The History Channel is Digging Up John Dillinger's Body But Nobody Really Knows Why

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The History Channel has received a permit to dig up the body of 1930s gangster John Dillinger from his grave at a cemetery in Indiana. Why? Nobody really knows yet.

Dillinger became a folk hero for robbing banks as a kind of Robin Hood figure during the Great Depression. And by all accounts, Dillinger was strangely polite during his robberies, leading many average Americans to celebrate someone who they saw as simply sticking it to the bankers. But Dillinger was killed in a shootout with police in Chicago during the summer of 1934.
Some have speculated over the years that Dillinger’s body may not actually be buried in the grave that has been his supposed resting place since 1934. And the best working guess is that the producers from the History Channel simply want to see if he’s actually buried there. But even if Dillinger really is buried on the north side of Indianapolis, the History Channel might have a bit of difficulty getting to the body, according to historians in Indiana.

Indiana health department spokeswoman Jeni O’Malley said that based on the permit, the agency expects Dillinger’s body will be exhumed and reinterred on Sept. 16 — the date listed on the document.
But digging up Dillinger’s grave might prove a difficult task because days after his son’s funeral, Dillinger’s father had the casket reburied under a protective cap of concrete and scrap iron topped by four reinforced-concrete slabs, said Susan Sutton, a historian with the Indiana Historical Society.
“I think they’re going to have a hard time getting through that,” Sutton said.
The concrete protection of the body was put in place because Dillinger’s family wanted to thwart vandals from getting at the gangster. Public figures who were both loved and hated throughout the 19th and early 20th century would sometimes take extra precautions to ensure that their bodies weren’t tampered with after death. Railroad baron George Pullman, who died in 1897, was famously buried much deeper than usual and encased in thick concrete to make sure the workers who despised him couldn’t desecrate his remains.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great, if I view the video, will I start getting ads for caskets?

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have a couple of feet of concrete to go thru I wonder what they are up to.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the family made their wishes known through clear actions, yet the government feels it has the right to issue a permit to an entertainment company to violate those wishes??!!

I guess there must be some living family members getting paid off so the final resting place can be disturbed for profit.
Am I getting warm?

I wonder exactly how long it takes for respect of the dead to wear off?

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another reason to be cremated....

Dmansoz

Tenderfoot
Aug 28, 2018
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When they shot a man in the theater in Chicago and identified it as Dillinger. There’s speculation that they were wrong. The Federal authorities and medical examiner at the time said he had a slight hair color change and a very good facelift. Apparently there’s speculation that this is NOT Dillinger.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When they shot a man in the theater in Chicago and identified it as Dillinger. There’s speculation that they were wrong. The Federal authorities and medical examiner at the time said he had a slight hair color change and a very good facelift. Apparently there’s speculation that this is NOT Dillinger.

Good comment, wonder what they will call the show on the History Channel?

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
my question would be - if not Dillinger - who was killed ?

SD51 - I would give you a title but it would be deleted as "political" (translate anti-government)

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my question would be - if not Dillinger - who was killed ?

SD51 - I would give you a title but it would be deleted as "political" (translate anti-government)

? :tongue3: You mean someone in government Today was Killed back then Instead ?
and Someone in politics Today was Buried In 1934 ? :tongue3:

at least the way I see it, Historical Politics as related to Historical Times, or a Treasure like "Dillinger", Are Allowed as is old conspiracy theories
coffee2.gif

Personally, I see this as The History Channel Pulling Strings to Desecrate Dillinger's Grave For Ratings. -I expect they will go in & Take a Sample & Test if it's a Much for a Relative. But What if Someone in the Family Was messing around on the side?
Then the Conspiracy will live on.

The way I See the Rule, Political Parties, Political Politics & Politicians of The Present, Cannot be Put Down. Or Praised. Anywhere on TreasureNet except in the Political Forum.

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
kinda moot 'till we know who is under the slab

but the History Channel still needs a hook . . . . how about "Dillinger Ascended to Heaven, Nothing under Slab when Rolled Back"

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess it will End with Their Tests were Inconclusive !

So they can do it all over in the Future when Ratings are Needed.

I Personally hope He lived a Long Life !
I Hate the thought of anyone Dying before their Time,
especially at someone else's Hands.:coffee2:

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He may have swallowed some gold coins and they want them back

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010

That is correct. A number of decades ago, I read a book which examined the alleged death. Identification of the body was rather questionable and not up to current standards. So, it makes sense to try to re-examine the body to see if it was him. I think they have had people who later claimed to be Dillinger before they died.

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
whites 5900, Tesoro Tiger Shark on order
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If its the History Channel then the only thing we can be sure of it that there will be space aliens involved somehow.

ken135

Sep 24, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
F75LTD, G2+, Tesoro Mojave & Bandido 2 micro-max, Deep Tech GG & X
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sure the family is being compensated well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions