How do you find places to hunt.

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can check out your public library, check the 900 section there you can read about the history of your area, read autobiographys that will lead you to places of old, the dept of parks in your city might have a map of the area parks, your local historical society will have info and friendly elders will have info too. The rest is up to you..

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, ask what you want to find? Stuff is everywhere. The oldest stuff is close to the coast. The Susquehanna River was a major thoroughfare for thousands of years. I would "go for the gold" so to speak and find the French and Indian war history for your area and for 100 miles around it. It's there.

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a member of my town's Facebook page where people post about upcoming events in town or small talk about real estate and other happenings.

I posted a picture of a couple of my finds and my detector that went something like this: "I recently got a new (used) metal detector and I'm looking for more opportunities to learn the signals better on it. If you've lost a set of keys, jewelry or anything else that might be picked up by a metal detector, message me. Maybe I can find it for you! Not charging anything, just interested in learning the machine better and if I can help you out in doing so, so much the better ��. I found this medallion at the beach with the name HALLIE on it but after reaching out to the maker, no luck in finding the owner. ( the green and brown 'coin' is actually a Roosevelt dime--pretty poor condition but still cool). Additionally, I'd love to detect along the Creek. If you have property that it runs through or backs up to and would allow me a few hours, I'd love to see what I can find along it. The upside is, I pick up any metal trash I find and dispose of it! ��"

Within 1 hour I had a friend of mine text me asking if I could help find a lost diamond necklace on her property.
Within half a day, I had 3 permissions for me to go detect on their private property directly on the Facebook post.
I also had a guy ask if I can help find his lost dog tags (for his dog..not military ones). I may get more off of those if I find some of the missing things for the folks who reached back out. Surely they'll tell people and I'll post photos of what I found. Word gets around.

Hope this helps somebody who reads it.
EDITED to add the photo of my post of FB
Capturefb.PNG

Last edited:

Arthur-Dent

Banned
Jul 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a pretty redhead with you. They'll be begging you to detect their yards.
Dunno, works for me!

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ROIGuy, that is a great way to go about it. I think I will do something similar when I get time. It is the best when permissions come to you! You might try driving around the old neighborhoods on the weekends and try to catch someone outside!

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am not the authority for finding places, but I'd check newspaper headlines for the era that you are interested. I by chance, found an 1862 article from a local town, and uncovered the locations of two confederate camps, a union camp, and a previously unknown battle site. It is amazing what old newspapers can give up.

Arthur-Dent

Banned
Jul 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a serious note, Google earth and my drone are my two best tools!
Having fresh aerial photos really helps in finding depressions in the landscape.
Another great way to secure permissions and to find places to detect, is to volunteer at any local retirement home.
Many of those elderly people don't have anyone to talk to.
You'll brighten theirs and your own life in allowing them to talk about the past. Loneliness does that.
Make some friends at the local historical society.
That has opened many locations for myself.
Find the closest Bar near where the DPW or DOT guys have a beer and make friends.
Several county Engineers give me heads up on street tear-outs.

This lifestyle or hobby for others, is like any other thing that you wish success from...
You get out of it, what you put into it.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Plat Books for my farm hunts. In town, if the house looks old, knock on the door !

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
takes a pair of steel globes.
I've developed them over the years ! I was a UPS Delivery Driver for 27 years, and am currently an Inmate Supervisor at our County Jail. It takes a lot to rattle me. A lot of people are afraid of the rejection. If the owner says no, I just politely thank them for their time, and move on to the next one.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've developed them over the years ! I was a UPS Delivery Driver for 27 years, and am currently an Inmate Supervisor at our County Jail. It takes a lot to rattle me. A lot of people are afraid of the rejection. If the owner says no, I just politely thank them for their time, and move on to the next one.
Between the years of 2010-2014, I was on a door-knocking roll, getting many more yes’s than no. For some reason, I lost my nerve (or maybe I’d already hit all the good properties in this area).

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between the years of 2010-2014, I was on a door-knocking roll, getting many more yes’s than no. For some reason, I lost my nerve (or maybe I’d already hit all the good properties in this area).
It's our day and age. People are getting more afraid to open their doors to a stranger, for obvious reasons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread