Summer vs fall digging

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking, heck if I quit thinking it’s over, anyhow. I prefer summer here in pa it goes to dam fast. Summer digging means many bugs, mosquitoes, ticks etc, oh well rightthe priceyou have to pay, fall means more in the woods time foundations can see clearly without high grass and weeds. Anyone out there have more success in summer or fall just wondering, well off to job, dam jobs take up to much of our free time, only one thing free don’t pay, gotta win lottery or sugar momma, lol. Have a good day everyone laugh a little it’s ok

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Winter, after a couple good snow falls knock the weeds down. In the fall, you still can't swing your detector through the tall standing weeds.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look forward to summer all year. It can definitely be tough to detect on those hot humid days but it feels good to get out in it. The fall. Pretty much the perfect time of year for metal detecting. My one gripe about it is the diminishing light! I just love being outside and interacting with history! I'm an all seasons detectorist. I'll go out in deep snow if I think I could find something! Sometimes I put treasure glory in front of personal health!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like fall and winter no sequesters bugs ticks bees less people

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess down here we don't have much change at all on the ground. We are hot all year so every hunt is hot, unless you're water or beach hunting where you can take a dip. Things have been so busy I'm not getting out as much, but I still do even if it's a sweat shop.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I hunt year round, I prefer Fall - Winter. Less bugs, shorter weeds and very nice temps.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Even though I work outside year-round in Michigan, I’m uncomfortable in temps over 70 degrees.
Therefore, I don’t get outside much in my spare time, so no detecting between June through September.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Year round, with a leaning more to FALL, Spring and Summer (water hunting). :icon_thumleft:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Winter! I do Indian artifacts now, from one or two places I can get to without having to deal with ground bees or snakes. There is always the beach, but I actually prefer the cooler seasons for that.

I start detecting in earnest in November and stop by May. This year, I found a new spot way north of here and was able to detect a plowed field till June 15, then was laid up for awhile. It's been Indian artifacts for the last 10 days!

Ancientpaths

Greenie
Aug 6, 2019
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My question is?? Do you detect way better when the ground is wet due to frost and rain. Do you get more depth?

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Winter down here when the temps drop into the 60s! Plus, I hunt mostly plowed fields and they are open during the cold weather.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread