Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find I need less and less sleep the older I get. I stay up late and do some form of activity after dinner. Like jog around the block. I limit my drinking now too. That kept me awake.
When I go to sleep at 9 or 10 I pop awake at 3 AM When I go to sleep at midnight I pop awake at 5 or 6. At least there is lees day when starting at 6 than 3 I am fine on 6 hours.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try taking a magnesium supplement - at least 200 mg a day helps improve your ability to fall asleep faster. You need to take it for at least a week or two before it starts working.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have cat-induced insomnia. They have me trained to get up and feed them at 0400. If I just pull the sheet over my head, one will start knocking things off night stands and the other will scratch at the bed. At some level, I admire the teamwork. Retired, I don't have to stay up after feeding them at 0400 and sometimes can't get back to sleep. I know the solution is to put them in the basement and let them up to feed at a normal time, but they have me well trained.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have cat-induced insomnia. They have me trained to get up and feed them at 0400. If I just pull the sheet over my head, one will start knocking things off night stands and the other will scratch at the bed. At some level, I admire the teamwork. Retired, I don't have to stay up after feeding them at 0400 and sometimes can't get back to sleep. I know the solution is to put them in the basement and let them up to feed at a normal time, but they have me well trained.

As long as you know where you stand in the house and can swallow being manipulated by a cat.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as you know where you stand in the house and can swallow being manipulated by a cat.

Having worked in gov't for 32 years, I've seen things far more ridiculous than serving cats.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
No matter what time I go to bed, I’m up at 4:30am. If I’m having trouble sleeping, I just read or watch YouTube

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
4:30 AM, 1st of many cups of sock coffee, light rain -> moderate (~1"/hr; 12'/yr total); have fed the cat and am browsing TN - a full life, lol.
I do relate to the cat comment, and for 8 hr feedings of raw meat 4 AM seems most convenient; then noon and 8 PM. The cat does rule.

I view insomnia as an illness/dysfunctionality within the head, and for me the solution is what I call 'mental housecleaning'
to ensure that I do not pursue circular thinking about that which I cannot change.
I enjoy thinking but have an absolute limit on worrying, I don't and wont.
(The passenger test: Are you driving? If not, sit back, relax, and enjoy the view. Don't like -> leave, but never ever whine.)
Insomnia for me is directly related to stress, more correctly it is my reaction to stress.
So where does stress come from ? We do that in our heads.

But discipline is not in vogue today . . . . .

hours slept is an interesting investigation (a window into your head)

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
and there is more (sorry)

meditation is a skill that should be learned by everyone, practice to one's inclination
it has a calming effect and absolutely can be used to put oneself down for the count, sleep on demand

Silva Method is one org doing such training (meditation is so foreign to my mindset that I had to repeat the course 3 times)

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Automatic feeder on a timer?

Sounds like these cats indeed have the owners trained.
Luckily I'm a dog person and he gets fed on my schedule.
I've got him trained to do his thing before he comes in and hold it all night.
He does occasionally wake me if there is an emergency.

When it starts to be a habit, I ignore him and go back to sleep. That breaks the habit.

My older dog had a good excuse and I can remember getting up at 3:00 every morning.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
IMAU
perhaps I was not clear
I feed my cat when I chose to do so.
In the morning after I start the water for my coffee, then the cat gets fed.
I do not arise to feed my cat, rather because I go to bed/sleep at 8 PM; so +8 hrs puts me at 4 AM approx

insomnia ? no, don't think my cat has it; probably meditates

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10-4...sorry for treating you like a crazy cat lady.

Arthur-Dent

Banned
Jul 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May I suggest Sleepytime tea by celestial seasonings.
One cup should do the trick. Two cups and you'll probably be late for work.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good replies and a lot to think about here so far.

For me, I'll be sitting in my living room feeling dead tired, occasionally about to fall asleep in my chair, but the minute I lay in bed I'm wide awake again. I think part of it is the arthritis in my knees makes it hard to get comfortable, but it does that in the chair or on the couch too....

I can't try pot for it, I work construction and that would cause me all sorts of trouble if there was an accident on a job, (plus I just can't handle the smell of it) but I'll look into the other things mentioned here

Get the caramels they’re are delicious. Best caramel I ever had as far as taste and I love caramel.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I throw up on THC..(the stuff around here..haven't had any for almost 18 years..) Not opposed to it, just can't handle it after I've had my six pack..tried almost everything in the book. Nothing more than a tequila shot in almost 20 yrs.....Besides That salvia (NOT POT)... I thought I was gonna die after the second go around...I must be a light weight, BUT>>>>> to answer your question I slept like a freakin baby that night...lol

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I throw up on THC..(the stuff around here..haven't had any for almost 18 years..) Not opposed to it, just can't handle it after I've had my six pack..tried almost everything in the book. Nothing more than a tequila shot in almost 20 yrs.....Besides That salvia (NOT POT)... I thought I was gonna die after the second go around...I must be a light weight, BUT>>>>> to answer your question I slept like a freakin baby that night...lol

Yeah definitely not THC even at it most highest.....trust me. You’re not a light weight that stuff is crazy lairmo lol

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread