Anyone else having problems with the post office?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three incidences in 6 weeks. I mailed something I sold. I took and hand delivered it to the post office. It had to go a whole 60 miles. It got there but someone had used a razor knife and opened it and stole the goodie inside.

Two weeks ago a package simply disappeared. "Out for delivery" meant WAY out for delivery.

Today I not only get my neighbors mail but the package did not come and tracking shows it was on the vehicle after sorting. This one might show up but several instances of getting someone else's mail lately.

Is it just me?

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes you want to put the government in charge of a whole bunch more important things doesn't it?
I'd rather go with private shipping such as Fedex or UPS.
There's something about an organization that HAS to do the job right or they go out of business.
This is in contrast with an agency that can run in the red and still get a pat on the back.

These numbers popped up on a google search.
BCAEE190-AC64-49C5-B8B3-E4754CDC14D5.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the last six weeks I have been taking the good stuff to mail to the next nearest post office, across the state line. Nothing I have sent has been lost that way.

It's annoying for sure. If it gets worse I'll go UPS.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will only use FedEx now period! Got burnt badly by the other two that have been mentioned.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like they need to do a cleaning at your local P.O. I think P.O. Stands for something else!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More recent data. Time to make a change.
Where else can you negotiate for better pay and benefits while having to borrow $3 billion each year to pay for it?

6B07FFB2-2751-4683-A7A0-B36A7EEDCA09.jpeg

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like they need to do a cleaning at your local P.O. I think P.O. Stands for something else!
It's not performance based employment. I doubt anybody could even legally be fired.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a retired carrier, I can tell you there are many possibilities for this. Thieves working in the Post Office...not unheard of, but rare. I worked in the same building with a total of two in my career. Parcels left on a porch, then stolen. Parcels left with an apartment manager office, and stolen (#1) in my experience. Misdeliveries? New carrier on your route, new substitute, part time help, or, a bad carrier. Fill-in carriers are really pushed for time, and often will get careless, or I should say, are not given the time to be careful.

If there is a thief internally, reporting these events will help track down the guilty party. Calls are logged, reported, postal inspectors will do their job.

Most carriers deliver many millions of pieces of mail and parcels over their careers, and are never found responsible for losing mail.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not entirely true.

Perhaps, but for all practical purposes it is true. I'm sure you have seen some crazy stuff working at the USPS.
I'm only speaking from my experience with government jobs in general.

I've nothing against government workers.

I was told by a postal employee not to have valuable items mailed to my P.O. Box. Said it was a free for all after hours. Crowbar and a long arm. Stuff was being broke into on a routine basis and there was nothing they could do.

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, people love to hate the Post Office, and Postal workers. I don't take it personally. It was a very difficult, physical, repetitive motion job. As a mounted carrier, I would be tasked daily with delivering between 3000/4000 and 10,000 pieces of mail, to 1100 individual mailboxes, after putting around one third of that in delivery sequence myself, the remainder machine sequenced. Christmas, throw in 30, 40, 100 or so parcels every day. I would be carrying in my little mail truck over a ton of mail. Do it all in 8 or 9 hours.

I'm not patting myself on the back, just describing the job. We carriers all develop bad backs and necks, bone spurs in our shoulders, carpel tunnel, ruined knees and ankles. One die hard I knew, transferred into management because he could no longer walk without TWO braced canes, so he spent the last few years of his career counting mail, making sure each day it all got out.

I earned every penny, by the way. Then for thanks, OPM screwed up my retirement, started it out at 83 cents, and it took me 6 months to get 80 percent of what it should have been, take it or leave it.

I hope your delivery problems get sorted Smokey. I recommend UPS. They're still Union. Yeah, Union guy here, still dues paying. An evil Commie *******, no doubt.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, after me going down there and threatening to call the police...THEY FOUND IT. I'll pick it up tomorrow, early.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It never used to be like this. Three packages in 6 weeks, yahoos out firing shotguns and hitting the tree 20' or less from me. As it said in "Ghostbusters", "cats and dogs sleeping together."

And then with the shooting thing the dispatcher asked if I was going to go outside and see anything for them. Like He..no, I do not want to be a target. Never used to be like this and I'm in one of the most crime free sections of the county.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No, it's not only you! I sent something return/receipt and after three weeks never got the little green card. :dontknow: Glad I kept the receipt with the tracking number. After checking the sent and return number on the USPS website, the attended party received the package :icon_thumleft:, but my sender receipt is hung up somewhere in the system. Well at least the party received the item. This has happened twice in two months! :BangHead:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Post Office is Not what it Used To Be :(

They Mis-Deliverer, Forget to sometimes & Deliver it the Next Day :(
I Got called to the Post Office Once & They showed me My Package All Ripped Up & asked me if I Still Wanted
It. Said the Kids who Bring the Packages to the Post Office Have No Respect, They just Trow Things Around :(

I Found one of their Hand Computers That they use to
Punch in Tracking Numbers, Along the Highway Once.
Took it to the Post Office, Never Got a Thank You, or anything.
Just There's a Number on it, It can be Traced and he walked away with it.
They Don't go out if it's Raining too Much, Don't deliver in the Snow.
or Dark if they are Running Late. Don't even Open their Doors most Days.
But the Price of a Stamp Keeps Rising. .55 Cents Now I Think

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, people love to hate the Post Office, and Postal workers. I don't take it personally. It was a very difficult, physical, repetitive motion job. As a mounted carrier, I would be tasked daily with delivering between 3000/4000 and 10,000 pieces of mail, to 1100 individual mailboxes, after putting around one third of that in delivery sequence myself, the remainder machine sequenced. Christmas, throw in 30, 40, 100 or so parcels every day. I would be carrying in my little mail truck over a ton of mail. Do it all in 8 or 9 hours.

I'm not patting myself on the back, just describing the job. We carriers all develop bad backs and necks, bone spurs in our shoulders, carpel tunnel, ruined knees and ankles. One die hard I knew, transferred into management because he could no longer walk without TWO braced canes, so he spent the last few years of his career counting mail, making sure each day it all got out.

I earned every penny, by the way. Then for thanks, OPM screwed up my retirement, started it out at 83 cents, and it took me 6 months to get 80 percent of what it should have been, take it or leave it.

I hope your delivery problems get sorted Smokey. I recommend UPS. They're still Union. Yeah, Union guy here, still dues paying. An evil Commie *******, no doubt.

Ever heard of Charlie Snapp?

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, it's not only you! I sent something return/receipt and after three weeks never got the little green card. :dontknow: Glad I kept the receipt with the tracking number. After checking the sent and return number on the USPS website, the attended party received the package :icon_thumleft:, but my sender receipt is hung up somewhere in the system. Well at least the party received the item. This has happened twice in two months! :BangHead:

Hit and miss getting the signed receipt back despite the additional cost involved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions