What may be a silly question

Eandltreasure

Jul 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

So I've been hunting with my humble f22 for a few months now and have been having a blast. Some old coins, relics from unlikely places, and of course silver and a few white gold items.

Recently however, I dug out from 4- 5 inches down a 14 k gold 1/4 carat men's ring. Had it cleaned and looked over at a jeweler who gave me a a quick value. $1500. No bad.

Of course I know I won't get that for it, beautiful as it is, but I simply don't know where to get top value. I don't want to sell something like this in eBay, Craigslist is a big no, and of course pawn shops are out.

So my question. Where do you guys sell your big finds?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the jeweler gave you was retail or insurance value.
Contact the jeweler and ask for wholesale value and how much he would buy the ring for.
That will give you an idea what a realistic value is.
There's not many alternatives to selling jewelry
Private sales can be iffy.
Pawn shops are not going to give you anywhere near wholesale, you won't even get scrap value.
Over the years, I sold some of my better quality stuff to a local jeweler at wholesale. This is your best bet.
Or you can try an online buyer.
Not recommending, just an example:
https://www.worthy.com/sell-jewelry

OP
OP
E

Eandltreasure

Jul 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, he said I could probably get 3-600. They make their own jewelry there ,so I'm not too sure they'd buy it, but I'll double check.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a tough one. Forget the pawn shops. Ebay works but you have to have the right person at the right time. I have never sold an expensive piece of jewelry, but on the little stuff, it wasn't pretty either on Ebay or at a jeweler's.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can go online and see what gold melt or scrap value is and go by that

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice gold recovery! :notworthy:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy answer from me - I don't sell anything. My wife and kids can take care of that in another 20 to 30 years !

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have sold both of Craiglist and Facebook as well as at Flea Markets and Gun Shows. I no longer do eBay because of what they pulled on me back in 2017. I sell at Flea Markets and it is usually hard to sell valuable items at any of them but every now and then, you get the right Buyer come by. I would recommend local Facebook buy, sell and trade groups and Facebook Marketplace. However, just like with selling to or buying from individuals on Craigslist, you need to meet in a public place (inside), watch your' back, have protection and/or someone with you, only take cash if selling and make sure you are not followed when you leave.

Good luck and be safe!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huntsman53, with your wise comments, now I remember why I never do Craigslist!

Joshbiz

May 2, 2014
Sugar Hill, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I was wondering why eBay is so bad to sell the ring on? Just put down what it is and how much you are looking to get and it may sit there for 2 months but if someone loves it and has to have it they will pay more than scrap price. Also if you get something from the jeweler saying it is worth 1500$ you could sell it for 1000$ and walk away happy, the person buying it could sell it for 1050$ and everyone will be happy.
Just a thought, eBay has a lot of people viewing it all over the world so it would be easy to sell a nice ring like that.
just my .02$

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Ebay? Breaking a toe is less painful. I’ve done Craigslist deals, my bro has done dozens, Not one shady deal. Like others have mentioned, if you’re skeered, just meet at your bank or the local cop shop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread