How my kid got my bucket lister!

JMaynard

Aug 4, 2018
Texas
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger, BH Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My youngest boy was about 9 at the time and completely enamored with all things WW2. This wasn't long after I first got into metal detecting, and it was an interesting idea to him. I was still learning the ropes, and the whole family was asking if I found anything good every time I came back into the house from the back yard with dirty hands and a sweaty brow. Finally one day the youngest decided to tag along with me. Knowing his interest in history, I fully encouraged it, and off we went, me swinging away and him suddenly getting very bored. I had told him, the first good signal we get, he could keep whatever was there, so even though he was bored and hot he stuck it out.

I don't remember how long it was into the hunt, but there was suddenly a high tone, repeatable signal ringing out, and soon we were digging. A few prods with the pinpointer and we found it, a bit of silver poking out into the daylight, and there it was....... A 1943 Mercury Dime, one of the coins I had really, really been wanting to find, laying in my kids grubby little hand...... Now it was probably poor parenting on my part, but I told him that was one of the coins I had really hoped to find, and I'd gladly trade him the JFK half dollar I had found in the front yard (he also really likes those). His reply was classic, simply looked at me and said "No, I'm good" and stuffed the coin in his pocket while walking away. All I could do was stand there with my jaw on the floor and laugh. Oh yeah I swung away in that area looking for another, but have only found enough nails to build a new house. At the very least he lets me look at it every one in a while.

Anyone else ever had something like this happen to them?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14: I think this has happened to everyone here at least once. :icon_thumleft:

Arthur-Dent

Banned
Jul 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a heart warming story!
Thanks for sharing it!
I'll make you a deal!
If you promise to bury them in the yard for your youngin's to find, I'll send you several mercs..so they can "find" them!

I didn't know until I was an adult that my pops was seeding our yard with all sorts of coins for me to "find" when I was a kid in the 70's. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread