Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One of the other tormentors of the south are chiggers, super small and very annoying monsters. The old time fix to prevent them was to use an old sock filled with sulfur powder. You would bang the sock against your feet and ankles and that would do the job. Downside was yellow looking feet and pants but oh well. Anyways, The wife's sister and family came in from Wisconsin and wanted to walk everywhere outside. I warned them about chiggers but that went in one ear and out the other. So that evening, everyone was busy scratching their ankles etc and then they asked what caused the welts.

I grinned and told them again, Chiggers! Now I had their attention but now they wanted to know how to treat them. What we always did was a soaking in a bleach water bath so that was what happened. I still get chiggers but I am pretty good about not scratching them in the first place. I also keep a spray bottle filled with bleach water to spray on them.

Arkansas... ticks, chiggers and of course the various flying blood suckers from mosquitoes to horse and deer flies. Then there are the saw briars, blackberries and poison oak then other stinging bugs like hornets, yellow jackets, bees, wasps, scorpions, snakes and big furry mammals. So what's not to like?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Where we live we have those pesky "no-see-ums" (can't see those tiny critters, but their bite you can feel) at the beaches at sunset. They make beach hunting tough if you do not take preventive measures.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absorbine Jr. worked on some bites I had, but they don't like me very well.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Where we live we have those pesky "no-see-ums" (can't see those tiny critters, but their bite you can feel) at the beaches at sunset. They make beach hunting tough if you do not take preventive measures.

When I lived on Pine Island Fl. the nosseums (chiggers) were so bad that walking to your car 100' would have you covered and itching for days. Along with the misqitoes it was unbearable. From June to Nov you couldn't go outside unless you were covered up in 98* heat. So....

PLEASE don't move to Florida. There are billions of bugs, snakes, wild hogs, lizards and the heat is unbearable. And of course us old people can't drive and sit on I-95, I-75 and I-4 reading our maps and wondering where we are causing hours of backups and delays. The Canadians come down every winter and really jam up the place. The waters are filled with sharks, alligators and just about everything here in nature wants to eat you. The flesh-eating disease will kill you. The hurricanes will blow your house down and the 4" of a summer rain will flood it. We can't run elections and have really stupid people running our Guberment...

The crazy crackers here all carry guns and knives and hate Yankees and people from the West coast.
WA, OR, TX or Az are much better places so go check them out first and forget about Florida...

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I lived on Pine Island Fl. the nosseums (chiggers) were so bad that walking to your car 100' would have you covered and itching for days. Along with the misqitoes it was unbearable. From June to Nov you couldn't go outside unless you were covered up in 98* heat. So....

PLEASE don't move to Florida. There are billions of bugs, snakes, wild hogs, lizards and the heat is unbearable. And of course us old people can't drive and sit on I-95, I-75 and I-4 reading our maps and wondering where we are causing hours of backups and delays. The Canadians come down every winter and really jam up the place. The waters are filled with sharks, alligators and just about everything here in nature wants to eat you. The flesh-eating disease will kill you. The hurricanes will blow your house down and the 4" of a summer rain will flood it. We can't run elections and have really stupid people running our Guberment...

The crazy crackers here all carry guns and knives and hate Yankees and people from the West coast.
WA, OR, TX or Az are much better places so go check them out first and forget about Florida...

yup the man knows his Florida . except no see-ums and chiggers are not the same thing here in va . no see-ums fly and chiggers eat your butt from the ground up.

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never had to deal with no-see-ums when I lived in clearwater and ocala but was unlucky enought to get my fill at Paris island. I feel for ya'll down there.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We certainly have our share of annoying bloodsuckers up here in Pennsylvania. Lots of OFF, DEEP WOODS.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the combination of water and Tea Tree Oil in a spray bottle. You can spray it right on your skin because its all natural. Spray it on your clothes, and around ankles and wrists, back of neck, wherever you want. It works well for Chiggers, Mosquito's, and especially Ticks.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
When as a child we got chiggers! Granny would take fingernail polish and coat the wound. This would kill the chiggers as it cut off their breathing, suffocated them.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Had the delight of my first chigger bites last summer. About the itchiest danged things...

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy some permethrin spray. You spray your clothes (while you're not wearing them) and let it dry. You won't get chiggers or ticks. Gary

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

LOL!! You forgot the Scorpions. Besides the Florida Bark, Hentz Striped and Guiana Striped species, I encountered an orangish/red specie one night when I stepped out the back door of our apartment in Key West bare footed and stepped right on it. Luckily, he or she only stung me slightly on my' left big toe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread