Banner : to be or not to be. That is the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now before I get lambasted I am starting this thread to voice an opinion. Several months back I posted a thread about a cellar I dug at which I found my first and only to date GW button. It was in great shape and I am thrilled to have it . To the best of my knowledge I did not receive ; nor did I expect to receive a single banner vote on it. After all anyone who frequents Today’s Finds knows the basic heraldic eagle design is not all that rare and are often uncovered here in New England. Right now on Today’s Finds a digger found one and the find has gotten a ton of banner votes . I realize it probably will not ; and in my opinion ;should not ; be a banner find . I say this because newer members should know the difference between what is truly rare and special and what is special to them. Before I vote for any banner I go back and look and see if a particular find deserved a nod. For instance I am one who doesn’t think every gold coin is banner ; sorry , I know they are cool and I’d love to find one, but a common date gold coin is to me not a banner find . Now a rare colonial gold guinea is a no brainer. So people take a breath before voting banner and save it for try special finds. After all it’s the Medal of Honor on this forum.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gaspipe, the acts of a MOH winner are closely scrutinized before that
award is given. For a "Banner" item, it is based on the votes of the
general membership, therefore any find earning the award is rather
subjective; there is no required standard that must be met.

In other words, don't sweat the small stuff..8-)

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went back through your posts into March, and did not find what you referred to. If you would give the date, I'd look and give my personal opinion why you did not get a banner vote. It is kind of hit and miss from what I've seen, and as DD says, you shouldn't sweat it too much.

OP
OP
G

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me I’am not sweating anything . Just having a “discussion”. You and me will have to agree to disagree on this one. I think the banner thing is neat ; other forums don’t have it. To me it highlights special finds that I personally always check out; because I don’t read them all; I admit I may a bit of a snob when it comes to special finds .

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Date of op was September 21, 2018.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Trust me I’am not sweating anything . Just having a “discussion”. You and me will have to agree to disagree on this one. I think the banner thing is neat ; other forums don’t have it. To me it highlights special finds that I personally always check out; because I don’t read them all; I admit I may a bit of a snob when it comes to special finds .

So mister cranky, what's making you think I'm disagreeing with you about anything. Thanks to Smokey, who took the time to look up the OP you refer to, I don't see your belated beef. Your post got 49 likes, if that means anything to you, and three full pages of positive, congratulatory responses. That beautiful GW button up top right now IS gorgeous! Yours wasn't so much. Maybe that's why. I see a lot of great finds that don't make banner.

Also, IMO, I'm thinking Bad Form complaining 'cause you didn't get Banner.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I think what drives a lot of banner voting is the popularity of the member that's discovered something that's potentially a banner....being popular gets votes however, that in and of itself doesn't guarantee a spot up top though. I absolutely agree with Gaspipe on GW buttons. Seems like one a month for the last four to five years.....just how rare are they? I don't even open up GW button posts anymore. GW buttons are showing up more than gold coins. The GW button maxi's will cry all day long about the rarity but fail to conduct due diligence research on just how many buttons might have been made. I would venture to say that every single entity that was capable of making GW buttons made them and made them often. I will agree with the maxi's that some varieties are rare but as a lumped group, GW buttons have shown to be plentiful by this site alone. There was a post by a member that found one before they become "hot" on Treasurenet and to paraphrase him, "didn't think much of it, it's was just a nice button."

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now imagine that you're the other guy who right now is buzzing from this historic find and all the good attention it is receiving and then comes across this thread.....
Which is basically complaining about not getting the same attention but at the same time stating that a GW button is a common find and that you should not vote banner unless it is special.
Just because you didn't get the votes, now you're trying to sway members not to send him any votes. Kind of immature don't you think?
Why wreck his vibe? Does making the banner change the significance of your find?
Does it make you a better detectorist? Why are people so caught up in illusions?
:icon_scratch:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
And Gaspipe....come on! You sounded off pretty heavy with your disdain for banner qualifications in October 2016. I'm not sure if that find ever made it but don't bite the hand that feeds brother.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner is up to the people, you didn't get banner because the people didn't see a banner, pretty simple really...

