Banner : to be or not to be. That is the question.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Banner : to be or not to be. That is the question.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1

    Sep 2013
    New England
    Garrett AT Pro; F75
    878
    995 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Banner : to be or not to be. That is the question.

    Now before I get lambasted I am starting this thread to voice an opinion. Several months back I posted a thread about a cellar I dug at which I found my first and only to date GW button. It was in great shape and I am thrilled to have it . To the best of my knowledge I did not receive ; nor did I expect to receive a single banner vote on it. After all anyone who frequents Today’s Finds knows the basic heraldic eagle design is not all that rare and are often uncovered here in New England. Right now on Today’s Finds a digger found one and the find has gotten a ton of banner votes . I realize it probably will not ; and in my opinion ;should not ; be a banner find . I say this because newer members should know the difference between what is truly rare and special and what is special to them. Before I vote for any banner I go back and look and see if a particular find deserved a nod. For instance I am one who doesn’t think every gold coin is banner ; sorry , I know they are cool and I’d love to find one, but a common date gold coin is to me not a banner find . Now a rare colonial gold guinea is a no brainer. So people take a breath before voting banner and save it for try special finds. After all it’s the Medal of Honor on this forum.
    Last edited by Gaspipe; Aug 08, 2019 at 05:46 PM.

  2. #2
    us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    3,425
    5863 times
    Prospecting
    Gaspipe, the acts of a MOH winner are closely scrutinized before that
    award is given. For a "Banner" item, it is based on the votes of the
    general membership, therefore any find earning the award is rather
    subjective; there is no required standard that must be met.

    In other words, don't sweat the small stuff..
    Last edited by DizzyDigger; Aug 09, 2019 at 01:47 AM.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

    "If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

    Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

  3. #3
    Charter Member
    us
    papa

    Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    3,517
    6558 times
    Metal Detecting
    I went back through your posts into March, and did not find what you referred to. If you would give the date, I'd look and give my personal opinion why you did not get a banner vote. It is kind of hit and miss from what I've seen, and as DD says, you shouldn't sweat it too much.
    Simon1 likes this.


    "And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

  4. #4

    Sep 2013
    New England
    Garrett AT Pro; F75
    878
    995 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Trust me I’am not sweating anything . Just having a “discussion”. You and me will have to agree to disagree on this one. I think the banner thing is neat ; other forums don’t have it. To me it highlights special finds that I personally always check out; because I don’t read them all; I admit I may a bit of a snob when it comes to special finds .
    Kray Gelder and SeabeeRon like this.

  5. #5
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    13,379
    22879 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Date of op was September 21, 2018.

  6. #6
    Charter Member
    us
    papa

    Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    3,517
    6558 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipe View Post
    Trust me I’am not sweating anything . Just having a “discussion”. You and me will have to agree to disagree on this one. I think the banner thing is neat ; other forums don’t have it. To me it highlights special finds that I personally always check out; because I don’t read them all; I admit I may a bit of a snob when it comes to special finds .
    So mister cranky, what's making you think I'm disagreeing with you about anything. Thanks to Smokey, who took the time to look up the OP you refer to, I don't see your belated beef. Your post got 49 likes, if that means anything to you, and three full pages of positive, congratulatory responses. That beautiful GW button up top right now IS gorgeous! Yours wasn't so much. Maybe that's why. I see a lot of great finds that don't make banner.

    Also, IMO, I'm thinking Bad Form complaining 'cause you didn't get Banner.


    "And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

  7. #7
    1320

    Dec 2004
    East Central Kentucky
    3,299
    1982 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I think what drives a lot of banner voting is the popularity of the member that's discovered something that's potentially a banner....being popular gets votes however, that in and of itself doesn't guarantee a spot up top though. I absolutely agree with Gaspipe on GW buttons. Seems like one a month for the last four to five years.....just how rare are they? I don't even open up GW button posts anymore. GW buttons are showing up more than gold coins. The GW button maxi's will cry all day long about the rarity but fail to conduct due diligence research on just how many buttons might have been made. I would venture to say that every single entity that was capable of making GW buttons made them and made them often. I will agree with the maxi's that some varieties are rare but as a lumped group, GW buttons have shown to be plentiful by this site alone. There was a post by a member that found one before they become "hot" on Treasurenet and to paraphrase him, "didn't think much of it, it's was just a nice button."

  8. #8
    ca
    Upper Fort Garry

    Jul 2012
    In da bush
    Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
    1,167
    1768 times
    Living for the hunt!
    Now imagine that you're the other guy who right now is buzzing from this historic find and all the good attention it is receiving and then comes across this thread.....
    Which is basically complaining about not getting the same attention but at the same time stating that a GW button is a common find and that you should not vote banner unless it is special.
    Just because you didn't get the votes, now you're trying to sway members not to send him any votes. Kind of immature don't you think?
    Why wreck his vibe? Does making the banner change the significance of your find?
    Does it make you a better detectorist? Why are people so caught up in illusions?
    A metal detector can only do so much..........
    It's up to you to do the rest!

  9. #9
    1320

    Dec 2004
    East Central Kentucky
    3,299
    1982 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    And Gaspipe....come on! You sounded off pretty heavy with your disdain for banner qualifications in October 2016. I'm not sure if that find ever made it but don't bite the hand that feeds brother.

  10. #10
    Charter Member
    us
    Only boaring people get board

    Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    Mine Lab Equinox 800, Mine Lab Pro Find 35, Garrett ATpro, Garrett Pro Pointer 2, Whites ID5 Classic
    852
    1961 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner is up to the people, you didn't get banner because the people didn't see a banner, pretty simple really...
    DizzyDigger likes this.
    I'll sleep when I'm dead

  11. #11
    1320

    Dec 2004
    East Central Kentucky
    3,299
    1982 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddyhandz View Post
    Now imagine that you're the other guy who right now is buzzing from this historic find and all the good attention it is receiving and then comes across this thread.....
    Which is basically complaining about not getting the same attention but at the same time stating that a GW button is a common find and that you should not vote banner unless it is special.
    Just because you didn't get the votes, now you're trying to sway members not to send him any votes. Kind of immature don't you think?
    Why wreck his vibe? Does making the banner change the significance of your find?
    Does it make you a better detectorist? Why are people so caught up in illusions?
    Good point, if anything this post all but guarantees it will make the banner!

  12. #12
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    13,117
    17629 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    I don't feel that I will ever find a Banner, and that doesn't matter to me at all, PERIOD!!!

    That last silver war nickel I dug was Banner enough for me.

    It is all about the delights we find, nothing more.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

    "'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

    The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

    The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

    The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

  13. #13
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    37,659
    29628 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by 1320 View Post
    I think what drives a lot of banner voting is the popularity of the member that's discovered something that's potentially a banner....being popular gets votes however, that in and of itself doesn't guarantee a spot up top though. I absolutely agree with Gaspipe on GW buttons. Seems like one a month for the last four to five years.....just how rare are they? I don't even open up GW button posts anymore. GW buttons are showing up more than gold coins. The GW button maxi's will cry all day long about the rarity but fail to conduct due diligence research on just how many buttons might have been made. I would venture to say that every single entity that was capable of making GW buttons made them and made them often. I will agree with the maxi's that some varieties are rare but as a lumped group, GW buttons have shown to be plentiful by this site alone. There was a post by a member that found one before they become "hot" on Treasurenet and to paraphrase him, "didn't think much of it, it's was just a nice button."
    It has absolutely nothing, none what so ever with how popular a member is. A find can have 50 banner votes and not make banner or it could have 20 and make banner. While members votes and opinions are a major part of a banner, it is not the only or final factor.
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Aug 09, 2019 at 09:49 AM.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

    2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

    Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

    USAF 1967-1971

    I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

    No Expiration Date!

  14. #14
    us
    We Build, We Fight!

    Aug 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA.
    ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
    1,408
    907 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Treasure_Hunter and Simon1 like this.
    SeabeeRon Santa Cruz,CA.

  15. #15

    Sep 2013
    New England
    Garrett AT Pro; F75
    878
    995 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    It has absolutely nothing, none what so ever with how popular a member is. A find can have 50 banner votes and not make banner or it could have 20 and make banner. While members votes and opinions are a major part of a banner, it is not the only or final factor.
    Always fun to start a “general discussion “ on this site. But I think a lot of respondents need to relax and have a beer or maybe a Prozac . Keep smiling and KAG. Very lovingly yours Gaspipe
    Last edited by Gaspipe; Aug 09, 2019 at 12:15 PM.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Banner Question?
    By kuger in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Apr 13, 2012, 12:56 PM
  2. Question about banner? Actually 2 questions
    By Canadian hunter in forum Coin Roll Hunting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Mar 03, 2012, 12:31 PM
  3. Nominate For Banner Question
    By metal mania in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Nov 25, 2009, 06:35 PM
  4. just a quick question about the banner
    By strike it rich in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Nov 27, 2007, 07:37 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0