What are all of these itchy bumps? We call those Chiggers
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree27Likes
  • 11 Post By dirtlooter
  • 4 Post By Professor of Engineering
  • 1 Post By smokeythecat
  • 3 Post By Billieg
  • 3 Post By ticndig
  • 2 Post By against the wind
  • 1 Post By DeepseekerADS
  • 1 Post By releventchair
  • 1 Post By ToddsPoint

Thread: What are all of these itchy bumps? We call those Chiggers

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    12269 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)

What are all of these itchy bumps? We call those Chiggers

One of the other tormentors of the south are chiggers, super small and very annoying monsters. The old time fix to prevent them was to use an old sock filled with sulfur powder. You would bang the sock against your feet and ankles and that would do the job. Downside was yellow looking feet and pants but oh well. Anyways, The wife's sister and family came in from Wisconsin and wanted to walk everywhere outside. I warned them about chiggers but that went in one ear and out the other. So that evening, everyone was busy scratching their ankles etc and then they asked what caused the welts.

I grinned and told them again, Chiggers! Now I had their attention but now they wanted to know how to treat them. What we always did was a soaking in a bleach water bath so that was what happened. I still get chiggers but I am pretty good about not scratching them in the first place. I also keep a spray bottle filled with bleach water to spray on them.

Arkansas... ticks, chiggers and of course the various flying blood suckers from mosquitoes to horse and deer flies. Then there are the saw briars, blackberries and poison oak then other stinging bugs like hornets, yellow jackets, bees, wasps, scorpions, snakes and big furry mammals. So what's not to like?
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    26920 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Thank you for sharing!

Where we live we have those pesky "no-see-ums" (can't see those tiny critters, but their bite you can feel) at the beaches at sunset. They make beach hunting tough if you do not take preventive measures.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    22879 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Absorbine Jr. worked on some bites I had, but they don't like me very well.
    SD51 likes this.

us
    Jul 2019
    Deltona Fl
    AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
    351 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor of Engineering View Post
    Thank you for sharing!

Where we live we have those pesky "no-see-ums" (can't see those tiny critters, but their bite you can feel) at the beaches at sunset. They make beach hunting tough if you do not take preventive measures.
    When I lived on Pine Island Fl. the nosseums (chiggers) were so bad that walking to your car 100' would have you covered and itching for days. Along with the misqitoes it was unbearable. From June to Nov you couldn't go outside unless you were covered up in 98* heat. So....

PLEASE don't move to Florida. There are billions of bugs, snakes, wild hogs, lizards and the heat is unbearable. And of course us old people can't drive and sit on I-95, I-75 and I-4 reading our maps and wondering where we are causing hours of backups and delays. The Canadians come down every winter and really jam up the place. The waters are filled with sharks, alligators and just about everything here in nature wants to eat you. The flesh-eating disease will kill you. The hurricanes will blow your house down and the 4" of a summer rain will flood it. We can't run elections and have really stupid people running our Guberment...

The crazy crackers here all carry guns and knives and hate Yankees and people from the West coast.
    WA, OR, TX or Az are much better places so go check them out first and forget about Florida...
    SD51, huntsman53 and Flipperfla like this.
    Looking for a hunting buddy in or around Deltona Fl.

us
    Apr 2009
    Cumberland Va
    T-2-SE
    370 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
    When I lived on Pine Island Fl. the nosseums (chiggers) were so bad that walking to your car 100' would have you covered and itching for days. Along with the misqitoes it was unbearable. From June to Nov you couldn't go outside unless you were covered up in 98* heat. So....

PLEASE don't move to Florida. There are billions of bugs, snakes, wild hogs, lizards and the heat is unbearable. And of course us old people can't drive and sit on I-95, I-75 and I-4 reading our maps and wondering where we are causing hours of backups and delays. The Canadians come down every winter and really jam up the place. The waters are filled with sharks, alligators and just about everything here in nature wants to eat you. The flesh-eating disease will kill you. The hurricanes will blow your house down and the 4" of a summer rain will flood it. We can't run elections and have really stupid people running our Guberment...

The crazy crackers here all carry guns and knives and hate Yankees and people from the West coast.
    WA, OR, TX or Az are much better places so go check them out first and forget about Florida...
    yup the man knows his Florida . except no see-ums and chiggers are not the same thing here in va . no see-ums fly and chiggers eat your butt from the ground up.

us
    Oct 2014
    Amboy Wa.
    AT Pro
    526 times
    Metal Detecting
    Never had to deal with no-see-ums when I lived in clearwater and ocala but was unlucky enought to get my fill at Paris island. I feel for ya'll down there.

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    20746 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    We certainly have our share of annoying bloodsuckers up here in Pennsylvania. Lots of OFF, DEEP WOODS.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

I use the combination of water and Tea Tree Oil in a spray bottle. You can spray it right on your skin because its all natural. Spray it on your clothes, and around ankles and wrists, back of neck, wherever you want. It works well for Chiggers, Mosquito's, and especially Ticks.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    17629 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    When as a child we got chiggers! Granny would take fingernail polish and coat the wound. This would kill the chiggers as it cut off their breathing, suffocated them.
    releventchair likes this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    19209 times
    Had the delight of my first chigger bites last summer. About the itchiest danged things...
    DeepseekerADS likes this.

us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    2891 times
    Metal Detecting
    Buy some permethrin spray. You spray your clothes (while you're not wearing them) and let it dry. You won't get chiggers or ticks. Gary
    ticndig likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6682 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Billieg View Post

LOL!! You forgot the Scorpions. Besides the Florida Bark, Hentz Striped and Guiana Striped species, I encountered an orangish/red specie one night when I stepped out the back door of our apartment in Key West bare footed and stepped right on it. Luckily, he or she only stung me slightly on my' left big toe.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links