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Now imagine that you're the other guy who right now is buzzing from this historic find and all the good attention it is receiving and then comes across this thread.....
Which is basically complaining about not getting the same attention but at the same time stating that a GW button is a common find and that you should not vote banner unless it is special.
Just because you didn't get the votes, now you're trying to sway members not to send him any votes. Kind of immature don't you think?
Why wreck his vibe? Does making the banner change the significance of your find?
Does it make you a better detectorist? Why are people so caught up in illusions?
:icon_scratch:

Good point, if anything this post all but guarantees it will make the banner!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't feel that I will ever find a Banner, and that doesn't matter to me at all, PERIOD!!!

That last silver war nickel I dug was Banner enough for me.

It is all about the delights we find, nothing more.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think what drives a lot of banner voting is the popularity of the member that's discovered something that's potentially a banner....being popular gets votes however, that in and of itself doesn't guarantee a spot up top though. I absolutely agree with Gaspipe on GW buttons. Seems like one a month for the last four to five years.....just how rare are they? I don't even open up GW button posts anymore. GW buttons are showing up more than gold coins. The GW button maxi's will cry all day long about the rarity but fail to conduct due diligence research on just how many buttons might have been made. I would venture to say that every single entity that was capable of making GW buttons made them and made them often. I will agree with the maxi's that some varieties are rare but as a lumped group, GW buttons have shown to be plentiful by this site alone. There was a post by a member that found one before they become "hot" on Treasurenet and to paraphrase him, "didn't think much of it, it's was just a nice button."

It has absolutely nothing, none what so ever with how popular a member is. A find can have 50 banner votes and not make banner or it could have 20 and make banner. While members votes and opinions are a major part of a banner, it is not the only or final factor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has absolutely nothing, none what so ever with how popular a member is. A find can have 50 banner votes and not make banner or it could have 20 and make banner. While members votes and opinions are a major part of a banner, it is not the only or final factor.
Always fun to start a “general discussion “ on this site. But I think a lot of respondents need to relax and have a beer or maybe a Prozac . Keep smiling and KAG. Very lovingly yours Gaspipe

Last edited:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky

I think you misinterpreted my thoughts? Popular members receive more banner votes from the members occasionally, as mentioned earlier and I agree with you that being popular isn’t a factor in the decision process.

“being popular gets votes however, that in and of itself doesn't guarantee a spot up top though”

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you misinterpreted my thoughts? Popular members receive more banner votes from the members occasionally, as mentioned earlier and I agree with you that being popular isn’t a factor in the decision process.

“being popular gets votes however, that in and of itself doesn't guarantee a spot up top though”

You are correct, I missed that line, my apologies.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Check Votes. If something is Getting a lot of attention, I look in and see
if the Pictures Look Good, The Find is Not something we see every other Day
And it keeps the Banner looking like a Variety, not specific to certain items.

Example, As long as I have say there will Never be to Gold Coins, or 2 Silver coins Side by side,

or even 2 round Gold Items unless Like this

oooaaaa.jpg

Like I said Variety. Take Plenty of Pics. Add Different Views, Not just a close up round Object Pic,

As for Banner Votes, We get Tons of Banner Votes.

When I glance in 1 Vote means Nothing, No one seems to agree

000bbb.jpg

Or are Voting Banner on someones Reply instead of On some ones Find
And they aren't Totaling up.

Another Issue Calling attention To your own Post And bringing up Banner
Is Not recommended if You want Banner . The OP Says he doesn't Care so
I Guess that's why no multiple Votes .

But if You Find or see something Cool That's not Up there, Vote.
But don't Advertise you want Votes :icon_thumleft: Then it comes Down to If your
Popular enough that your Friends here Feel Sorry & Vote for the wrong reason.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Thank you for correcting me on that..I was thinking it was just member votes.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff is the man! Guys and gals, it's about having fun and finding stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions