work related injury that gave him problems. We were together along with my Mom in 1969 on my first relic hunt ever at age 13. I was using my first metal detector, a WWII surplus Mind Sweeper. I would find my first relic this day, a CW artillery Hotchkiss shell frag. This day my love for Relic Hunting began. I wouldn't take anything for this memory, and I'm sure you have many made with your Dad. Good Dad's play such an important part in a young boys and girls life growing up. For those of us that had a Good Dad, we were Blessed. I know I was, as I'm sure you were or are as well. Thanks for sharing this story with us.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story - thanks for sharing!

I was surprised to hear my own son describe how much fun he had when I took him along with me long ago with his Tesoro Amigo. He still has it and said it reminds him of the fun trips and finds we made starting about 25 years ago. And that old Tesoro still works.

OP
OP
A

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've caught myself grinning several times since I made this post the other day. I think it was 1985 and I got this idea about hunting an old school yard the Old Coinshooter had hit years before..It was private property now and I had to get permission to look.... Dang, no one gets everything lol.. Well I was partially right...I hunted that old yard and found pretty much nuttin, zilch,zip, pretty tough discovering that old CM4 had picked her clean.. Well I didn't give up and I discovered he had left things.. My Tek MK 1 was a real killer and I had learned I could edge under iron fences, along sidewalks and hunt right up to swingset iron supports. These were the 4 or 5 coins I found, next to one of the supports I got a typical iron lowtone grunt then that sweet high coin tone.. Under the fence it was the same grunt and a high tone. Interesting for sure the old CM4 could just not see the coins that close to iron...I was really happy that the old slow shuffling person had left me a challenge...

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome story, thank you for sharing! :notworthy:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story you followed in his footsteps thats the best compliment. Great post

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If stories and memories could make it to the banner board I would vote this one up there !! Congrats to you and the old coin shooter on those great memories !!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would banner that to thats Cats in the Craddle stuff there!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread