Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Anyone else having problems with the post office?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21314 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Anyone else having problems with the post office?

Three incidences in 6 weeks. I mailed something I sold. I took and hand delivered it to the post office. It had to go a whole 60 miles. It got there but someone had used a razor knife and opened it and stole the goodie inside.

Two weeks ago a package simply disappeared. "Out for delivery" meant WAY out for delivery.

Today I not only get my neighbors mail but the package did not come and tracking shows it was on the vehicle after sorting. This one might show up but several instances of getting someone else's mail lately.

Is it just me?

Mar 2016
    2809 times
    Makes you want to put the government in charge of a whole bunch more important things doesn't it?
    I'd rather go with private shipping such as Fedex or UPS.
    There's something about an organization that HAS to do the job right or they go out of business.
    This is in contrast with an agency that can run in the red and still get a pat on the back.

These numbers popped up on a google search.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BCAEE190-AC64-49C5-B8B3-E4754CDC14D5.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	1731434
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Jul 10, 2019 at 05:09 PM.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21314 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    For the last six weeks I have been taking the good stuff to mail to the next nearest post office, across the state line. Nothing I have sent has been lost that way.

It's annoying for sure. If it gets worse I'll go UPS.
    RustyGold and T.C. like this.

Aug 2016
    MI
    E-TRAC
    3369 times
    I will only use FedEx now period! Got burnt badly by the other two that have been mentioned.
    RustyGold and Rebel - KGC like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Mojave 720i Stealth Scoop
    6902 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Sounds like they need to do a cleaning at your local P.O. I think P.O. Stands for something else!
    Rebel - KGC and T.C. like this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

Mar 2016
    2809 times
    More recent data. Time to make a change.
    Where else can you negotiate for better pay and benefits while having to borrow $3 billion each year to pay for it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6B07FFB2-2751-4683-A7A0-B36A7EEDCA09.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	1731435
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Mar 2016
    2809 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyGold View Post
    Sounds like they need to do a cleaning at your local P.O. I think P.O. Stands for something else!
    It's not performance based employment. I doubt anybody could even legally be fired.
    Rebel - KGC, RustyGold and T.C. like this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    5967 times
    Metal Detecting
    As a retired carrier, I can tell you there are many possibilities for this. Thieves working in the Post Office...not unheard of, but rare. I worked in the same building with a total of two in my career. Parcels left on a porch, then stolen. Parcels left with an apartment manager office, and stolen (#1) in my experience. Misdeliveries? New carrier on your route, new substitute, part time help, or, a bad carrier. Fill-in carriers are really pushed for time, and often will get careless, or I should say, are not given the time to be careful.

If there is a thief internally, reporting these events will help track down the guilty party. Calls are logged, reported, postal inspectors will do their job.

Most carriers deliver many millions of pieces of mail and parcels over their careers, and are never found responsible for losing mail.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    5967 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    It's not performance based employment. I doubt anybody could even legally be fired.
    Not entirely true.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Mar 2016
    2809 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    Not entirely true.
    Perhaps, but for all practical purposes it is true. I'm sure you have seen some crazy stuff working at the USPS.
    I'm only speaking from my experience with government jobs in general.

I've nothing against government workers.

I was told by a postal employee not to have valuable items mailed to my P.O. Box. Said it was a free for all after hours. Crowbar and a long arm. Stuff was being broke into on a routine basis and there was nothing they could do.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Jul 10, 2019 at 05:57 PM.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    5967 times
    Metal Detecting
    Yeah, people love to hate the Post Office, and Postal workers. I don't take it personally. It was a very difficult, physical, repetitive motion job. As a mounted carrier, I would be tasked daily with delivering between 3000/4000 and 10,000 pieces of mail, to 1100 individual mailboxes, after putting around one third of that in delivery sequence myself, the remainder machine sequenced. Christmas, throw in 30, 40, 100 or so parcels every day. I would be carrying in my little mail truck over a ton of mail. Do it all in 8 or 9 hours.

I'm not patting myself on the back, just describing the job. We carriers all develop bad backs and necks, bone spurs in our shoulders, carpel tunnel, ruined knees and ankles. One die hard I knew, transferred into management because he could no longer walk without TWO braced canes, so he spent the last few years of his career counting mail, making sure each day it all got out.

I earned every penny, by the way. Then for thanks, OPM screwed up my retirement, started it out at 83 cents, and it took me 6 months to get 80 percent of what it should have been, take it or leave it.

I hope your delivery problems get sorted Smokey. I recommend UPS. They're still Union. Yeah, Union guy here, still dues paying. An evil Commie *******, no doubt.

Jun 2007
    13714 times
    We use UPS for "important" stuff...

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21314 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Well, after me going down there and threatening to call the police...THEY FOUND IT. I'll pick it up tomorrow, early.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    5967 times
    Metal Detecting
    Ha! That's terrific! Congrats.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21314 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    It never used to be like this. Three packages in 6 weeks, yahoos out firing shotguns and hitting the tree 20' or less from me. As it said in "Ghostbusters", "cats and dogs sleeping together."

And then with the shooting thing the dispatcher asked if I was going to go outside and see anything for them. Like He..no, I do not want to be a target. Never used to be like this and I'm in one of the most crime free sections of the county.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links