Do you have to spend allot of money to get a good metal detector?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's going to depend on what you are going for. Almost any detector will find good stuff. My $329 Tesoro Cibola has found the most, including a gold guinea and my largest gold and diamond ring.

You will get a lot of answers. f you have the patience to dig it all, then any machine that works will do well.

Tesoro is now out of business but their machines still rock. You can get a used Garrett AT pro for that money.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Californio

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm mostly looking for old coins, jewelry.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then you have a lot of choices. Check out a site like Ebay for machines in that range. If you have a chance, find a dealer you can visit to pick something out. Lots of dealers have both used and new machines.

There is no perfect machine out there. It all take work and patience.

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Tesoro units are hard to beat for sure, liteweight and strong...

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At pro is a fun machine to use - I think it might be limited for high end hunters though.

The best machine is the one fully charged and in your vehicle

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Not necessarily. You do have to focus on where it is you’ll be using it. The parks, fields or the beach or all of the above. That should lead you to what type/brand is best for the areas you might want to hunt.
I just picked up a used Tesoro Mojave and I’m very impressed with it. It has great discrimination. Under $200. Good luck!

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When did Tesoro go out of business. I have an older machine that I started my kids in.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just this year. However my first Tesoro which I bought in 1989, and now owned by someone else, is still going strong. Just don't leave it in the rain, put it in the washer or run over it with a truck.

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just this year. However my first Tesoro which I bought in 1989, and now owned by someone else, is still going strong. Just don't leave it in the rain, put it in the washer or run over it with a truck.

Too bad. The inexpensive one I bought still works. Great buy for the money

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my Minelabs and Fisher CZ5, although the Minelabs are a little more cost wise to get into.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are quite a few good detectors out there for under your $400 price. I have a Garrett Ace 400 as my backup unit and it cost me just a tad over $300. I've used it a number of times and it gets the good stuff. Batteries last a long time and it has a very short learning curve.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get great detectors with little use on them on ebay as stated above or I have found several good deals on craigslist. I got my AT Pro used on craigslist for $300, it is still going great seven years later. Got a used three times Excal for $650 on craigslist too. One thing about craigslist is when you find a fairly local machine you can usually try it out, something that is not usually possible with ebay sales. There are many used machines with little use on the market as so many are trying the hobby and deciding they don't have the patience for it or realize finding good stuff can be work. I have no problem buying a used detector that the warranty has expired on if it was a closet queen and sat barely used for a couple or few years. These things are modern electronic devices and really have few problems unless abused by owners.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions