Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But not quite. We had a huge storm, again, but this time the winds reared up and I got a snapshot of the cell the NWS said had a tornado warning with it. Look on the left Side. Those are apparently the updrafts the radar saw. Fortunately, they dissipated quickly. IMG_0482.JPG

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you dodged that bullet! We had some tough storms come through here recently but luckily, no rotation in the clouds!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was heading out my street to get a haircut. I was looking like a shaggy dog. I get 1/2 mile over the little creek and my cell phone gives a weather alert so loud and obnoxious I almost ran the car into a ditch.

I read it, got around the bend and another 1/2 mile (it was bright and sunny where I was) and saw what you saw in the picture. I tried to get a better picture but saw the storm was moving fast. I got home just as it got to me. Barely got wet. The cats freaked out, so it must have been bad.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I REALLY wanted a better picture, but this is the best the storm had. I ran for home quickly however.

OldWest

Aug 23, 2014
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lived in Kansas since 1963. Seen everything. Ran from some. Weather reports are a lot better now than they were in the 70's. Pinpoint accuracy helps. Not everyone pays attention but I sure know when it's going to be a bad day.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aunty Em Aunty Em can you imagine those tornado chasers those folks are nuts it would be fun until it turned on you and you became a meteorite

amekassa

Jul 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lived in Kansas since 1963. Seen everything. Ran from some. Weather reports are a lot better now than they were in the 70's. Pinpoint accuracy helps. Not everyone pays attention but I sure know when it's going to be a bad day.

Glad you dodged that bullet! We had some tough storms come through here recently but luckily, no rotation in the clouds!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's quiet now. 89 degrees, no wind.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad it missed you! We had a tornado warning up here at 9700 feet in the Rocky Mountains yesterday! Scared the family pretty bad. I told them we should at least wait till the wind gets bad before we seek shelter. It never did get too scary thank goodness. You all sure have some monsters to deal with. Hopefully it will suck off the dirt from those coins! Stay safe!!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The worst one was at the tail end of hurricane Andrew. Apparently a pretty large one formed about 40 miles west of here. Did a house in, but picked it's funnel up off the ground and me and all the neighbors heard the freight train roar as it went over. It touched down about 70 miles of here and did a lot of damage. That's the only time I have ever told the kids to go to the basement. Whew!

amekassa

Jul 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The worst one was at the tail end of hurricane Andrew. Apparently a pretty large one formed about 40 miles west of here. Did a house in, but picked it's funnel up off the ground and me and all the neighbors heard the freight train roar as it went over. auto clicker word unscrambler It touched down about 70 miles of here and did a lot of damage. That's the only time I have ever told the kids to go to the basement. Whew!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in Ohio yesterday, I got to talking to the landowner. There were huge supercells just north of us. They missed. I asked her if she ever had seen a tornado there. She points to a big stump 15' from the house and says, "see that stump? I was working in the garden (20' in the other direction) and a storm blew up fast. I went inside, (remember folks, 20' away) and this big wind came in and took out that tree, went across the road and see that empty patch, took all that out too". Sorry, 20' is way too close for me! She is one gutsy lady!

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Glad it missed you! We had a tornado warning up here at 9700 feet in the Rocky Mountains yesterday! Scared the family pretty bad. I told them we should at least wait till the wind gets bad before we seek shelter. It never did get too scary thank goodness. You all sure have some monsters to deal with. Hopefully it will suck off the dirt from those coins! Stay safe!!

I live at around 6000 feet above sea level in the Central Highlands of Mexico. It is not considered at risk for tornadoes.

But, several years ago, a niece and I saw a perfect funnel cloud way up in the air over our heads. Luckily, it did not drop down.

And, Yes, I had training to be a certified tornado spotter, so I am sure it was a funnel cloud.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6,000 feet above sea level is very unusual for tornado formation!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread